Suitcase Recommendations

Man of Honour
Intrigued...Can I ask

Are all the bits I see that looks metal are actually metal?
How much does it weight when empty?
The grey handgrip on the telescopic handle is plastic, but the telescoping sections are all metal. The other two handles, silver coloured, I believe are plastic. However, they are made so well that I could only tell that by touch initially/by the temperature contrast between the handle and the two brackets either side that holds the handle. (They are definitely metal.) I normally worry about plastic instead of metal, but they all feel solid and long-lasting. The grey one will last forever unless it takes a serious knock, which is extremely unlikely if never checking it in. The silver handles, I can imagine might fail after a decade or two from fatigue, but a) that wouldn't stop the case being wheeled about, and b) in the event replacements can't be sourced (which is very likely I think, given this is not an established brand) I'm mentally prepared to craft my own replacements out of other materials. The handles have a fairly cool feature as well, similar to soft close on kitchen unit doors; when released, they slowly creep down until returning to their natural positions over about 3-4 seconds.

The grey bottom corner sections to which the wheels are connected, and the main body of the wheels themselves, are plastic. Looks sturdy though, although I do wonder about the long-term re: the wheels themselves. I doubt exact replacements would be available, but might still be possible to replace them with something of the same general design. I'd say the wheels are the possible weak link in terms of long-term reliability.

I just weight myself empty-handed, then with the case in hand, and the difference was 4.3kg to the nearest 100g.

Soldato
Maxpedition and Hazard 4 both have numerous options you might like. I collect military style gear mostly packs/pouches/storage solutions, and these are my favourite two brands. I can recommend from personal use the following which might suit your needs:

1. Hazard 4 Bandoleer - size and capacity probably perfect for your needs, but only issue is you'd need to mod it/add in patches, panels, other accessories etc. to provide a neat internal storage setup where things stay in place.
  2. Maxpedition Remora Gearslinger - probably just what you want, but even though smaller than my favoured Sitka, there's still a chance you might think it's too big for your requirements.
  3. Maxpedition Fatboy - not a conventional sling, but if you can adapt to the wearing method would serve you well.
I typically use either my Maxpedition Sitka Gearslinger (which fits a laptop) with a Janus chest pouch extension for passports/boarding passes, or if going to a particularly hot destination I use a combination of a Hazard 4 Tonto (mini-messenger) and Hazard 4 Airstrike Tech (rolling cabin case).

They look ideal however I’m not too keen on the military look. I’m thinking of getting the Patagonia Atom 8 it’s a bit more of a causal/outdoor look I go for.

Caporegime
Heres a question, possibly the wrong thread but has anyone ever used a sling for purely for traveling through the airport and keeping just the odds and ends in rather than a backpack?

I’d only be carrying in it ipad, sunglasses, airpods case, passport, cables, charger and battery pack. I’ve got a osprey backpack which is way over kill for what i need for breezing through the airport.

I just got one of these....it fits everything but the iPad, unless it's an iPad Mini?

It fits a Steam Deck though.

fbMO3by.jpg

xh1b6Mz.jpg

I can fit all this in there

t16zEqk.jpg

Body side pocket for Passport

icndeFv.jpg

Hook for keys

kDCGcUm.jpg

Can fit an umbrella with this through hole.

oXgV0sG.jpg

Fits Steam Deck

19reHeml.jpg

The Grey colour bag is a Peak Design 10L, which can fit up to 13" MBP....but I really don't rate it besides having the ability to carry a laptop/iPad

V6iqpGO.jpg

Soldato
It’s the iPad 12.9 so no chance that’s going to fit in there or the Patagonia one I was looking at. Maybe just get it and not bother with the iPad. It’s only a 4 day trip. Phone should be fine.

Soldato
Not that anyone will care. I nipped into a local outdoor gear retailer today and picked up this. It was only £20. I’ll test it on my next trip. Hopefully it’s a painless as I think it’s going to be. Can just stick the phone, watch and wallet in the bag while queuing up at security and keep everything else in it all the time.

Depending on how well it works, I maybe converted into carrying it around when traveling through cities give me a bit more room in the pockets and could start carrying a charger and cable when out and about in a unknown city/town.

mlYTAmH.jpg

e7QrjWf.jpeg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Intrigued...Can I ask

Are all the bits I see that looks metal are actually metal?
How much does it weight when empty?

I'm guessing its this one:

Back
Top Bottom