So.....what was you first motor race as a spectator?

Soldato
Silverstone in 2002. My friends uncle had done some work at the track and was gifted a booth and I got invited along to join.

My lasting memory is how good the Williams sounded and it made me a bit of a JPM fanboy for a few years

Dup

Dup

Soldato
This post has taken me down an unexpected and emotional rabbit hole.

I had forgotten, and I think I have some skewed memories of it as I was maybe 5/6/7 or so at the time, but I was definitely at a rally before anything else. I think it was maybe the Grizedale Stages. Definitely forest area and definitely early 90s era. We had loads of photos from it in the loft I remember looking at when I was older but I think they have been archived in the bin by my parents (along with their vinyl before it re-surged, morons!).

I would love to ask my dad about it but sadly he is no longer with us. I will definitely check the loft for any photos next time I'm at my mums for any amount of time.

Since I've been back to Grizedale just by coincidence, few BTTC days at Oulton and Goodwood FOS a few times. Dad and I watched F1 and I wish I didn't sit on getting us to a race or to the FOS together. He would have loved the FOS but sadly I prioritised the wrong people at the time. I've not yet been to the F1 but I'm hoping maybe to take my will be 4 year old next year. I've just set a reminder for the Grizedale Stages in December too, he'll absolutely love it.

Right now I'm flicking through camcorder footage of early 90s Grizedale stages seeing if there's a potato shot of us there.

Managed to find one photo from the event, not sure on the date but was local to me at Longridge/Kemple end according to my mum, Silva Stages potentially:

ernXTc0h.jpeg

Soldato
I can't actually remember if I went to the 1990 event, but if I did then it would have been the British Rally Cross GP held at Brands Hatch in December that year.

Definitely went to the Group C race at Silverstone the following year and the Rally Cross GP at the end of the year.

Transmission breaker
Don
Random national level (at a guess) hill-climb event, in the early 90s with my dad. His mate had a single seater in the competition, and I got to sit in the "pits" and watch the goings on, tweaking and fixing. It was very exciting.

Soldato
My first race watched as a spectator was Silverstone 1992, when Mansell dominated the whole weekend (year). Qualifying was a master piece for him, about 2 seconds quicker than the 2nd grid place, his team mate.
He won the race with around a 2 pit stop gap ahead of 2nd place and then fans invaded the track in the last section - what a celebration !

Silverstone F1 2007

I was at that too- Hamiltons first home F1 race. He qualified on pole but mostly due to running less fuel in qualifying than Alonso and Kimi had.
I hired a handheld ‘Kangoro’ TV and timing unit which showed Ham was struggling with pace in practice. When he got pole on Saturday it was the loudest roar I’ve heard at any sporting event. Sadly he couldn’t convert this into a win.

Soldato
My first race watched as a spectator was Silverstone 1992, when Mansell dominated the whole weekend (year). Qualifying was a master piece for him, about 2 seconds quicker than the 2nd grid place, his team mate.
He won the race with around a 2 pit stop gap ahead of 2nd place and then fans invaded the track in the last section - what a celebration !

I was at that too- Hamiltons first home F1 race. He qualified on pole but mostly due to running less fuel in qualifying than Alonso and Kimi had.
I hired a handheld ‘Kangoro’ TV and timing unit which showed Ham was struggling with pace in practice. When he got pole on Saturday it was the loudest roar I’ve heard at any sporting event. Sadly he couldn’t convert this into a win.

And how he has changed since then!

Back
Top Bottom