So, who's pre-ordered the Rift?

Associate
Preordered both here, considering that the earliest either ship is March 28th, I'm going to leave my orders in on the basis that there might be some last minute revelations or exclusives, or even solid early comparison reviews.

If i was deciding right now the vive wins. included controllers, improved tracking and front facing chaperone cam make it the better option. Oculus timewarp seems to be a feature for copying with framerate drop, which should be less of an issue when running a capable system anyway.

I figure unless anything new comes to light, ill cancel my rift order around the 21st. The big question then is do I stay the course, or do I also cancel the vive on the 28th.

Dont get me wrong im very hyped for the tech. budget cuts, elite, asseto corsa, etc all look very cool but right now this is a huge amount of cash, day to day im not a gamer anymore. There are few games out, budget cuts for example while promising.. only appears to be a single level demo which can be completed in around 3 minutes. £750 is a lot of cash for 3 minutes of fun

Having got a first batch DK2 i am considering holding off, waiting a few months till I can either buy one off the shelf and skip the £57 shipping and possibly even find a discount on the whole device.

Soldato
You guys reckon VR will go anywhere? I keep thinking it'll die off within a few years, similar to 3D on TVs.

The lack of content is worrying, all we have is a series of short tech demos at present.

If its going to be nothing more than this , then yeh it will die of hard - especially at these price points.

They need that system seller really, a long lasting game that people look at and can instantly see why it only works in VR.

Associate
You guys reckon VR will go anywhere? I keep thinking it'll die off within a few years, similar to 3D on TVs.

From the perspective of someone who owns a 3d TV and monitor, I've probably used the 3d function of those for 10 hours (give or take) over the past 5 years. For the past 3 years, I've probably used my Rifts (DK1 and 2) on average for 10 hours every week.

The single thing that make me sure it's here to stay though is the reaction from my dad. He's a total non-gamer and not really that fussed about technology in general, but has spent hours playing games and experiences with the Rift.

<edit> To answer the OPs question though, I was a KS backer, so am fortunate enough to be getting one for nowt. Must admit that I'm looking forward to actually getting some solid content more than anything. Well, apart from a reduced SDE...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom