Roll up roll up... OcUK Manchester (French Car) Meet No. 2

Associate
Glad you got back OK Gilly, If it is just the ball and socket then shouldn't be too pricey. You'll probably have to go through the same hassle with AA again, last time the RS was out of action they sent a standard patrol even though I knew what was wrong and that they wouldn't be able to fix it roadside. Two hours later i got the relay truck :rolleyes:
It was good to meet you guys today though, think my feet are finally defrosting ;)

Soldato
OP
Gilly said:
Thanks to everyone for staying with me whilst I got it sorted. Sorry you had to stand about in the cold.

Don't worry about it.

It was something different anyway :) And we all had a chance to have a good chat.

Goliath, nice car mate! I'll give you a beep if I see you around.

Associate
Gilly said:
Thats a good point actually. If they send a patrol man out he'll be able to assess the extent of the damage won't he?
He'll at least have a trolley jack/axle stands so you can have a decent look.

I quite enjoyed traffic duty. (and hurling abuse at dozy drivers)

Soldato
Goliath said:
He'll at least have a trolley jack/axle stands so you can have a decent look.

I quite enjoyed traffic duty. (and hurling abuse at dozy drivers)

Ha ha you were brilliant, made me laugh for ages, even though i was frozen. :D

:(

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I tell you what I might do. I might go through the insurers and pay the £300 excess saying that I wasn't willing to wait around for the amount of time they were telling me it was going to be when the AA could get there quicker, but that I want to claim.

And then tell them it was a suspension failure, and set them on Renault. Then I get everything fixed for £300 and because they have someone to blame I get my £300 back.

Soldato
OP
Ok, couple of pics (I was going to write a litle story to go along with the pics, but I cba)...

At the services...

Some nice cars, and some not so nice...

Soldato
Gutted to hear about this Gilly mate :(

Glad it wasn't more serious though, lucky you didn't hit something coming the other way by the looks of it. Metal can be fixed and all that.

If it were me, I'd consider taking it to an independent garage and getting them to inspect the suspension, and if they think it was a failure that caused the accident, get it in writing and present it to Renault. Problem is being without a car whilst you do that and wait for a response..

Soldato
OP
So, we're having a good day... had a meal at the first pub, make our way to the second pub for a pint. A couple of us go out in a few cars for demo runs... the way the Gilly's 172 handled was mighty impressive!

I'm sure he thought I was a little kid the way I screamed as he planted his foot and went like a madman!

The 620Ti was rapid! Couldn't stop smiling when benneh planted it. That was with 3 people in the car too. I've decided that my next car HAS to be a Rover Turbo!

thebrasso's Civic VTi was also very impressive. You wouldn't think it to look at it, but this was another car that handled like it was on rails. He took corners faster than I would even dare in my car.

Mike's MR2 was interesting. I've got a few videos of me screaming like a schoolgirl as he ripped it around the 'track'. Got a bit tailhappy at one point which ended up with us sliding 90º! Quality!

Anyway, we set off from the 2nd pub to complete another circuit... get back through the little village, where the traffic was ridiculous. Started to climb the hill which takes us back onto the moors, when we were faced with this...

Soldato
OP
With careful planning, we had some 'form' of traffic warning system sorted...

It was at this point, when thebrasso sadly had to part with our company.

While standing around waiting for the AA to get off their fat asses, a couple of the members noticed something quite fitting to the situtation...

Soldato
OP
I decided what better opportunity to get a few snaps of the cars, as it was doubtful that we would carry on with the meet after Gilly was towed away...

And, what meet isn't complete without a little bit of foolishness...

Soldato
OP
It was trying to tell you something Gilly ;)

Finally, the tow truck arrived and we all watched helplessly as the Clio's wheel was pushed further and further back into the arch, causing even more damage.

Poor car!

And that concludes the OcUK Manchester Meet 2!

I would like to thank everyone who turned up, and Si for co-organising.

Sam and Mike, you two are stars for driving all the way from Southampton just to join us today.

Watch this space for MM3!

Back
Top Bottom