Sky Stream - Launches *NOW* (post #1 for pricing / page #5 for pics)

Soldato

Hopefully the prices are on some kind of deal like they are with Sky Glass

I might give this a go, didn't want the TV, but do want sky and freeview channels (no aerial in bedrooms). Had SkyQ ages ago, but gave up as could never get the mini boxes to work reliably.

With Sky Stream, Sky is offering ultimate flexibility and great value. You can opt for either a 31-day rolling plan from £29 a month that can be cancelled at any time, or an 18-month contract from just £26 a month, both of which include Sky Ultimate TV & Netflix Basic. You can also add on packs and services including Sky Cinema, Sky Sports, BT Sport and UHD & Dolby Atmos.

If you’d like Sky TV on more than one telly, upgrade to the Whole Home pack for an extra £12 a month, letting you have up to five additional Sky Stream devices wherever you’d like in your home.

There is a £39.95 set-up fee (or £20 if you take an 18-month contract), no need for engineer installation, and next-day delivery is standard so you can enjoy great content with Sky Stream quickly and easily. Plus, there’s a one-year warranty.

SOFT LAUNCH OVER THE PHONE - NOW WITH OFFERS!!

Discounts for 18 months
31 day contract

1st Sky Stream Box FREE (No P&P)
2nd Sky Steam Box £20
3rd+ Sky Stream Box £39.95

Sky Ultimate £26 (£15 with discount)
Multiroom £10
Netflix Premium £8
Sky Cinema £11
Sky Sports £25
4K Atmos £5

Free Advert Skipping for 12 months then £5 per month

E1wyNT2.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I could be tempted with this but I’d appreciate it if they could be a bit more open with their pricing in regards to the other services-like I have the UHD Netflix tier-just show me on the screen how much it will be with that included and not “Netflix and a single screen”

Soldato
I might be interested in this once the pricing is clearer. Have an unreliable communal aerial system in my flat so will be useful and don’t have to ask permission for a dish.

Edit - I hope you can opt out of the Netflix part.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I might be interested in this once the pricing is clearer. Have an unreliable communal aerial system in my flat so will be useful and don’t have to ask permission for a dish.

Edit - I hope you can opt out of the Netflix part.

I don't think you can. It's built into the entertainment package (or whatever sky are calling it these days).

Soldato
SKY are bleeding customers at the moment IMO.

No worse than Virgin :)

Sky Stream is an interesting product but the only question I have is I assume you can't record programs as the point of the product is that you stream instead. Say I want to watch an episode of something more obscure on Discovery Turbo for example that's not on a traditional on-demand service like ITV Hub, iPlayer, UKTV Play etc, how does it work?

Soldato
I think once the pricing's revealed I'll have a clearer idea if it's something to go for. Not being able to record is annoying especially in terms of watching football, (I've got NowTV presently and that's a bug bear for me). Not fussed about Netflix either. Really, it needs to be better than just using the built in apps on the TV to be worth investing in and I'm not seeing it being very different really.

A resolution bump to 4k from HD on Sky Channels? Disney+, Netflix etc are all dolby and 4k straight from the TV apps.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
No worse than Virgin :)

Sky Stream is an interesting product but the only question I have is I assume you can't record programs as the point of the product is that you stream instead. Say I want to watch an episode of something more obscure on Discovery Turbo for example that's not on a traditional on-demand service like ITV Hub, iPlayer, UKTV Play etc, how does it work?

I've read a rumour that sky are looking into cloud recording, where they do the recording and you just stream. Sounds like a lot of data storage to me.

Basically like a weeks worth of catchup.

Now that everythings digital, they already have the data, they just broadcast it on a schedule. They'll simply hold it for a week in a catchup planner.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've read a rumour that sky are looking into cloud recording, where they do the recording and you just stream. Sounds like a lot of data storage to me.

Basically like a weeks worth of catchup.

Now that everythings digital, they already have the data, they just broadcast it on a schedule. They'll simply hold it for a week in a catchup planner.
So according to the link below, you can record and as you mention, it stores it in the cloud unless I've read/understood it wrongly.

To me that ticks the box - definitely think it will be down to final pricing as to how popular it is. I don't overly like Virgin's interface especially since they switched to TV 360 but having SkyQ with Virgin broadband is expensive due to lack of bundle discounts but the BT speeds round here are terrible. If the price is right, it could be a winner for me going forwards.

Last edited:
Associate
As far as I can see they haven't actually specified if you have to pay for the box itself. They give you a puck for free when you take the whole home subscription with Sky Glass, then charge £50 each for additional pucks. I can't see them giving these things away so if it's an additional £50 for just one, on top of the £39.95 setup fee, plus the £26 or £29 channel package, plus £5 for UHD/HDR/Atmos plus £8 for Netflix premium (as it is with Glass) then it very quickly adds up to a not very good value proposition...

Back
Top Bottom