Should assisted suicide be legal (for everyone)?

Caporegime
What are your thoughts GD - try to keep the replies serious-ish... (granted I appreciate this is GD so I can't necessarily expect that).

I think it should be legal and unrestricted (in terms of reason/justification i.e. not just for people with serious physical health conditions) BUT regulated - a time delay from initial appointment and a requirement to talk with a mental health professional first.

Arguments for - firstly (and fundamentally) - a straight forward pro-choice argument, your body your choice.

Secondly - suicides happen, if someone is absolutely set on killing themselves then there isn't much you can do to stop that so providing a safe facility for it removes additional suffering for them and any additional fall out (like trains having to stop, someone having the unpleasant task of dealing with a body at the bottom of a cliff, on some tracks etc..).

On the other hand some (perhaps many) people with depression etc.. make a spur of the moment decision and could otherwise be talked out of it - the bloke dangling on the edge of a bridge or tall building etc.. I lost a friend to suicide a few years ago and everyone was kicking themselves, if only someone knew then maybe they could have prevented it etc..

So essentially if you have the medical cases (people with serious conditions who might be subject to DNRs in hospitals or who'd be signed off by doctors in Switzerland etc..) allowed to pass through (conditional on an initial menthal health assesment and based on medical assessment as per Switzerland) and everyone else having to speak to mental health professionals a few times and offered counselling etc.. then perhaps we can catch and save a bunch of the more on the edge people.

Of course in order for that to work then the facility must still be a viable option... i.e. it must be known that if you absolutely positiviely want to commit suicide then there isn't anything they can do to stop you but only delay you (otherwise it wouldn't be used) - given that it is known it is an efficient and pain free way to go then that beats the bridges/train tracks/overdoses route and we have our funnel into mental health professionals.

Essentially - if you allow a safe route for the absolutely determined to do it then can you catch and save the rest and overall both save lives among those bridge jumper types who could be talked out of it and make things less painful for those you had no hope of saving anyway?

Soldato
Yes. More in favour of assisted dying for medical reasons but I think suicide should be permitted for the reasons you say, e.g. safe place and way to do it and less impact on other people.

If you ever correspond with your MP mention legalising assisted dying. Last time it was debated in the Commons MPs blocked it despite polling indicating ~92% of people support it.

EDIT - there is actually a Bill introduced in the Lords at the moment. Hope it progresses. https://services.parliament.uk/bills/2019-21/assisteddying.html

Soldato
Yes, I think there are a lot of reasons this should exist. I agree with the ones you've listed.

Reasons I can think of your method being perhaps problematic - what happens to people who want to do it, aren't deemed "fit", but don't want/refuse subsequent mental health treatment? I think there would be a group of people who avoid the official route, because they're afraid of being sectioned etc. This is a very real thing - many people who self-admit to MH facilities are actually in a position of "sign yourself in or we'll have to get you sectioned, to get you in".

That said, the idea of funneling people who need it into MH services is great. And if we also improve the services too, then it's less of a concern.

Caporegime
OP
Reasons I can think of your method being perhaps problematic - what happens to people who want to do it, aren't deemed "fit", but don't want/refuse subsequent mental health treatment? I think there would be a group of people who avoid the official route, because they're afraid of being sectioned etc. This is a very real thing - many people who self-admit to MH facilities are actually in a position of "sign yourself in or we'll have to get you sectioned, to get you in".

Well this idea is conditional on it being a viable route so sectioning people who want to commit suicide via this route isn't really an option, idea is that it is a route that they can take if they're absolutely determined to do it. It's not necessarily MH treatment but there should be a requirement to talk with a mental health professional on more than one occasion and the option to be persuaded/directed towards MH treatment.

Permabanned
Don't know about everyone, but for old people yes. Extending someone's years beyond a certain point doesn't increase their quality of life. My gran was miserable for the last 10 years of her life.

Soldato
I'm going to have to say no. Wrong message to send out could lead to all kinds of problems. People killing themselves all over the place.

Soldato
Don't know about everyone, but for old people yes. Extending someone's years beyond a certain point doesn't increase their quality of life. My gran was miserable for the last 10 years of her life.
Don't know your gran's circumstances, but my grandad was similar for much of his last 5 or so years.... except in the last year, when his move to an old people's home meant a change in doctor: the new one diagnosed that he was depressed, gave him some form of happy pills, and the old boy was utterly chipper for his last months! Was a real shame when it was ended by a chest infection / pneumonia.

Made me wonder how much unhappiness in old age is just accepted, rather than treated.

Anyway, as for the proposed assisted suicides: Yes from me, but with plenty of safeguards.

Soldato
No. In any case the NHS is pretty in efficient already with it's death pathways. I can imgaine them turning into a full out death wards with it legalised.

Back
Top Bottom