Silo - By Hugh Howey - May 5th

Associate
Silo is set in a world where the last ten thousand people on earth live a mile under the surface to evade the toxic and deadly world outside – but nobody actually knows when or why their titular home was built, and attempting to find out often leads to some deadly consequences. Ferguson plays Juliette, an engineer who wants answers about the death of a loved one, and ends up tumbling down a rabbit hole of mystery and intrigue about just what the Silo is, how it started, and whether the outside world is quite as dangerous as she and the other residents are being led to believe.

The complete series is available as ebooks on a rainforest for £2

(from Empire Online)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Sounds a lot like City of Ember or whatever it was called. Trailer has strong Ascension vibes.

Last edited:
Soldato
The books were fun although a bit "young adult". I enjoyed them. From the trailer this looks a little cheap, and if you can tell that from a trailer then it usually is. Sorry :(

Associate
Loved the books, and cast is impressive so hopefully it will be decent. But some of the ideas will be hard to translate.

Having each book being in a different silo and their point of view is hard to translate to tv. Foundation is one that suffers from same problme

Soldato
First two episodes were excellent I thought, very much looking forward to more and I really hope it doesn't stray too far from the source.

Having said I hope they don't stray too far from the source, I'm a little concerned by a few things they did in the first two episodes, first the discovery of the drill which will have some minor effect on the later story, it was well done but I do wonder if it will come back to bite them later on. Secondly - the helmets for the cleaning suits, there is a very definite reason for them having a small viewport in the books, I don't suppose it's much of a stretch to imagine that the face of the person inside is being displayed onto an external display but it did somewhat feel a bit off considering it is one of the major crutches for the proverbial wool being pulled over the residents eyes.

Soldato
I know nothing of the book but I thought both episodes were very well done. Got Fallout Shelter vibes straight away. I look forwards to the remaining episodes!

For those that don't know, this is on AppleTV+.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Episode 2 was exciting, first ep sets the tone and opens the floor to many questions, 2nd ep explores some of those without giving away too much, is the mayor aware too? I don't think so, so far... But definitely a cool couple of episodes so far.

Associate
OP
Well I must say that I am impressed by the transition from print to screen.

If the silo was as described in the books it wouldn't be as pleasing to watch, so they get a free pass on that.

I wished they explained in greater detail the reasons for printing being so expensive, and it isn't just because paper is a finite resource.

Cleaning suits look spot on, and they made a point of showing the heat tape.

I am stoked for ep3.,but damn appletv for drip feeding.
Wish they dumped the lot, all Netflix like.

Soldato
It's very much OK so far, 2 episodes in. Quite interesting but don't like the setting/sets, the pretty poor special effects and silly camera angles/movements they've chosen to use. Looks cheap.

Kinds of interested in where it goes, but wouldn't care if I missed any future episodes. 6/10 for so far.

Last edited:
Soldato
Watched Ep1 last night. Enjoyed it but there was one part that I couldn't overlook.

The husband didn't seem to question at all why his wife still had the contraceptive.
Didn't he accept her "the doctor will probably say something about it being a placeholder and not operational"

I'm guessing since he already thought she was deluded that worked as an explanation.

Back
Top Bottom