Pro Cycling Thread 2023

Soldato
Now cx is almost over for the season
, it's now only a week away from opening weekend but there has been some cracking racing already this year.

Last week's andalucia race sounded great. Although I didn't catch much of it. Pogacar has been going insane winning the first 3 days of his racing year in Spain.....

And then the last couple of days in the algarve has had some great racing. I won't spoil yesterdays race but if you get the chance watch back the last 30k or so (it was a tailwind so only about 30mins)but a real classic of a stage that if it was the tdf would be talked about for ages!

If the classics are anything like CX worlds then it's going to be a battle between mvdp and wva, as well as some huge crowds (I was lucky enough to get over to hoogerheide for it and the support was insane).

Here's to a good season with hopefully less talk of relegation and more open racing like we had for chunks of last year.

Soldato
OP
Mega ride, to hold off such a strong group with 3 pairs in it was incredible. Just looked in control the whole last 50k. Hopefully can get a few more under his belt.

Paris Nice today and terreno addriatico later in the week should have some good racing!

Soldato
OP
Silent assassin! Came from nowhere and just had one of those days! That gap over the top was never going to be made up against vdp. Amazing to see ganna win the sprint for second in that company! Shame pidcock wasn't there as he could have had a real chance!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Pretty awesome wheel spin at speed and a big highside and then to slide over the line to get 5th for Cav!!
That was a huge crash, and I thought the Clarke finish was down to them messing about too much. Surely it's better to come second and push to the line for them and the team than to let a sprint win. Dull day in the end yesterday.

Amazing short track racing in the mtb yesterday. Should watch it on catch up if you're that way inclined. Won't put spoilers in.

Soldato
OP
That was some ride from healy to go clear with so far to go and stretch the lead on the peloton afterwards. Minor cracks from Remco but suspect there was a tempering of effort in advance of tomorrow. Going to be a good next few weeks though.

Soldato
OP
I reckon it'll change lead a number of times. Hope roglic has his regular implosion. Ineos as a squad looking very strong, so could play some different moves. Jumbo have been non existent so far, but suspect that's saving legs for that last week. Be interesting to see what quickstep do for the next 2 weeks, with 6 riders primed to come into it later in the race having nothing holding them back.

Soldato
OP
Following the positive test of maglia rosa Remco Evenepoel on Sunday, a further round of tests were made on the riders and staff that remained in Italy, with Jan Hirt, Josef Cerny, Louis Vervaeke and Mattia Cattaneo unfortunately unable to continue. Not sure where its from...

Soldato
OP
Very slow burner indeed, weather didn't help the action. Big two days incoming... Hopefully Cav can finish it off today. Be sad to see him go, and really hoping he gets that 35th win in the summer.

Soldato
OP
Absolutely gutted for G to come so close, expecially with the start of the year he had with so much illness. Shows there's life in the old dog yet! Hopefully we'll see him at the vuelta.

Soldato
OP
Luckily not had a death for a while, but Gino Mader has died following his crash yesterday in Tour de Suisse. Wondered where Sheffield had gone at the finish and then read he'd crashed, but didn't sound anywhere near that bad last night. Awful news and lots of complaints about the descent last night from riders. UCI and commissaires need to do work to reduce risks especially in the finale of many stages with so many complaints either in town centres for sprints or descents on not the greatest of roads. Although a surprise at Tour De Suisse where they're usually so pristine.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, terrible news. I hate watching descents, just waiting for someone to come off... makes me squirm. I don't know what the answer is though...
Think most descents are fine in general stages, but when they place them right near the end when time can be gained it always causes issues as riders go above the limits.

Soldato
OP
Today's the day, despite my lack of love this year I'm still going to get sucked in to the tdf. Really hope cav gets that win. Be great to see him get it early then grab a few more that he seems to do once he has a positive flow going

Soldato
OP
Crazy finish today. 2 horse race already, but yates could do what roglic did to Pog last year. Incredible win by lafay, great to see someone catch out the big boys and great for cofidis after so many years.

Soldato
OP
The way he's just appeared those last 2 stages and where he's come from has actually led to Ewan and Cavendish being hampered somewhat, those 2 appear to be the fastest at the end of the sprint, but making up too much ground. Cav's next chance on Friday then slim pickings until the 3rd week i'd say.

Back
Top Bottom