****The Official 5G Home Broadband Thread**** (Three/EE/Vodafone/etc)

Soldato
So my contract with Virgin media is ending this month and price will shoot up, best they offered was 250mb for £25, I just had FTTP available but no one can beat that price so I was looking at other options 5G I can see you can buy unlocked ZYXEL NR5103E 5G I checked smarty on my phone and it gets 250-300mb down I would be fine with 100mb its been more than enough for streaming

I see that ZYXEL NR5103E 5G are going for around £120 and Smarty 5g unlimited is £16 1 month rolling

Associate
So my contract with Virgin media is ending this month and price will shoot up, best they offered was 250mb for £25, I just had FTTP available but no one can beat that price so I was looking at other options 5G I can see you can buy unlocked ZYXEL NR5103E 5G I checked smarty on my phone and it gets 250-300mb down I would be fine with 100mb its been more than enough for streaming

I see that ZYXEL NR5103E 5G are going for around £120 and Smarty 5g unlimited is £16 1 month rolling

I'm doing the same thing but with ID Mobile, they both use 3's network... and also with 1 month rolling contract... so if you ever run into major issues, you can just bin them.

I've been getting the same sort of speeds fluctuates through the day from 200-350 for me and uploads at 40-50.

I used to have issues with my 5G dropping out for a couple of minutes requiring a restart to get it back for about 8 months, but it's been super stable for me now for the last 2 months, so just be wary of that at least, if you see a speed drop off out of nowhere, but could be an isolated issue depending on where you are.

Soldato
I'm doing the same thing but with ID Mobile, they both use 3's network... and also with 1 month rolling contract... so if you ever run into major issues, you can just bin them.

I've been getting the same sort of speeds fluctuates through the day from 200-350 for me and uploads at 40-50.

I used to have issues with my 5G dropping out for a couple of minutes requiring a restart to get it back for about 8 months, but it's been super stable for me now for the last 2 months, so just be wary of that at least, if you see a speed drop off out of nowhere, but could be an isolated issue depending on where you are.

yeah my only worry is stability

Associate

Also if you're using it for gaming make sure you're getting sub 20 latency ideally :)

I'm usually at 17-21ms

I will switch to fttp once it's available in my area for this reason though to get it sub 10, but maybe that's a non issue for you, in which case can't beat the £16 price for now, unless you get one of those business sims.

Soldato

Been using Three's 5G for over 3 years now, and it is more saturated than it was before but to be honest down time is infrequent and unless you are having a router issue shouldn't require any intervention, I don't use my router as Wi-Fi access device etc, just bridged to a proper router.

You can recover most of the cost if it doesn't work out as the routers happily sell easily in the second user market.

Soldato
Been using Three's 5G for over 3 years now, and it is more saturated than it was before but to be honest down time is infrequent and unless you are having a router issue shouldn't require any intervention, I don't use my router as Wi-Fi access device etc, just bridged to a proper router.

You can recover most of the cost if it doesn't work out as the routers happily sell easily in the second user market.

I already have ASUS RT-AX88U which I use with virgin hub set to modem only, so plan to keep using it I find it funny on Three site 5g broadband isnt available for my area and 5G is good for outdoors Smarty uses three and indoors its hitting 250-300mb also see Lyca which uses EE has offer for £10 a month for 6 months unlimited data

Associate
I really liked the NR7101. I found it pretty reliable, and ran it on EE and Smarty (Three). Mine died recently so had it replaced with the similar FWA710. £350 is a good price. I think I paid £585.
Thanks Firegod, I was waiting for your reply as had seen you using one previously. NR1701 is all set up, was hoping for a bit more of a boost on the DL speeds, but the UL and latency has improved quite significantly.

Currently getting 500/70.

Soldato
I'm having issues with getting Virgin installed atmy house. Been using a Voxi sim on a Netgear M1 and getting around 40meg down and 8meg up.

I tried Smarty and the speeds were a lot slower.

My question is can anyone recommend a way to test a 5g router and see what speeds id get with the voxi sim? I get 5g when I use my iPhone 14 pro max so does that mean I'd get 5g if I bought a 5g router?

Is there a cheap and cheerful one I can try? Ping times in games is important to me I don't want it above 40ms really.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm having issues with getting Virgin installed atmy house. Been using a Voxi sim on a Netgear M1 and getting around 40meg down and 8meg up.

I tried Smarty and the speeds were a lot slower.

My question is can anyone recommend a way to test a 5g router and see what speeds id get with the voxi sim? I get 5g when I use my iPhone 14 pro max so does that mean I'd get 5g if I bought a 5g router?

Is there a cheap and cheerful one I can try? Ping times in games is important to me I don't want it above 40ms really.
If you get 5G on a phone you'll likely get 5G with a decent router, check cell mapper for where your closest masts are and what they support.

Soldato
I see Vodafone has two masts near me and bidb.uk shows I can get 5g with them too

What are peoples ping times within games? I play a lot of bf2024 and siege so lower the better

EDIT: nvm got BRSK FTTP installed today

Last edited:
Soldato
Even though @elrasho doesn't need it any more just in case anyone else does, this is my worst case peak time speed/ping on Three with a mast approximately 3km away. No fancy out door CPE or antenna.

PjqhY3L.png

Associate
Even though @elrasho doesn't need it any more just in case anyone else does, this is my worst case peak time speed/ping on Three with a mast approximately 3km away. No fancy out door CPE or antenna.

PjqhY3L.png

That's pretty incredible, the ping is better than my ping on FTTC 900m away and you have 22x my download speed and 42x my upload speed too :D.

What modem are you on with that? When you say worst case is it weather dependent?

Soldato
That's pretty incredible, the ping is better than my ping on FTTC 900m away and you have 22x my download speed and 42x my upload speed too :D.

What modem are you on with that? When you say worst case is it weather dependent?

Really bad rain has a negative impact, but it has to be torrential storm weather which maybe happens a few days a year for a few hours when I'll be using it, but it's still better than FTTC, for the most part I have good LoS to the mast. I have two modems/routers that I use an Zyxel 5103 and a Huawei CPE Pro, and I flip flop between them for no other reason than I can. :p

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone else having issues with 3 5G broadband tonight? My internet is basically unusable as the connection keeps dropping constantly.
Probably work taking place in your local area, either from three or potentially another service provider. I have 3 5G via ID Mobile

I'll have connection issues every now and again and then get a text a day later telling me work is taking place in the area from ee (I have two sims)

then I have an explanation for the times my connection just drops out or losses speed for an hour here and there.

Last edited:
Soldato

PjqhY3L.png
Wow well I am looking at a 5G router as a backup in case BRSK has an outage.

What 5G router are you using?

Edit: nvm saw your post thanks will look into the Huawei one as I’ll be using a Voxi sim

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom