PSU faulty or underwattage?

Associate
Hey all,

I recently purchased an upgrade for my aging pc. I intend to use this part in a better build later but it's also a big upgrade, but I think I've pushed the psu too far.

System: i5-6600k overclocked at 3.5ghz
ram: 16gb (also a little overclocked
MB: Asus Rog Maximus VIII Gene
Drives: 1 m.2 2 SDDs
5 case fans
PSU: Seasonic X (ss-650km)80 gold, 650w
CPU fan: air cooled.

I've had the system for about 6 years. Including use by one previous owner.

Previously I had a Nvidia geforce 1080 and this is what I've upgraded to a Sapphire Radeon 6800xt.

So everything is fine until I make GPU really work, then the system shuts off and I get a message that the mainboard anti-surge protection had kicked in. At lower workloads it's fine. And I can play some games (Mechwarroir 5) at pretty high settings and see the GPU draw 135-140 watts happily. But when I really pushed it, just trying to test the limits that's when the surge protection kicks in. Using the Bequiet psu calculator it suggests it need 617 watts which is very close to the rating for a psu of it's age?

So I'm not sure if I have faulty PSU (which for a seasonic seems unlikely at this age but possible) or simply not enough wattage?

Any thoughts or suggestions for a replacement, other things to check?

Caporegime
Wattage should be fine IMO. Not completely unheard of for PSU’s to be faulty at this age though. How is the 6800 XT connected cable wise? A daisy chain so both power connectors use one cable or individual cables to each power connector?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
100% the 6800xt not playing nice with the psu
both are working as intended though

the 6800xt has power spikes (transients) that can hit 500w
your seasonic x650 has OCP that is very tightly regulated and will trip with the transient loads of the 6800xt

the only solution is to replace one of them

Associate
OP
Wattage should be fine IMO. Not completely unheard of for PSU’s to be faulty at this age though. How is the 6800 XT connected cable wise? A daisy chain so both power connectors use one cable or individual cables to each power connector?
Individual cables for each pci-e 8 pin (two on the gpu and one on the mainboard) But I could try replacing them.
100% the 6800xt not playing nice with the psu
both are working as intended though

the 6800xt has power spikes (transients) that can hit 500w
your seasonic x650 has OCP that is very tightly regulated and will trip with the transient loads of the 6800xt

the only solution is to replace one of them

Well the 6800xt I've only just got! 500 watt spikes? Ouch! so I need 850w as a min I think?

Man of Honour
Well the 6800xt I've only just got! 500 watt spikes? Ouch!
yes, nvidia 3000 series and amd 6000/7000 series particularly bad
nvidia seem to have learnt and transients on their 4000 series is much better
amd haven't yet sorted it out unfortunately

Ouch! so I need 850w as a min I think?
a good 750w should be sufficient, but an 850w would be better if you want more headroom

Back
Top Bottom