Spec me a streamer/DAC

Soldato
Time to sort out the digital side of my system.

Looking for a streamer/DAC solution that has a fairly simple set of requirements.

1) An optical input that'll take the output from my TV

2) The unit defaults to the optical input when turned on

3) Tidal Connect and supports hires flac

Budget is flexible. I would like to stick with Naim but apparently the ND units fail at point 2, which is a non-starter. Telling the missus she has to open an app to switch inputs before the TV works isn't an option.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
If you’re in the price area for Naim gear, these might be worth considering:

Soldato
OP
If you’re in the price area for Naim gear, these might be worth considering:

Some nice options!

Reading up on the Wiim though, it seems like it'll tick all the feature boxes. It also has bit-perfect digital output, so I can add something like a simple decent DAC like a Chord Qutest to round it off and have a solution to fit my needs.

Soldato
OP
Got a WiiM Pro Plus yesterday and gave it a good listen.

First of all, massive upgrade for my TV which was going through a 10quid amazon optical DAC. No surprises really! Certainly good enough for YouTube content.

Listened to various Tidal sources and it's definitely lot letting you down at the price point, very enjoyable listen. Hires sources were a little bright. I did some AB testing with Mammal Hands - Shadow Work, and well, it's not bothering my vinyl setup that's for sure. Decent though.

The software is very good and the optical auto sensing works as expected.

Now to keep an eye out for a DAC at some point!

Soldato

First of all, massive upgrade for my TV which was going through a 10quid amazon optical DAC. No surprises really! Certainly good enough for YouTube content.

Listened to various Tidal sources and it's definitely lot letting you down at the price point, very enjoyable listen. Hires sources were a little bright. I did some AB testing with Mammal Hands - Shadow Work, and well, it's not bothering my vinyl setup that's for sure. Decent though.

Get LMS installed

Man of Honour
Man of Honour

Where in the country are you, I’ve got an old Meridian unit if you wish to test out how old/not cheap compares to new

Soldato
OP
It's pretty good. When I get a DAC, I'll buy a regular WiiM pro to connect to it, and move the Pro Plus into the dining room for multiroom.

Soldato
It's pretty good. When I get a DAC, I'll buy a regular WiiM pro to connect to it, and move the Pro Plus into the dining room for multiroom.
Yeah that would be the streamer I would buy (Pro Plus) but I've not been impressed with the generic DNLA servers, they're just too basic. This is for my local music collection, not the radio streaming side.

Would highly recommend trying LMS, enabling the softsqueeze on the Wiim giving it a go.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Derby way. Not sure it'd support the bit rates from Tidal max? Depending on how old it is!

Balls, I’m down in Surrey, and I’d be very uncomfortable to post it.
It supports upto 2496. Shame really, as you’d have been able to test it out against some new gear to see how it compares

Soldato
OP
Balls, I’m down in Surrey, and I’d be very uncomfortable to post it.
It supports upto 2496. Shame really, as you’d have been able to test it out against some new gear to see how it compares
No worries. I'm not in a rush, spent enough on my setup for a while, will be keeping an eye out for a good deal on a used DAC, but not desperate, my serious listening is still done on CD or vinyl!

Back
Top Bottom