Spec me some ear plugs

Soldato
Allo - I currently use Alpine MotoSafe ear plugs (pic below), both the tour and race ones (-17 and -20dB SNR respectively) depending on which bike I'm out on, but they both cause my ears discomfort if wearing them for more than,say, an hour. It's almost like the sides of my lid are pressing against the hard bit where the filter is, even though that is fairly deep in my ear.

What kind of plugs do you lot wear? Ta muchly

klLrywL.png

Soldato
I've never worn earplugs (40 years riding) and my hearing has been tested as good for my age. If wind noise is an issue I'd be looking at helmet choice / fitting and screen options before looking at blocking my ears.

Man of Honour
I've never worn earplugs (40 years riding) and my hearing has been tested as good for my age. If wind noise is an issue I'd be looking at helmet choice / fitting and screen options before looking at blocking my ears.
Even the quietest helmets cannot attenuate the noise enough to prevent permanent hearing damage.

I use the classic 3m disposable earplugs. I’ve tried all sorts, some of which were ridiculously expensive, and nothing can beat the 3m for fit, effect, and convenience IMO. I normally buy a bulk bag of 100. Each pair will last me about a week, or 20ish removals and reinsertions.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Even the quietest helmets cannot attenuate the noise enough to prevent permanent hearing damage.

I use the classic 3m disposable earplugs. I’ve tried all sorts, some of which were ridiculously expensive, and nothing can beat the 3m for fit, effect, and convenience IMO. I normally buy a bulk bag of 100. Each pair will last me about a week, or 20ish removals and reinsertions.

This. The problem with these however is that so few people know how to use them correctly. Most people simply take them out the packet and gently squish them in to their ears, when in reality they need to be properly rolled down to a small size and inserted all the way in to the ear canal. Hold there for a few seconds so they can seat properly whilst the foam expands again and they'll be a completely different set of ear plugs.

Soldato
Been through various disposable ear plugs over the years, had a DIY moulding set too, but the ones that works best for me are the 3M disposable type (the ones that look like a yellow cylinder) - I get a bag of 50 pairs from the rainforest, and they serve me well.

I've ridden with plugs in since 2007, and wouldn't dream of riding without them - the wind noise on all lids, is just too annoying; and I have tinnitus from riding without them now.

To me, earplugs are as important as a lid - they don't dull the senses at all, and you can hear literally everything, other than the dangerous frequencies of course. So I alway advise other riders to use them, they're a game changer imo

Associate
I've been using https://ultimateear.com/product-category/motorcycle-ear-plugs/ (the basic squidgy model) for almost my entire biking life - apart from the first year when I did enough damage. I had them re-done maybe 5 years ago just due to paranoia about ear canals changing shape with age (i dunno, google it, but the new moulds fit better now).

Last summer on my 4,000 mile trip about Europe and Balkans I took these with me:

I used them for a while, then switched back to my moulded and found the latter much superior. And got rid of some annoying weird booming reverb'ee sound stuff going on during motorway stints.

Edit: I should add, I definitely have tinnitus but I also had a hearing test and did super duper. Is not mutually exclusive, in my experience.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Some good links/recommendations, cheers. I was at my local Infinity store picking up a Cardio Freecom 4X this morning, and I picked up a set of Oxford Filter Buds (https://www.oxfordproducts.com/motorcycle/brands/oxford/helmet_accessories/oxford_filterbuds/) and tried them out on a 100 miler today. They seem to fair much better as the hard bit (snigger) is a different shape and in a different location. I guess it's a case of try lots of different types until I find a set that suits my particular ear shape? Will try some of the foamies as well I think

Caporegime
I can't stress this enough - if you use foam plugs, please use them correctly. Incorrect use will not protect your ears. I used them incorrectly for years on construction sites and factories, I'm extremely lucky I still have perfect hearing. When I learned how to use them correctly it literally changed my work life.

Sadly I still see people every single day at work not inserting them properly.

Last edited:
Soldato
I used to wear these. They were quite expensive, maybe around £50 at the time, but they're very good. I have about 3 pairs now, used some this last weekend when it was too noisy to sleep. Worked a treat.

Associate
I used to wear these. They were quite expensive, maybe around £50 at the time, but they're very good. I have about 3 pairs now, used some this last weekend when it was too noisy to sleep. Worked a treat.
Ah I got a pair of those several years back as part of their kickstarter campaign. I liked them and got some replacement tips at some stage as I'd used em so much.
Anyway, long story scarily short the tip came off in my ear. Thankfully I got lucky with tweezers and got it out quickly. Maybe user error, maybe using them for too long/wore out.

Soldato
OP
Again, thanks for all the input. I've given those Oxford ones a good test now, and they seem to cause no discomfort at all, even after an extended ride, so I'll stick with those for now. Decent noise attenuation as well, so that's good :)

Soldato
Never used ear plugs I do not own car so bikes are work and pleasure for me over 40 years that being said last year friend & I he's been riding same as me no car over 40 years we both come to the conclusion after riding our ears hurt lol.
Has taken many years but they hurt even after short rides also done a lot of motorhead gigs didn't help.

Soldato
If you are serious about this and will use them frequently go and get custom ear moulds with a level of attenuation you want. It wont cost you that much extra over constantly trying off the shelf products.

Most local audiologists should be able to sort this out for you.

Back
Top Bottom