Rift or Vive

Associate
I'm undecided, I knew the vive would be more than the rift as it comes with more hardware but I, like everyone else, was expecting the rift to be around £300-350 which would have been a definite buy but £500 is a lot and the vive will probably be £700 over here so I think they may have priced me out for now.

Associate
I'm pre-ordering the Vive.

Less than £700 (just) as I'd hoped. And it is the 'full' experience.

Problem with the Rift is it doesn't come with VR controllers as standard, and you need to buy a second tracking camera with the controllers when they come out later in the year. We have no idea how much 2 controllers + 1 camera will cost.

Soldato
I want to see the Avant Glyph myself just for media content viewing. It's one with direct retinal projection and seems better suited for that usage.

Anyway I've ordered both but actually because at first I just wanted the sit down experience of the Occulus CV1 initial release but then started to watch a few Vive vids. The room experience began to grow on me more but I'm going to have to shift the single bed out of my office/spare room to have enough space (the other reason to try the Occulus initially).

As I was a bit slow on the Occulus pre-order I've got 3 months to wait for it and hopefully the Vivie will be here a good month in advance so I can make a decision to just stick with that before paying for both.

Barnacles on YouTube made a pretty decent demo vid of the Vive in the last few days and OK he's not exactly the ideal showcase I was even more intrigued to try the full room stuff.

I still have reservations about the longevity of the interactive stuff where adding 360 degree rotation to games I already play regularly in 2D seems a better compromise to start with at least.

Soldato
I want to see the Avant Glyph myself just for media content viewing. It's one with direct retinal projection and seems better suited for that usage.

It's meant to be excellent for purely viewing media. Expensive, but excellent.

Only 720p I think but that doesn't really matter as it's light being beamed into your eyes, rather than looking at a pixelated screen.

Soldato
It's meant to be excellent for purely viewing media. Expensive, but excellent.

Only 720p I think but that doesn't really matter as it's light being beamed into your eyes, rather than looking at a pixelated screen.

Yep Texas Instruments have the tech for 4K or more DLP chips but as you say the way it projects means it doesn't have the same resolution or screen door artifacts like pixel based displays.

Associate
I was going to preorder both but stuck with my rift preorder only. Kinda feel like I'm doing the right thing even if its only my gut telling me so.

Soldato
For me its not even a question of which, but if at all.
I wasn't at all impressed with the DK2, bit I have preordered a rift and have day one stock on the way, so if its still not very good I can at least sell on and not lose anything

Soldato
excited but it all sucks in the end. oculus have some great games already...and I'm dying to play pcars with it. but vive is true to what VR is all about.

Alas all these companies are doing the same thing...history keeps repeating itself...but cooperation will inevitably happen in the years to come and there will be a standard integration...

Back
Top Bottom