Switching from VM (HFC) to an OR FTTP provider

Associate
So it looks like I’m going to have to make the switch - my Virgin connection has become very unreliable and engineer visits haven’t resolved this. (on top of the latency issues)

You’ve all given me some great advice on my other thread.

Questions I’ve thought of:

The account holder wants a landline still (grr - I think it’s unnecessary!) - I’ve heard that if we don’t use the ISP provided router we can’t access the providers phone services at all. Is there any solutions for this? We currently have a (10 year old) BT cordless phone, so I think it’s probably in need of an upgrade anyway.

Which ISP’s provide good customer service? This is important as VM currently provides terrible customer service.

Also, can I get the ONT/Router installed upstairs? This would help me as I am currently unable to connect through Ethernet and would avoid me having to pay for a massive cable run (I’m disabled - so can’t install an Ethernet cable)

Last edited:
Associate
I can’t answer the customer service question, but if you take the phone service from TalkTalk and the Eero router, they send a Grandsteam phone adapter. I would assume if you didn’t want to use the Eero, it would work with any router.

As for installing upstairs, yes it’s possible as long as it’s within reason. If the room is going to be on the same side of the house that the cable attaches to or comes out of the ground then it wouldn’t be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom