ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ ||| The 2023/2024 Gym Rats Thread ||| ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Associate
Well - 6 week block of back squats...

Very short - I know - but good to get moving again with a large group of people to at least make it less of a grind.

120kg coming in as 1RM.... Got 132kg at the end of the block.... Niggling hip /knee pain for last few weeks hasn't helped but happy to push the numbers up a bit.

Going to take a short rest from squats to see if hip pain clears up - then try and stick with it at least once a week going forward.
I have found once a week is great for legs - I used to do twice a week and wasnt really making progress, and accumulating injuries.

kai

kai

Soldato
Been forever since i posted in here; i wonder how many of the OG gym rats are still posting/lurking in here.

Been training 10+ years so well adverse to drop sets, clusters, giant etc; and i think for the first time ever i had to take two days off back to back this week due to DOMS' i don't really suffer with them but i tried something completely new, Myo Reps and Myorep match sets on Saturday.

Myoreps you do set 1 with whatever rep range you train with (in my case it’s 8-12) and then you have a 5-15 second pause between sets while trying to always hit the target rep range in later sets.

While Myorep You do your first set as a normal set, no myoreps and usually in the 12-20 rep range. Then on subsequent sets you do myoreps until you reach the number of reps you got on the first set.

e.g. 1st set: 18 reps
2nd set: 15 reps, myorep set of 3 reps
3rd set: 12 reps, myorep set of 3 reps, myoreps set of 2 reps, myorep set of 1 rep

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
@kai good to see you’re still going strong. I still lift, also I’ve started running and just bought some kettlebells. 40 next year so training is more rounded instead of pure weights. Still holding onto some strength on the bench press, 120x5 recently at 80kg body weight.

"Running, I just can't. For the last four months, I've been doing cardio, something I have shied away from for years. I'd rather just drop calories. Forty minutes, five times each morning on an empty stomach, uphill treadmill walking on the steepest climb. So boring, but I try to zone out with some YouTube or work emails on an empty stomach. Probably the fittest I have ever been, as opposed to looking fit.

I'm turning 37 this year, and it's getting harder to stay extremely lean. I'm sitting at 75 kg at the moment, and I would have no idea of my numbers. I have probably not benched for over two years. My dumbbell press is 40's for 10 reps few months ago, and deadlift is 160 for 3 reps. I tend to stay clear of heavy weights as the chance of injury increases exponentially for me. I tend to focus 95% on Time Under Tension.

What made you adopt running and KB' over say circuits or cross fit?

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime

Mainly because I enjoy going for a run, a 5K is less than 30 minutes and I can explore the countryside. Shirtless in the sun is so good. My main goal is to improve my CV fitness as it’s poor.

KBs are a new thing I’m trying to improve my athleticism, mostly focused around my legs. I’m bored of traditional weight training for my legs and happy with their size.

Man of Honour
"Running, I just can't. For the last four months, I've been doing cardio, something I have shied away from for years. I'd rather just drop calories. Forty minutes, five times each morning on an empty stomach, uphill treadmill walking on the steepest climb. So boring, but I try to zone out with some YouTube or work emails on an empty stomach. Probably the fittest I have ever been, as opposed to looking fit.

I'm turning 37 this year, and it's getting harder to stay extremely lean. I'm sitting at 75 kg at the moment, and I would have no idea of my numbers. I have probably not benched for over two years. My dumbbell press is 40's for 10 reps few months ago, and deadlift is 160 for 3 reps. I tend to stay clear of heavy weights as the chance of injury increases exponentially for me. I tend to focus 95% on Time Under Tension.

Nice to see you back!

I have tried a myo rep-type scheme from Christian Thibaudeau and it was pretty good from a strength standpoint; I didn't notice a huge difference in size/BW, but I wasn't consistent enough.

I find 3-5 second negatives are really doing the trick at the moment but that is because I am picking back up on lifting after a two-month hiatus.

Also doing some cycling and rugby prep for those there post-40 risk reductions... :D I still can't face running, however!

kai

kai

Soldato
I have tried a myo rep-type scheme from Christian Thibaudeau and it was pretty good from a strength standpoint; I didn't notice a huge difference in size/BW, but I wasn't consistent enough.

