The Great Big FFP Debate

Don
I read earlier today that the cut off date for the PL was in May but the writer didn't mention when.
Do you have a link to this? They could be referring to the end of the season and that might be the case if the PL don't have any rule in place like the EFL, which I'm not sure they do.

I'm not sure Everton can tactically go into administration anyhow due to the implications with the stadium. Their multiple creditors have security on the new stadium and the overall ownership of the club. I'm not sure how it benefits either the current ownership or prospective owners - Moshiri would lose the club, including the stadium and 777's debt is at the back of the queue meaning they're least likely to get repaid.

Soldato
I don't have a link unfortunately, I was reading it somewhere this morning and I can't remember where.

However from googling a bit on the subject it looks like the rule to prevent clubs going into administration tacticly was something that the Football League introduced not the Premier League. It makes me wonder if the end of the season is the cut off point for this in the PL?

Last edited:
Don
I don't have a link unfortunately, I was reading it somewhere this morning and I can't remember where.

However from googling a bit on the subject it looks like the rule to prevent clubs going into administration tacticly was something that the Football League introduced not the Premier League. It makes me wonder if the end of the season is the cut off point for this in the PL?
I'm not sure that the PL have a rule but the EFL's is the end of March and that's why what you read may have mentioned May as that's the end of the season.

As above though, tactical administration doesn't make any sense for Everton even if they could get away with it. Anybody buying the club out of admin isn't going to pay anything close to the total debt which would mean 777 lose their trousers and Moshiri gets nothing. Although a possibility, administration only happens once 777/Moshiri finally give up on the takeover and or MSP call in their loan and don't want to takeover the club. I suspect what's more likely (in the event of the 777 deal finally being off) would be MSP takeover the club themselves, restructure the debts and sell the club off leaving Moshiri with nothing and 777 only receiving some of their money back. But trying to second guess Moshiri, 777, the PL and Everton's creditors isn't easy.

Caporegime
Eddie been moaning today about not being able to spend as much as he wants.

It didn't take long for it to go from "wav got wor club back" to "we can't spend enough". Their net spend over the last 5 years is one of the highest and it doesn't matter if that's because Fat Mike didn't spend anything in the years before. Even the biggest clubs will eventually reach a plateau in spending if they are to remain compliant and different clubs are at different stages with different revenues.

What manager and what club doesn't want to be able to spend more? The question is, how much more do you allow and what are the caveats if that allowance is significant?

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
They haven't cleared the hotel, if what I heard on the radio is true they did it after being caught out with the mitigating circumstances being that they always intended to do it.

Soldato
Bloody stupid they have to resort to this type of thing in order to say within the spending limits.

The thing is all sorts of "clever" stuff goes on with football clubs. Financial fair play is always going to be near impossible to police for the biggest clubs. This sort of thing isn't even new. Real Madrid as an example have on several occasions sold off chunks of land to the Spanish government at well over the market rate.

With the sums of money now involved it is actually harder for the smaller clubs to game the system. FFP rules simply act to prevent new entrants into what is essentially a cartel.

Soldato
The thing is all sorts of "clever" stuff goes on with football clubs. Financial fair play is always going to be near impossible to police for the biggest clubs. This sort of thing isn't even new. Real Madrid as an example have on several occasions sold off chunks of land to the Spanish government at well over the market rate.

With the sums of money now involved it is actually harder for the smaller clubs to game the system. FFP rules simply act to prevent new entrants into what is essentially a cartel.
Or does it stop clubs ending up like Everton who are in a mess.

Soldato

It hasn't stopped Everton being a mess though has it?

The only clubs being penalised are the "smaller" clubs like Everton and Forest. Man City have managed to avoid any penalties simply because of the complexity of what they do.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

I’ve been saying that since day dot.

It hasn't stopped Everton being a mess though has it?

The only clubs being penalised are the "smaller" clubs like Everton and Forest. Man City have managed to avoid any penalties simply because of the complexity of what they do.

Doesn’t help that the PL boss comes out and calls them smaller clubs as well!

Everton have just been run really bad, mix in the shambles with 777 it’s just asking to be a nightmare. Feel for their fans. It should certainly be in place to stop anyone/entity with a history like them being involved in the running of a community asset!

Back
Top Bottom