Poll: *** The official 2020 MacBook Air/13" MacBook Pro thread (it has the M1 chip and everything!) ***

What 2020 Apple Silicon notebook have you ordered?

• MacBook Air

Votes: 72 71.3%
  • 13" MacBook Pro

Votes: 29 28.7%

• Total voters
Soldato
Does home insurance cover things like that (I honestly have no idea)?

Yeah, thankfully we renewed this year and added some extras which includes stuff like this. I’ve started the ball rolling with them as I imagine tomorrow will be a hefty bill so the insurance excess will be a smaller pill to swallow, just hoping getting it repaired first won’t void anything for a claim.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is helpful, cheers guys. I bought the M1 MacBook air for my daughter based on the responses I got earlier in the thread. Just ordered protective case, sleeve and will be springing for AppleCare+ when we come to set it up. She can be a bit clumsy and daily travel to and from lectures is just asking for it :(

Soldato
Why Apple are so good, went to my appointment this morning and it’s going to be repaired under warranty - if it wasn’t warranty it would have been £589 (Inc VAT) incase anyone needs to know in the future.
How?? Fair play to Apple (and you), successful ending.
Normally these companies do anything to weasel out of even legitimate warranty repairs.

Last edited:
Soldato
How?? Fair play to Apple (and you), successful ending.
Normally these companies do anything to weasel out of even legitimate warranty repairs.

He explained to me that because it was a single crack on the screen that Apple would cover under warranty, something about they would consider this a manufacturers issue (even though I dropped it). However if it was a spider crack or maybe shown signs of damage around the edge of the screen (I.e closing the lid with a pen on the keyboard) then it wouldn’t of been covered…

I mean, it’s a little ambiguous but hey I wasn’t going to complain.

I’ll 100% making sure when I go to collect it to add AppleCare this time!

Last edited:

MBL

MBL

Associate
Hopefully this is the best thread to post this in....

Having recently wiped and reinstalled (and updated) MacOS on my 2019 MBP the battery seems to now run out whenever its left unplugged, even just overnight and it never used to do that. Ive tired most of what I can find on google and the obvious settings. Any ideas if im missing something obvious here..

Edit: Battery health is still good and works as normal when plugged in or unplugged (ie doesnt drain quickly or anything).

Last edited:
Soldato
Also consider AppleCare+ in the future. I spilt a small amount of beer on my M1 Pro, they pretty much replaced all of the innards and it came back looking and feeling like new.

My friend once spilt pretty much a full pint on my old MacBook (2005), I dried it out and it seemingly was absolutely fine and I got many more years use out of it before selling it on.

Soldato
Hopefully this is the best thread to post this in....

Having recently wiped and reinstalled (and updated) MacOS on my 2019 MBP the battery seems to now run out whenever its left unplugged, even just overnight and it never used to do that. Ive tired most of what I can find on google and the obvious settings. Any ideas if im missing something obvious here..

Edit: Battery health is still good and works as normal when plugged in or unplugged (ie doesnt drain quickly or anything).

I don't suppose you've got something like a YubiKey plugged in? I ask because I forgot to unplug the YubiKey 5C Nano from my MBA and it drained the battery.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've started using my M1 MBA a bit more, and I've started hitting the 8GB RAM ceiling now :( memory pressure is yellow with 3GB in swap right now, although a lot is from having a few Safari windows open, each with tab groups and profiles etc. It's really not noticeable when I hit an app that must have been in the background a while, but it's still a possibility.

It's such a shame the Apple lineup tanks in relative value the moment you upgrade the RAM; it's insane pricing for any RAM or storage upgrades. I'm just going to have to hope that by the time I can afford to buy a newer laptop the baseline will be 16GB RAM.

Soldato
It's the apple way.

I don't really have any issues with my 8gb machines I only use them for office type tasks. If I'm going any video or dev work I switch to a beefier machine.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I edit 26mp Fuji RAW files in Lightroom on my base M1 Air and it performs really well. I don’t bother looking at swap or memory pressure, does it really matter what those numbers say if things are running smoothly?

Last edited:
Soldato
I don’t bother looking at swap or memory pressure, does it really matter what those numbers say if things are running smoothly?
This is the main thing, people get so caught up in looking at this as a 'this is bad', but unless you're regularly getting the beach ball, or other issues it really doesn't matter if you're swapping etc.

Back
Top Bottom