Samsung Odyssey 49" OLED G9 G95SC

Associate
OP
Hello, I went through your same journey, you can read my post above. Since then I made some tests of my own to at least fix the blackscreens plague.

Blackscreens fix:
1. dich DP and use only HDMI (cable in the box)
2. Disable G-Synch custom setting for specific monitor from NVIDIA panel, but let G-Sync enable with the generic profile (both Fullscreen and windowed)
3. Double check that VRR is off, but don't disable it from the monitor panel, this happens automatically at point 2
4. 10bit color, but I don't think it matters

VRR:
You can use VRR and have occasional blackscreens, not sure, I haven't test it too much, but the problem you're gonna have is flickering and as explained in this video, there is no fixing it. I personally keep it off because if you use 3D desktop apps it gets crazy, maybe in game is less impactful.

So depending on your performance it might be acceptable for you, just switch to the HDMI cable.

I also spoke with Samsung support on the phone, we tried to reset factory setting with zero improvements, but they told me that they are aware of the issues and they will (should) fix it in the update that should arrive in a couple of weeks at least for the DisplayPort issue, not very confident on the VRR that seems more of a OLED panels limitation. So a scam in my eyes.

My question is, with VRR off, is G-Sync even working? Maybe on a more limited fps range? Because it's on in the NVIDIA panel and I don't see tearing, but I'm confused, VRR should be a requirement.

Try Gsync + Vsync on (only in nvidia control panel) vsync off in game.

240Hz = 222fps in game cap or control panel cap see if it makes any difference.

175Hz = 166fps in game cap

165Hz = 156fps in game cap

160Hz = 152fps in game cap

144Hz = 138fps in game cap

138Hz = 132fps in game cap

120Hz = 114fps in game cap

Soldato
I have just installed New Radeon driver version 24.4.1 and now im getting random black screen. So reading the above post ive gone into settings and disabled AMD FreeSync Premium Pro (VRR) This on my 7800XT. Im using HDMI im in 10bit colour. This has only just occured using this driver. My previous driver was absolutely fine i never had this issue at all. Ill let you know if it happens again with VRR disabled.

Update... Yep it happened again as i went to look at display adapter properties. Might roll back to an older driver.

Last edited:
Soldato
Also as nice as this monitor is i have to tell you i absolutely hate pixel shift on this thing its so apparent to my eye i constantly notice it moving the picture in windows, i know you can disable it but you risk burn in. My LG CX doesnt do it and ive been gaming on that for around 3 years now and using it as a monitor with zero burn in.

Soldato
Few things to note here. I did an in driver install over the top of old drivers didnt use DDU uninstaller and also when i restarted the pc i was greeted with a messed up screen image. So what ive done is uninstalled the chipset drivers, in this case X570 and downloaded the driver from AMD website latest chipset and also downloaded the driver as standalone version 24.4.1 so fingers crossed.

So far so good.

Last edited:
Soldato
In going to try it as I now believe that the black screen problem is firmware or driver related. I'm 100% this problem has only occurred after a recent update and or driver on my 7800XT. I'm suspecting the firmware though.

Associate
In going to try it as I now believe that the black screen problem is firmware or driver related. I'm 100% this problem has only occurred after a recent update and or driver on my 7800XT. I'm suspecting the firmware though.
Yes, firmware 1402.6 for sure causes blackscreens, confirmed to me by Samsung during a call, they also said that a new firmware would come up with the fix, let's hope it's this one.

Associate
Hello im new in here and i got the same problem im from Denmark. So where do we find this new Firmware 1405, since im pretty tired of random blackscreen also :D

Take care all lets hope we soon get a small fix for this

Kind Regards
Thomas C

Soldato
Hello im new in here and i got the same problem im from Denmark. So where do we find this new Firmware 1405, since im pretty tired of random blackscreen also :D

Take care all lets hope we soon get a small fix for this

Kind Regards
Thomas C
Hello and welcome. :) The update should be available if you go into the monitors menu I think it's under support? It should tell you if an update is available. Make sure your monitor is connected to your network by the way. And I can confirm that version 1405 has fixed black screen for me.

Associate
Hello and welcome. :) The update should be available if you go into the monitors menu I think it's under support? It should tell you if an update is available. Make sure your monitor is connected to your network by the way. And I can confirm that version 1405 has fixed black screen for me.
thx a lot, where are u From ? ill try look later if i got a firmware update on my screen :D .

Soldato
Hi I've had a look around but can't seem to find 1405 online. However as said keep checking through your monitor os it will turn up eventually. I'm in the UK by the way.

Associate
Hi I've had a look around but can't seem to find 1405 online. However as said keep checking through your monitor os it will turn up eventually. I'm in the UK by the way.
Just got this update after reading this thread, turning wifi on and clicking update now. Took a while to apply and not tested yet. Fingers crossed.

Like this monitor, but now how cumbersome it is to manage basic menu functions - one improvement though is that identification of HDMI1 and HDMI2 which used to both just say PC even if you renamed them. I have the service remote, but don't really know what options are worth tweaking. If anyone has a link to some gold on that I'd be very appreciative. The only thing I did was that annoying standby pop up - frankly I'd like to turn off most of the crap I dont need but mostly would like 1:1 non-scaling for resolutions less than 32:9.

Edit. Res scaling may have sorted itself out with this update. GPU scaling didn’t work with previous firmware. Might be too early to tell tho, as it was mostly broke before so might be ‘mostly not broken’ now. Will see.

Last edited:
Associate
Just got this update after reading this thread, turning wifi on and clicking update now. Took a while to apply and not tested yet. Fingers crossed.

Like this monitor, but now how cumbersome it is to manage basic menu functions - one improvement though is that identification of HDMI1 and HDMI2 which used to both just say PC even if you renamed them. I have the service remote, but don't really know what options are worth tweaking. If anyone has a link to some gold on that I'd be very appreciative. The only thing I did was that annoying standby pop up - frankly I'd like to turn off most of the crap I dont need but mostly would like 1:1 non-scaling for resolutions less than 32:9.

Edit. Res scaling may have sorted itself out with this update. GPU scaling didn’t work with previous firmware. Might be too early to tell tho, as it was mostly broke before so might be ‘mostly not broken’ now. Will see.
Still w8 for the update in Denmark :( hows does it work the new firmware ? Or do u guys have factory reset the screen after ? And could u maybe share settings :D
Kind regardes
Thomas

Associate
Back
Top Bottom