Rimworld - strategy base building sci-fi indie game

Soldato
Working on a big outer wall, but it's taking bloody ages.

I went into assign and forbid everyone from wearing plate armour.
I've gone into the smelter, but I can't see an option to smelt plate.

LhcPcE9.jpg

Also, is there anything smart I can do about my storage room? Or is it just a simple case that I need to make it bigger as time goes by?

Last edited:
Associate
Did a bit of checking and found a thread on reddit saying it's a thus far unresolved 1.4 bug that plate armour doesn't appear in the smelter list.

As for the storage room, not bigger per se (thought that is one way), but more organised. As I expand I tend to end up with a series of smaller focused storage rooms, one that stores the steel and components near (or preferably right next to) my workshops, one that holds cloth, devilstrand and leather near my tailor, one fairly central one for storage of chemfuel and food for refueling and so on.

Soldato
Didn't know about that bug. Either sell it or drop it in a water and it will deteriorate fairly fast.

Storage is a pain and why I use mods like deep storage or stack xxl. Build shelves to hold a bit more but also to improve beauty rating of the room a bit. Your colonists probably get a big hit to their mood every time they go into your storage.

You might want to create a dedicated storage room for all that chemfuel in case it caches fire and burns rest of your stuff.

Soldato
Thanks for all the help.

I need to get this wall finished sooner, rather then later. Some raiders thought it would be fun to throw grenades in my animal pen.

uNcuMQh.jpg

Soldato
That's what firefoam poppers are for.

I prefer to keep it away from everything else and close to chemfuel generators if I have any.

Thanks for all the help.

I need to get this wall finished sooner, rather then later. Some raiders thought it would be fun to throw grenades in my animal pen.

Oops, looks like it was a tough one. Just a heads up by walling your colony you'll start seeing breacher raids (if you haven't had any yet) that will try to destroy your walls either using grenades or breach axes. Majority of attacks should still be normal ones that will only start attacking walls if they can't find clear path to some sort of furniture or items to steal.

Associate
As regards the smelting issue - I use a mod called 'CCRT Item Tags'. It allows you to apply one of 12 used defined tags to an item - and these tags also appear in the Bills details. So, for example, one of my tags I've defined as 'smelt' and at the electric smelter I have a bill to smelt all items tagged with tag b (smelt).

Hope that helps

Last edited:
Soldato
As regards the smelting issue - I use a mod called 'CCRT Item Tags'. It allows you to apply one of 12 used defined tags to an item - and these tags also appear in the Bills details. So, for example, one of my tags I've defined as 'smelt' and at the electric smelter I have a bill to smelt all items tagged with tag b (smelt).

Hope that helps

That's neat. Will have a look next time I play

Soldato
Built a wall around my entire base, with a zig zag entrance and yet, 1 of the raiders tried to break in through the wall.
Anyway I can stop that?

x8lDnG5.jpg

Also, how does orbital trading work?
Only thing I can do is request caravans from neighbouring settlement. I don't have enough rep to do that

What a good item to trade? At the moment I've just been selling extra livestock, plus stuff like surplus corn and cloth.

Soldato
@DEL 707
Maybe his path was blocked for a bit or there was no other available target if the rest of the raid already picked something to attack. Maybe put a table and few chairs somewhere in open so there's always few different targets for raiders to target and even then sometimes they just decide to attack a wall. Cut down the trees so raiders have nowhere to hide as they walk in. Also worth alternating walls and barricades so your colonists can stand behind the wall and shoot over the barricade for better cover. Actually I'd put a door where he's attacking the wall and then you can use it to take a few pot shots as raiders go past.

You need orbital trade beacon as well as the coms console then wait for passing orbital traders to go by. You'll get a message when one is in range, similar to when a trade caravan visits your colony.

Easiest and profitable items would be drugs as you can just grow the ingredients and they don't take too long to produce. Sculptures are good but take time though easy to get resources. If you have skilled crafter then you can try guns and armour but it takes a lot more resources and time, not really worth the effort imo unless you have nothing else to do. Then there's body organs and human leather hats from your enemies. ;)

Soldato
When a pawn tries to reach somewhere, it calculates a path based on "value". A clear square will be 1, a rock 10, a wood wall 50 and a granite wall 200 (or something like that) and it will path across terrain at the lowest overall value.

So for example, a pawn would take the long way around 150 clear squares (total score 150) rather than tunnel through a 1 block of granite (total score 200) to reach a specific destiation....but it might smash a wooden wall (50) rather than walk 150 clear squares. It's why you see the strange zig-zag paths they take.
Raiders will also target specific 'home' items like beds/furniture, or high-value items like gold.

However! Raids do have sappers who are designed to smash through walls so will just tunnel their way into your base regardless of your killzone.

Soldato
What's the best way to feed animals?

I've got 2 fields dedicated to hay, growing all year round. As well as kibble making, but it never seems to be enough.

reuYAxP.jpg

Soldato
Any reason why you keep so many boomalopes? I'd just sell them, they're walking bombs right in middle of your base if enemies get in range. You can always buy or produce chemfuel.

Associate
Hay is good, but you'll need a lot, lot, lot more field space than that, especially if your map has a limited growing season.

But also, 12 seconds after you research refining take all the boomalopes over to a concrete floored area and shoot them.

Soldato
But also, 12 seconds after you research refining take all the boomalopes over to a concrete floored area and shoot them.

Bloody sadist!

I sold them all to a farmer, who promised me he's going to let them run around and play in his fields, for the rest of their natural lives.

Soldato
You're sweet summer child :)

He's still on version 1.2 and can zone animals into his kill box to blow raiders up :D

I miss being able to use zones to send any animal wherever I wanted them to be. Sending boomrats and boomalopse to attack raiders was so much fun

Soldato
Lost my 1st pawn tonight.

Got to admit, I got a lil lump in my throat as I watched people visit her grave.

Oh Lorar, if only you did a better job of taming that warg. :(

Associate
Bloody sadist!

I sold them all to a farmer, who promised me he's going to let them run around and play in his fields, for the rest of their natural lives.

That's the thin end of the wedge for my Rimworld crimes.

Last time I tried a naked solo start things got very dark when I realised people where most frequently visiting and abundant animal on the map.

Back
Top Bottom