Stream Deck , but without the Streaming?

Soldato
Hello,

Only recently found out about the 'Stream Deck' and although I have no interest in Streaming I do like the idea it could possibly be used as a hotkey unit for quick switching of apps/sound/volume/windows and also real-time monitoring (as I believe the keys are refreshed often?), temps etc.? Anyone using it in this way? If so, can I see your setup pics please :)

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
That sounds just what I am looking for , i think i'm going to order. Going to measure up and think how many buttons I need as I see they do a few different sizes.

I like that i'll be able to connect and control multiple devices (hopefully?) rather then just a single computer I initially thought it was for. Is it USB and Bluetooth connectivity do you know?

Thanks

Last edited:
Man of Honour
USB only I believe, certainly my Stream Deck MK 2 was only USB - but I used it like your looking to, partly for monitoring and partly for media shortcuts, opening apps, etc.
I sold mine and just use a mini programmable keyboard for shortcuts now as its bluetooth and I can use it with my desktop, laptop or Android device

Soldato
No pics atm, but I use mine for that kind of thing. The possibilities are fairly limitless. It’s also hooked to home assistant so I can control the lights and aircon/heating with it.

Interesting, never thought of using the stream desk for this usage. But then kinda defeats the purpose of using voice control to turn the lights on and off. If i have to press a button to turn lights on and off i may as well turn it on and off when i enter and leave the room manually by hand.

Associate
Yes can use it for system monitoring with HWINFO64 (need to use paid version unless willing to reset Shared Memory in settings every 12hrs). Have mine set up for doing exactly that for my CPU, RAM & GPU (mostly temps & power draw tbh). There also plugin's for iCUE as well so can also monitor things from that (which you would expect from Elgato being part of Corsair)

Soldato
OP
Any pics of your setup please Oliver?

Edit: just looked up HWINFO64 with the stream deck and exactly what I am looking for :) I'm going to order.

Last edited:
Associate
Any pics of your setup please Oliver?

Edit: just looked up HWINFO64 with the stream deck and exactly what I am looking for :) I'm going to order.
I don't at the moment as in middle of swapping bits around for main machine so not plugged in currently. Once I finish doing that sometime this week hopefully (got imminent drive failure on one of my RAID arrays so trying to back that up as a priority!) I will put pic up.

Essentially puts the sensor displayed on each button showing what you have chosen as a basic text label & graph along with %/Temp/etc. Nothing overly fancy.

There is also a Speedtest plugin as well which you can set to one of the buttons so you press it & after a few seconds, your tested internet speed is shown (handy if experiencing slow connections when not expected).

Soldato
OP
Sorry for delay :)

Received and very impressed, exactly what I was looking for. Very handy device that has an easy to use app - the Stream Deck is represented on screen and you just drag and drop the icons where you want them and it instantly appears on the actual Deck. Lots of plugins available and more being added all the time. I'm still getting it setup for my needs but just for the audio source alone it has been worth it (no more fiddling around back and in menus), I can now change in app/game instantly.

Thank you for all the advice :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I’m surprised there isn’t a bigger thread for this, the thing is amazing. Can control my whole PC with the touch of a button. Must be great for workflow productivity.

Funnily enough I'm tweaking mine right now, I've just mounted it to my sim racing rig, so on top of game hotkeys, I'll be able to control lights/aircon etc during a race. They're very powerful things.

Back
Top Bottom