Sicily ideas?

Soldato
Thinking of going to Sicily early summer this year. I don’t know why exactly.. I’ve always wanted to go. Italy is probably my favourite European country to visit, I like the idea of sunshine, good food and some history to entertain ourselves with during the day. We’re not the type to sit on the beach for 7 days.

But, I haven’t done much research :p In my head I’d love to stay in a town for a few days, then go and stay in the countryside to properly chill. Or at least a quieter town maybe. We live in London so it’s nice to get out of suburbia.

Any ideas :) Good food is probably very high up on the list, not touristy tat.

Soldato
Rent a car, get an airbnb. It is a simple place to drive around. Taormina is a must visit, I also did Agrigento and then heated up to Trapani, Erice (beautiful mountain top village). Did a day drive to Marsala (the sweet wine) before catching a flight from Trapani airport to Malta for a few days.

Soldato

I'm sitting in Taormina right now. Never been to Italy before. Flew into Naples, stayed 2 nights to see Pompeii, Naples itself was rough. I could have done more research on where to stay. I just wanted to be near train station.

The train from Naples to Sicily was a beautiful journey along the coast, the train then drives on to the ferry and rejoins the tracks in Sicily!

Taormina is beautiful and some of the White Lotus season 2 was filmed here. It's very touristy on the main pedestrian street, Corso Umberto. But Etna makes a stunning backdrop. There's a wonderful greek theatre here (plus a mini one behind a church). There's plenty of walks so make sure you like steps because there's a lot of them , up and down.

We are here for 10 days. It's very pleasant there are a LOT of restaurants vying for your business and many tourists so some of the food is no more than middling. Hoping to get the train to Siracuse in the next few days and back home to freezing Scotland Sunday week!

Food wise the granita at Bam Bar in Taormina is a must.

Back
Top Bottom