Spec me some ear plugs

Man of Honour
If you are serious about this and will use them frequently go and get custom ear moulds with a level of attenuation you want. It wont cost you that much extra over constantly trying off the shelf products.

Most local audiologists should be able to sort this out for you.
This.

My other half is a musician and found that the same filters are used in a lot of plugs for both motorsport and stage gigging - and the music oriented ones tend to be cheaper.

Associate
I used moldex. You can buy a mixed selection bag from Amazon with different types in it. Try them all and then buy the comfiest.

I am an extremely light sleeper so I have to use ear plugs and Moldex are the absolute best out of every type I have used in the last 20 years, game changer when they were recommended by an MRI technician who used them daily.

As has been mentioned, you need to learn how to use them properly.

Man of Honour
I used to wear these. They were quite expensive, maybe around £50 at the time, but they're very good. I have about 3 pairs now, used some this last weekend when it was too noisy to sleep. Worked a treat.
Bit late to the party but I bought a couple of sets of these when I started commuting 100+ miles a day on the bike and I've still got them knocking around now. Always seemed to work well and very comfy.

I used to use the old roll in your fingers to warm up and push in wax jobbies when I did nightclub security and I'd say the Flairs are as good for blocking out noise but much better at actually being about to hear things clearly.

Last edited:
Associate
I have custom moulded ones with filters and speakers in, cost me about £200 but they still fit 6 years later and counting. Great if you use coms, listen to music etc plus they are all day comfortable.
I too have a pair of custom fit ear plugs.

I have ALWAYS strugged to get anything in-ear (buds/plugs) to go in, stay in or remain comfortable and after doing a track day many years ago the wind noise was just too much so went down the custom route.

got a set from therse guys about 8-9 years ago https://customfitguards.com/collections/motorsport and still use them everytime I go out for a ride now.

Whats-App-Image-2024-05-11-at-18-45-50-c44e8ab6.jpg

Upon having the guy inspect the inside of my ear he said I have very narrow ear canals and have I struggled with ear plugs fitting before... bingo!

Associate
I too have a pair of custom fit ear plugs.

I have ALWAYS strugged to get anything in-ear (buds/plugs) to go in, stay in or remain comfortable and after doing a track day many years ago the wind noise was just too much so went down the custom route.

got a set from therse guys about 8-9 years ago https://customfitguards.com/collections/motorsport and still use them everytime I go out for a ride now.

Whats-App-Image-2024-05-11-at-18-45-50-c44e8ab6.jpg

Upon having the guy inspect the inside of my ear he said I have very narrow ear canals and have I struggled with ear plugs fitting before... bingo!
Mine are custom fit guards too. I'm the opposite of you though, my ear canals are massive and most normal plugs are not big enough i have the same problem with in ear headphones too but i use the custom fit ones now.

Back
Top Bottom