I have been following; Renaissance Periodization (Dr Mike Israetel) - highly recommend his YouTube channel.

Thought i would post my diet (hate that word) food at the moment. I am cutting at the moment; so calories are limited and it's fairly consistent day to day apart from weekend splurges.

I take the beetroot juice and have a black coffee and 5g Creatine as a PWO on the way to the gym; with around 3-4Ltrs of water a day.

UKz9sX6.png

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yes, I have seen the work of Dr. Israetel and he has his head screwed on (at least his critiques of the "celeb" workouts)...

A bit rude, but no worse than a lot of stuff out there!

Associate
I've saved Dr Mike's full year plan for gaining and cutting next year, this year is essentially still one massive cut but hopefully I'll be trying to gain a little back in 2025!

Soldato
I have been following; Renaissance Periodization (Dr Mike Israetel) - highly recommend his YouTube channel.

Thought i would post my diet (hate that word) food at the moment. I am cutting at the moment; so calories are limited and it's fairly consistent day to day apart from weekend splurges.

I take the beetroot juice and have a black coffee and 5g Creatine as a PWO on the way to the gym; with around 3-4Ltrs of water a day.

UKz9sX6.png
welcome back mate! still going myself, and hit a few pbs since coming back. 200kg deadlift pretty pleased with that.

This seems like a pretty steep deficit on the cut! gl with it :D

Man of Honour
I wish I could consider a cut, I still struggle to gain, despite whole milk shakes and massive meals. Strength still moving upwards at least. I do need to consider more cardio at some point, although I get a reasonable bit of walking in. I’m probably pushing what’s possible with my age and with no performance enhancers (and without going too crazy with my diet)!

Last edited:
Soldato
Everyone's getting old, me too! Doing a lot more cardio myself these days but only because it'll help the end goal of getting as strong as possible :D

Still a few things I want to do in powerlifting but after they're done it'll be time to drop about 25kg to feel like a normal human again.

Man of Honour
Look at all of us oldies crawling out of the woodwork with our "getting old need to get actually fit" workouts :D

I decided to try taking up a combat sport in my middle age and I'm now waiting to see the consultant about a possible ACL reconstruction :o

Still managing to keep up with some cardio and the odd weights session though to stave off becoming a total blob again.

kai

kai

Soldato
welcome back mate! still going myself, and hit a few pbs since coming back. 200kg deadlift pretty pleased with that.

This seems like a pretty steep deficit on the cut! gl with it :D

200KG :eek: - what's your B.W ?

2,000 calories is a luxury, cutting for shoots etc was like 1,100 - 1,300 calories (this was when i was younger and less educated). Now, i have a balanced diet and a good relationship with food espeically in a social setting. when i look back it was comical; and the crazy thing i am probably in better shape now :cry:

Man of Honour
Everyone's getting old, me too! Doing a lot more cardio myself these days but only because it'll help the end goal of getting as strong as possible :D

Still a few things I want to do in powerlifting but after they're done it'll be time to drop about 25kg to feel like a normal human again.

I still use parts of your original program, it’s done me well over the years.

Soldato
200KG :eek: - what's your B.W ?

2,000 calories is a luxury, cutting for shoots etc was like 1,100 - 1,300 calories (this was when i was younger and less educated). Now, i have a balanced diet and a good relationship with food espeically in a social setting. when i look back it was comical; and the crazy thing i am probably in better shape now :cry:
Yeah I remember your photo shoot prep! inspiring.

I was 77kg on the day for the deadlift (about 8 weeks ago), after 2ish years of bulking. I started back again in December 2021 for a "fitter by 40" push dropped from 78kg down to 63kg and have bulked back up. I hit 1700 cals at the lowest point of my cut and on reflection this was to low. Turned 40 last year, and have since PB'ed on all 3 lifts. Training focus shifted after the deadlift and ive added cycling as a focus cardio. I will soon be cutting again myself, might be time to get back down to 70kg again, might be somewhat close to your old form if i can do that :D

Associate
I see recognisable old names, good good!
I've also been away from the forum and now doing a bit of lurking, I've got some videos of PBs to share soon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom