Spec me a PSU for a 4080 super

Associate
I'm just about to buy a 4080 Super and need a new PSU to support it.

Current CPU is an i7 8700k and 4 SSDs, two of which are M2. I am planning on upgrading the motherboard and CPU at some point, but it's not holding me back at the moment.

I was looking at the Corsair RMx1000 SHIFT, as I've always had good luck with Corsair, but open to other options for the latest/future proofed PSU, as I've not bought a new one for quite some time, so out of the loop!

Associate
OP
SHIFT is fine, but your case has to support the side mounted cables.

Hoping to see the updated PSUs soon too, like this:

Case is also Corsair and only a year or so old. Not sure if it does support side mounted cables though, thanks for that.

Why has there always got to be something else coming out when you're about to buy something!

*EDIT* Case is a Corsair 5000x, so does support the shift.

Last edited:
Associate
Current CPU is an i7 8700k and 4 SSDs, two of which are M2. I am planning on upgrading the motherboard and CPU at some point, but it's not holding me back at the moment.

The 8700K has aged very well, but when you do upgrade you'll see a nice boost. This article has the Ryzen 5600 (which is a bit faster than your Intel) paired with a 4080.

I agree that any decent 850W+ PSU will be fine. I'll be looking for a new PSU soon myself and am leaning towards the RM850/1000X (my EVGA G2 850W hasn't skipped a beat but is now 9 years old so with the warranty expiring soon I believe it would be prudent to grab a new one).

Associate
OP
The 8700K has aged very well, but when you do upgrade you'll see a nice boost. This article has the Ryzen 5600 (which is a bit faster than your Intel) paired with a 4080.

I agree that any decent 850W+ PSU will be fine. I'll be looking for a new PSU soon myself and am leaning towards the RM850/1000X (my EVGA G2 850W hasn't skipped a beat but is now 9 years old so with the warranty expiring soon I believe it would be prudent to grab a new one).

I went with the 1000x shift. Lovely bit of kit and working great! Funnily enough, I had the evga 750w that I pulled out my current system.

Also going to pull the trigger very shortly, on a 7800x3d setup, because why the f not.

Associate
Mines rated
I'm just about to buy a 4080 Super and need a new PSU to support it.

I was looking at the Corsair RMx1000 SHIFT, as I've always had good luck with Corsair, but open to other options for the latest/future proofed PSU, as I've not bought a new one for quite some time, so out of the loop!
Thats an A+ rated PSU on the old list.

Associate
I went with the 1000x shift. Lovely bit of kit and working great! Funnily enough, I had the evga 750w that I pulled out my current system.

Also going to pull the trigger very shortly, on a 7800x3d setup, because why the f not.
Excellent. The new CPU will really help the card stretch it's legs! Any noise from the PSU? I suspect not, I've had the EVGA in it's quiet mode since purchase and haven't ever heard it spin up in the while time I've owned it, so a quality one like that will likely be the same.

Associate
OP
Excellent. The new CPU will really help the card stretch it's legs! Any noise from the PSU? I suspect not, I've had the EVGA in it's quiet mode since purchase and haven't ever heard it spin up in the while time I've owned it, so a quality one like that will likely be the same.

None at all, I can't hear a thing!

Back
Top Bottom