Revitalise this grass (have dog)

Man of Honour
thank you. i think i have a plan.
imma scarify the lawn on wednesday and seed it as well. going to rain for the next week it seems like...according to bbc weather
hopefully this should keep the lawn wet and the pigeons away :cry:

if this don't work then plastic sheets the week after it is

Last edited:
Soldato
Toolstation 2x50m roll just over a fiver.

It's very thin though, you'll need a lot of pegs or bricks to hold it down.

Umm, Is it plastic sheets rather than horticultural fleece you've used )hard to tell from picture)? It should be fleece you used as the plastic sheets wont let any rain/nutrients/air through. Something like THIS

I need to do this! We have a much smaller area to play with.

Currently patchy, a mix of cat/kids toys being left on the lawn too long last year. We also seem to get massive ant mounds which isn't ideal.

Sorry to semi hijack but should I deal with the weeds first? I grabbed a 4in1 lawn treatment thing to tackle that.

Would that be best to do, and then attack the lawn as the OP has done so well here?

I'm a novice with anything lawn related

Its hard to tell without seeing it but you would be better removing the weeds themselves rather than the 4-in-1 stuff. From what you say, your lawn is actively used so something to bear in mind in relation to the amount of work (and money) you want to spend on it. A mini-renovation is scarify, overseed, top dress and would probably be enough for what you want it for.

There are people out there that want a flawless lawn and there are plenty of people and places that will gladly take your money over and over to "help" you try and get it.

I posted earlier in the thread - there is a YT channel called Daniel Hibbert Lawn Expert. He does this as a profession and, although he will get people's lawns perfect, its a lot of work and time which is better spend with the family than with a square of green.]#

I guess what I am trying to say is dont obsess. Its grass. Get it fairly level, give it some feed once a month, cut it when it needs it and a scraify once a year is pretty much all that's needed for a functional (not pristine) lawn.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Umm, Is it plastic sheets rather than horticultural fleece you've used )hard to tell from picture)? It should be fleece you used as the plastic sheets wont let any rain/nutrients/air through. Something like THIS

Its clear polythene. I looked for fleece initially but couldn't get any locally for a reasonable price and I needed it today. Then found this article which said polythene is fine.

Soldato
OP
Not sure what is happening here, something wants to dig and I don't think it's my dog as this has happened overnight.

PXL-20240422-071856282.jpg

That patch has been dug twice now, two consecutive nights. It was where there was a slab seemingly randomly placed on the lawn. I thought it hid a drain inspection chamber but it didn't. Wonder if someone has buried an animal under there.

Last edited:
Soldato
Probably a fox... Not sure what you can about it to be honest. If it keeps happening in the one spot, you might be as well putting something down to prevent it and, when the rest of the lawn is up, seeding that one section with a metal cage of sorts around it to prevent it happening again.

The issue you have is it coming back after its all done and the new grass gets dug up again.

Soldato
OP
Probably a fox... Not sure what you can about it to be honest. If it keeps happening in the one spot, you might be as well putting something down to prevent it and, when the rest of the lawn is up, seeding that one section with a metal cage of sorts around it to prevent it happening again.

The issue you have is it coming back after its all done and the new grass gets dug up again.
There was a slab in this exact spot, to the inch almost. I took that slab up on Saturday, and Saturday night it got dug. Packed down the topsoil again, but some extra seed on, covered it with polythene, and Sunday night it gets dug again in the exact same spot, to the inch.

There has to be a smell there the foxes can detect. We do get foxes but they haven't previous dug at my lawn, from what I can tell. The dog has, in a different spot. I assumed this was the dog at first but I don't think it is. Too much of a coincidence that I lift that slab and then this happens two nights in a row.

Untitled.png

Maybe something is trying to get out, rather than get in :eek:

Man of Honour
put a camera pointing to the spot overnight and see?
might be a zombie trying to escape lol

i'd be so mad though. that's ruined all of the hard work

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ok the rain let up for a bit, so I went out and dug down in that hole (what was under the lone slab).

I dug down around 1 foot square and 1 foot deep. Found nothing but a few tree roots.

As I was backfilling I found this in the soil:

PXL-20240422-130626534.jpg

I dont know what it is. Its very straight, and the mud on it is pretty solid.

It doesn't really look like a bone to me. Maybe a piece of straight metal that's rusted thinner. But I don't know.

Anyway there appeared to be nothing else in the hole. So a few possibilities:

1. There was never anything in the hole.
2. There was something in the hole, buried just below the surface, and now its gone. i.e the foxes have took it.
3. I haven't dug deep enough, and there is still something in the hole.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Update I pulled up all the polythene sheeting. Waste of time it's so thin it was full of holes almost as soon as the dog walked on it. Plus it was meaning standing water on the surface as it couldn't soak away.

I did flatten, again, the area where a hole had been dug and two nights later it was not dug again. So maybe it was my dog after all, really don't know. I have this morning reseeded that area for a third time.

No signs of germination yet.

I might get a roll of that plastic mesh fencing and attach it to some stakes, to completely stop dog getting on there. He could jump it but best I can do.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom