Time to upgrade, what would you change?

Associate
Currently on a 2600X and 5700xt, been a good 5 years but feel it’s time to upgrade. Going to hand my pc down to my 8year old daughter she’s forever hounding me to go on the computer and play Minecraft, sims, Roblox etc.

Been speccing up a new pc for myself as below. Is there any recommendations from yourselves of things to change when it comes to bang for your buck?

Edit: Made a quick swap on the RAM from 64 to 32 6000mhz C30. Would the chosen motherboard support this? The specs for the mobo seem to suggest 5200mhz

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £2,499.83 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Last edited:
Associate
The RAM should be fine, 5200 is standard 'official' supported speed. Any particular reason you've gone X670?
Seems budget isn't a real issue so there's no point me suggesting savings it seems (I'm not jealous..) :D

Associate
OP
The RAM should be fine, 5200 is standard 'official' supported speed. Any particular reason you've gone X670?
Seems budget isn't a real issue so there's no point me suggesting savings it seems (I'm not jealous..) :D
Not sure, I just assume x670 is the best for the AM5 platform? I’m not so clued up on all the latest tech just from reviews I’ve been looking at I thought it would be a good pairing with the 7800x3D. Budget isn’t really an issue but I still don’t want to go OTT

Associate
In that case I'd suggest looking up the differences between that and B650, could easily save a few quid there.

You're going for pretty much top end kit so you could absolutely save a few hundred with small tweaks, but then you have to balance that with the performance you need (and I hope you have a decent monitor!)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
In that case I'd suggest looking up the differences between that and B650, could easily save a few quid there.

You're going for pretty much top end kit so you could absolutely save a few hundred with small tweaks, but then you have to balance that with the performance you need (and I hope you have a decent monitor!)
I currently have a Gigabyte G32QC as my monitor

Man of Honour
Associate
OP
Yeah it’s purely a gaming machine and I have no intention of overclocking. Just single GPU and 2x gen 4 SSD’s, 1 for boot and programs, 1 for game storage.

Associate
OP
How soon is that motherboard due to come out? I intend to order within the next week or 2 max

Man of Honour
How soon is that motherboard due to come out? I intend to order within the next week or 2 max
If it needs to be in stock @ OCUK I'd switch to the TUF B650-Plus (loses PCI-E 5.0 graphics, WIFI version is same price) or the TUF X670E-Plus (retains PCI-E 5.0 graphics).

Associate
OP
If it needs to be in stock @ OCUK I'd switch to the TUF B650-Plus (loses PCI-E 5.0 graphics, WIFI version is same price) or the TUF X670E-Plus (retains PCI-E 5.0 graphics).
Thanks mate. Appreciate it, I wasn’t aware of the PCIe 5.0 taking advantage of the new GPU’s so I’ll keep that in mind looking at them. The cost savings are definitely a positive for very little performance loss for my use. With the changes managed to bring the cost down a good few hundered. Is there a way to find out when the motherboard is due to come back in? For the cost saving it may be worth the wait if it isn’t long

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £2,085.90 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Associate
You could shave a few quid of the motherboard if you really wanted to, I'm assuming you need the WiFi?
What storage are you going with for the updated build?
Biggest saving would be a different GPU (7900xt or 4070 maybe) they'll all absolutely destroy what you're using now but if you can afford the higher end and don't mind the extra cash then go for it :)

You COULD go for a lower end CPU now (again even a 7600 is waaaay faster than your current CPU) and then wait for Zen5, but again that's something only you would know if you fancy doing.

Associate
OP
I don’t upgrade often it takes a long time to save up so I’d rather get the best that’s available now then will be a few years down the line before I’d need to upgrade again. Oh thanks for pointing that out, forgot to add in the SSD’s!

Associate
OP
Associate
OP
only the motherboard that’s not in stock at OCUK. Hopefully it’s back in by the time I’m ready to hit the button or I’ll need to source the mobo elsewhere.

Also I’ve taken your advice and I’ll get the phantom spirit cooler :)

Last edited:
Associate
only the motherboard that’s not in stock at OCUK. Hopefully it’s back in by the time I’m ready to hit the button or I’ll need to source the mobo elsewhere.

Also I’ve taken your advice and I’ll get the phantom spirit cooler :)
I put my order in yesterday for a custom build with that motherboard and they are expecting it in soon if that helps

Associate
Nothing wron with your build per se. Decent spec, decent components, and will give you years of fun.

I was a lazy sod - I priced up the components, and decided I couldn't be bothered building it. So I cheated, and bought the Refract Azure from OcUK... Specs are pretty decent - Asus B650 mobo, Ryzen 7 7800X3D, Zotac RTX 4070Ti, 32GB of DDR5, water cooled. Delivered as fast as separate components and pre-built. By the time I added a copy of Windows, there was only a few quid in it...

Last edited:
Associate
MSI tomahawk B650 is a solid choice. Using an Asus B650E-F solid, but wouldn’t mind the MSI option.
Thermalright Phantom Spirit Evo should perform better than the Noctua and costs around £40. Using here for the same CPU and the not best in class for airflow Fractal North and didn’t even bother undervolting or anything. Solid. 45% up to 75C. Unless running cinebench, haven’t seen crossing that.
Have seen other places selling the MSI 7900 XTX for £830ish. Very solid GPU according to some owners.
Case is a personal choice. Very solid choice there.

Soldato
Can currently buy the 7900XT for £630 in the uk and it’s not much different in performance to either the 4080 or 7900XTX.

Back
Top Bottom