PSU fails to wake PC from sleep reliably

Associate
Out of the blue, following behaviour:

• PC boots out of cold state
  • When I put it to sleep, and try to wake it later, half of the time, I hear a click, the sleep light goes out permanently and it doesn't react to power button presses anymore.
  • I have to fully shut off (with the I/O button) the PSU before I can start my PC again.

Faulty / failing PSU? (A 3 year old Corsair RMX850)

The fact that I can sometimes get it to boot fully and click around in Windows leads me to believe that the actual components are fine, and it's just the power required to wake from sleep that is failing in the PSU?

Soldato
I have not changed anything to my motherboard BIOS in the last 6 months.

Normally I'd see if I can replicate the issue using another OS install, but you may not have the option, it is a good thing to rule out software before you start stripping the machine down. You could easily pick up a cheap £10 120GB SSD for a quick test. :)

Associate
OP
If it was a software issue, wouldn't the behaviour be consistent? I get about a 50/50 chance it wakes from sleep.

Also relevant: we had a short power cut here yesterday. Might have disturbed something.

Soldato
If it was a software issue, wouldn't the behaviour be consistent? I get about a 50/50 chance it wakes from sleep.

Also relevant: we had a short power cut here yesterday. Might have disturbed something.

Always rule out software first.

Secondly always mention you've had a recent power cut first, if you had one. :p

So you have several options, test another PSU, test with just an onboard GPU if possible, reset your BIOS to defaults, check the extension/cable being used to power the machine, or move the PC to another location and see if the behavior follows it.

los

los

Associate
What windows is it? I always use to have problems with windows 10, when it went to sleep it wouldn't wake up, I turned the sleep timer off in the end.

Back
Top Bottom