Spec me a streamer/DAC

Soldato
Got a WiiM Pro Plus yesterday and gave it a good listen.

I own the WiiM Pro, however I connect it optically into external DAC, Yamaha CD-S2100. I also tried both optical and coaxial digital outputs on the WiiM and optical sounded better.

The PSU that comes with the Wiim Pro & Plus version is poor, I power mine from a USB port on my HTPC, that has a Seasonic Prime PSU in it.

Hans Beekhuyzen covered the above, however I had already worked out myself how poor the WiiM's included PSU was.

The other thing I've noticed on the WiiM is it sounds better on ethernet, even WiiM say WiFi can cause interference, I just disable WiFi on the WiiM. I'm using galvanically isolated ethernet into mine, together with better DC power, then using quality external DAC sound quality from the WiiM can be very high.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I own the WiiM Pro, however I connect it optically into external DAC, Yamaha CD-S2100. I also tried both optical and coaxial digital outputs on the WiiM and optical sounded better.

The PSU that comes with the Wiim Pro & Plus version is poor, I power mine from a USB port on my HTPC, that has a Seasonic Prime PSU in it.

Hans Beekhuyzen covered the above, however I had already worked out myself how poor the WiiM's included PSU was.

The other thing I've noticed on the WiiM is it sounds better on ethernet, even WiiM say WiFi can cause interference, I just disable WiFi on the WiiM. I'm using galvanically isolated ethernet into mine, together with better DC power, then using quality external DAC sound quality from the WiiM can be very high.
At some point I'll have to get the drill out and run some CAT6 to my hifi.

Interesting on the PSU, will try some different supplies I have knocking around.

Soldato
At some point I'll have to get the drill out and run some CAT6 to my hifi.

Interesting on the PSU, will try some different supplies I have knocking around.

I use Amazon Basic Cat 7, the old version as Amazon changed it. It's not very flexible but it's heavy and well constructed, the plugs on the end are good also. On eBay there is loads of NOS selling cheap.

Also there is a new WiiM Ultra coming, that has it's PSU inside the device.

Last edited:
Soldato
Also there is a new WiiM Ultra coming, that has it's PSU inside the device.
you can buy some aftermarket stable usb supplies (had looked into that for chromecast audio)
.. on the back of thread was considering a wiim for use in the car, driving aux/optical, tethered off of a mobile, for which usb supply, even power bank is needed;
am considering if I really need a USB input though, for source material that is on the phone/sd-card.

I don't know if in the absence of a network in the car streaming can be initiated from the phone which is also the hotspot.

Soldato
Quick update, I purchased an ifi SilentPower for the Wiim, I only paid £40 new for it from the bay.

The Hans Beekhuyzen channel is correct it's far better than the stock Wiim, don't ask me for measurements however listening only. More interesting this is using the Wiim as optical output only into external DAC.

Back
Top Bottom