The Great Big FFP Debate

Soldato
See the hard spending cap passed the first hurdle, with only 3 clubs against it and Chelsea abstaining, looking at it it looks like a better system than the current one, as it stops the “top6” running out of sight of all other clubs and it also incentivises the “big clubs” to work for bigger league deals and a more equal sharing of the broadcast/sponsorship income, as the more the worst club earns, the more they can spend.

Last edited:
Soldato

How's the "clubs should be able to spend whatever they like" thing working out.

Associate
Soldato

How's the "clubs should be able to spend whatever they like" thing working out.

My club (Palace) went bust twice. We were left to our own devices and nearly ceased to exist. The same has happened to other clubs, Portsmouth being a prime example.

What I take issue with is the difference in treatment of Everton compared to clubs like us. It seems perfectly clear Everton are insolvent and unable to continue financially. They should be allowed to fail.

Associate
My club (Palace) went bust twice. We were left to our own devices and nearly ceased to exist. The same has happened to other clubs, Portsmouth being a prime example.

What I take issue with is the difference in treatment of Everton compared to clubs like us. It seems perfectly clear Everton are insolvent and unable to continue financially. They should be allowed to fail.
It's only 100k a week tho which is nothing, so they should be fine and be let off ;)

Don
It's only 100k a week tho which is nothing, so they should be fine and be let off ;)
Care to explain what this means? spudbynight is referring to Palace going into administration, Everton have not (yet) so they won't be treated the same as Palace were. And Everton haven't been let off for their breaches, they've been given 2 points deductions and face a possible 2 more next season but don't let facts get in the way of anything.

On the point of Everton's solvency and possible administration. There's a very real possibility that Everton will go into administration. What we're seeing right now is a massive game of chicken between Moshiri/777 and the PL and Everton's other creditors. Everton cannot pay their bills and are borrowing more and more from 777 (presumably in an attempt to force the PL's hand) making the club less appealing to other possible suiters. Something will eventually give though. Either 777 will win the Euromillions (twice in a row) and provide proof of funds or cut their losses, forcing Moshiri will have to look elsewhere or MSP will call in their debt, either forcing Everton into administration or taking over the club themselves.

Associate
Care to explain what this means? spudbynight is referring to Palace going into administration, Everton have not (yet) so they won't be treated the same as Palace were. And Everton haven't been let off for their breaches, they've been given 2 points deductions and face a possible 2 more next season but don't let facts get in the way of anything.

On the point of Everton's solvency and possible administration. There's a very real possibility that Everton will go into administration. What we're seeing right now is a massive game of chicken between Moshiri/777 and the PL and Everton's other creditors. Everton cannot pay their bills and are borrowing more and more from 777 (presumably in an attempt to force the PL's hand) making the club less appealing to other possible suiters. Something will eventually give though. Either 777 will win the Euromillions (twice in a row) and provide proof of funds or cut their losses, forcing Moshiri will have to look elsewhere or MSP will call in their debt, either forcing Everton into administration or taking over the club themselves.
yawn, more personal sniping from a MOD, it's your "fact" that it's only 100k a week not mine.

Don
yawn, more personal sniping from a MOD, it's your "fact" that it's only 100k a week not mine.
What sniping, I'm trying to understand your posts which make little sense and aren't supported by fact.

And yes, it's a fact that Evertons charge which they received their points deduction for was for a breach that amounted to approx £100k per week.

Associate
What sniping, I'm trying to understand your posts which make little sense and aren't supported by fact.

And yes, it's a fact that Evertons charge which they received their points deduction for was for a breach that amounted to approx £100k per week.
yawn yawn yawn, whatever dude you choose not to understand the point and parrot the 100k line like every deluded Everton superfan trying to justify the 100s of millions they spent trying to cheat, and now it didn't work out they are in debt By.

It's a pointless exercise, I'm off chopping of hands if it makes you feel better.

Don
yawn yawn yawn, whatever dude you choose not to understand the point and parrot the 100k line like every deluded Everton superfan trying to justify the 100s of millions they spent trying to cheat, and now it didn't work out they are in debt By.

It's a pointless exercise, I'm off chopping of hands if it makes you feel better.
I'm not sure if it's a choice for you or not but you seem to be conflating Everton's wider financial issues with their PSR breach. Everton can be a basket case of a club that are at serious risk of going into administration but you still cannot give them a greater punishment than their PSR breach warrants, despite how badly you want them to. If and when Everton go into administration they'll face the same punishments any other club will, on top of their PSR breach penalties.
I'm concerned they might try and game things. They get a 9pt penalty if they go into administration. I'm not sure what the cut off date for that is. I wonder if they will try and go into administration once they know they will be safe even with a 9pt penalty?
I'm not sure if the PL has a cut off date. The EFL's cut off date is the last Thursday of March iiim so assuming the PL have the same rule, the date has been and gone.

Back
Top Bottom