Shogun

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I've said it in this thread already that I've seen the original mini series and read the book multiple times.

It's a superb story and this is a great interpretation. I'm very pleased that they've not strayed far from the source material. I wouldn't want it to be different, it doesn't need a different interpretation.

A couple of phrases from the end of the book has always stuck in my mind and I hope they use them.

Are you really sure? If so, click the blurred text

Toranaga never lets John Blackthorne leave Japan

Ishido lingered three days and died very old.

And in case anyone was in doubt, I posted this after the first episode...

Kasigi Yabu actor is awesome :D

Caporegime
Kasigi Yabu actor is awesome :D
Certainly changed a lot since he was in marvel stuff
x1AzV7B.jpeg

shows how crappy marvels cosplay plastic armor is.. dood looks like a dwarf in that pic

Is it really good acting or just good casting and looking the part? most shows only use young actors it seems these days, its like uncanny valley

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Certainly changed a lot since he was in marvel stuff
x1AzV7B.jpeg

shows how crappy marvels cosplay plastic armor is.. dood looks like a dwarf in that pic

Is it really good acting or just good casting and looking the part? most shows only use young actors it seems these days, its like uncanny valley

Lol. He does look quite different there.

Man of Honour
Finally caught up on this as i quickly realised its a show that demands all your attention. The acting and direction is next level, but Anna Sawai as Mariko is the highlight of every episode for me, she was in her bag throughout ep9.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Finally caught up on this as i quickly realised its a show that demands all your attention. The acting and direction is next level, but Anna Sawai as Mariko is the highlight of every episode for me, she was in her bag throughout ep9.

Compare her performance in Monarch night and day. She really is in her element as Mariko.

Last edited:
Commissario
I thought that was a great final episode which wrapped things up nicely. I did wonder if they'd get his attempted seppuku in because it was a different place to the book but it was well done and appropriate. I enjoyed the closure with Fujiko in the boat.

I know I've said it multiple times but this was a superb adaptation of an already excellent book and despite being a relative slow burner, there wasn't a moment of wasted time throughout the entire show.

Soldato
Has anyone read any of the Clavell books aside from Shogun? Tai Pan? Gai Jin? King rat? Any good?

I kinda like the era and the Japanese theme, the last series I read that's even remotely similar was Eric Van Lustbaders Ninja books - I read The Ninja, The Miko and White Ninja but never got any further. I struggle going from book to book for a while - I still have most of the Necroscope series sitting on my bookshelf awaiting a read.

Commissario
Has anyone read any of the Clavell books aside from Shogun? Tai Pan? Gai Jin? King rat? Any good?
I’ve read all of those. Tai Pan and Gai Jin are very hard going, the latter is a bit easier. I have no desire to read either of them again. King Rat is very different, it’s an easy read.

I’ve not read Whirlwind or Noble House.

Back
Top Bottom