Suitcase Recommendations

Associate
Hi all,

Have been looking for some new suit cases for the family, 3 cases for myself, wife and son he's 10.

Going away on our first family holiday soon, I've had a check on many different sites and not really sure what to look for.

Thanks all!

Man of Honour
Don’t overthink it like a lot of people do unless you do a lot of business travel. American Tourister or Samsonite in the size you need and you can’t go wrong. Check out TK Maxx as they often have these for a bit cheaper.

I bought a Samsonite soft shell case back in 2009 and it has been through hell. It has endured over 100 transatlantic crossings with connections and a lot of family holidays inbetween. It’s still going strong. Cost something like $50 from TJ Maxx.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just go to TK Maxx and get the one you like.

If you want to look into it…

1 - 4 double wheels. So it can turn on a dime.
2 - light. You don’t want to waste your allowance.
3 - some internal pockets would be good.

Side note, get a pack of air tags (or android versions) and stick one into each case that gets checked in.

Caporegime
Been using some TKmax higher end (lol)hardshell stuff for 7 years holding up well but "heavy".
Wife has a pair of It luggage soft cases, they are also lasting. Extremely light and relatively cheap. I think they are very UK high street could have been from Argos or Primark even? We got them 1 trip to London.....

Associate
I have a Samsonite for hand luggage Easyjet jobs, and a Dakine split roller for long haul or when I'm taking loads of crap :D
Both haven't let me down in years of use.

Soldato
Samsonite hard shell in a leery colour.

I have two Kawasaki green ones that have survived 20 years of international travel across 4 continents and can be picked out from all the black cases from the other side of the baggage hall.

Soldato
I have a bright yellow samsonite hard shell, it’s awesome. Also some soft larger ones too and they have taken a lot of abuse with no issues. Depending on how able everyone is, my view was more wheels means more to potentially get broken, especially since 4 wheel models have more exposed wheels in general.

Soldato
I’m on the opposite end of the scale. I use duffle bags, have a few in different sizes and all different bright colours.

They’re super light and strong. So you can pack more into them if required. Easy to strap onto trucks, buses and unfortunately but necessary in some cases, animal.

They’re just easier if youre traveling around bus stations, tubes, trams etc as well I always find it funny when wheels are knackered or someone trying to lift their over packed suit case up a flight of stairs.

I appreciate wheeled cases are easier to move around the airport but that’s what trolleys are for and after check in I just use a backpack.

Soldato
Another for Samsonite, go to one of the Outlets around the country and you can pick them up at a good price, my local TKMaxx is crap for things like this

Man of Honour
I recently bought an aluminium cabin case called "Detroit Silver Case" from an online budget type store which I believe has physical stores too. Normally costs £119, but I got it for about £96 I think when on offer. It's in a similar style to the iconic Rimowa. I was sceptical at first, but ordered it knowing I'd have the right to return it. I examined it on arrival and was very impressed so I'm keeping it. Clearly not a Rimowa up close, and yet doesn't look or feel cheap.

Soldato
Heres a question, possibly the wrong thread but has anyone ever used a sling for purely for traveling through the airport and keeping just the odds and ends in rather than a backpack?

I’d only be carrying in it ipad, sunglasses, airpods case, passport, cables, charger and battery pack. I’ve got a osprey backpack which is way over kill for what i need for breezing through the airport.

Man of Honour
Heres a question, possibly the wrong thread but has anyone ever used a sling for purely for traveling through the airport and keeping just the odds and ends in rather than a backpack?

I’d only be carrying in it ipad, sunglasses, airpods case, passport, cables, charger and battery pack. I’ve got a osprey backpack which is way over kill for what i need for breezing through the airport.
Maxpedition and Hazard 4 both have numerous options you might like. I collect military style gear mostly packs/pouches/storage solutions, and these are my favourite two brands. I can recommend from personal use the following which might suit your needs:

1. Hazard 4 Bandoleer - size and capacity probably perfect for your needs, but only issue is you'd need to mod it/add in patches, panels, other accessories etc. to provide a neat internal storage setup where things stay in place.
  2. Maxpedition Remora Gearslinger - probably just what you want, but even though smaller than my favoured Sitka, there's still a chance you might think it's too big for your requirements.
  3. Maxpedition Fatboy - not a conventional sling, but if you can adapt to the wearing method would serve you well.
I typically use either my Maxpedition Sitka Gearslinger (which fits a laptop) with a Janus chest pouch extension for passports/boarding passes, or if going to a particularly hot destination I use a combination of a Hazard 4 Tonto (mini-messenger) and Hazard 4 Airstrike Tech (rolling cabin case).

Caporegime
I recently bought an aluminium cabin case called "Detroit Silver Case" from an online budget type store which I believe has physical stores too. Normally costs £119, but I got it for about £96 I think when on offer. It's in a similar style to the iconic Rimowa. I was sceptical at first, but ordered it knowing I'd have the right to return it. I examined it on arrival and was very impressed so I'm keeping it. Clearly not a Rimowa up close, and yet doesn't look or feel cheap.

Intrigued...Can I ask

Are all the bits I see that looks metal are actually metal?
How much does it weight when empty?

Back
Top Bottom