Time to upgrade, what would you change?

Associate
OP
Final spec decided and pulling the trigger today. The Asus b650e-f still hasn’t came back into stock so I’m going with the MSI B650 tomahawk. I’m not that bothered about gen 5 stuff for now. I won’t be upgrading for a good few years once now, and when I do it’ll probably be because my younger daughter wants a pc so I’ll get a new pc, my older daughter hand down to younger daughter and this one would go to older daughter :D

The case as standard has 2x160mm front intake fans and 1x140mm rear exhaust fans I’ve added in 4 phanteks T30 fans, 2 to intake at the bottom blowing up into the GPU and another 2 to exhaust up the top of the case, should keep the intake/exhaust balanced with some positive pressure and move a good bit of air through.

CPU cooler I went with the Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120SE.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £2,407.81 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The case as standard has 2x160mm front intake fans and 1x140mm rear exhaust fans I’ve added in 4 phanteks T30 fans, 2 to intake at the bottom blowing up into the GPU and another 2 to exhaust up the top of the case, should keep the intake/exhaust balanced with some positive pressure and move a good bit of air through.
Part of the reason I like the 216 is because of how the stock fans are enough for the majority of gaming builds and you're spending more than the case cost on the extra fans here :o

If you're comfortable with that, it is fine.. and not that big a difference in the overall build cost, but I thought it was worth mentioning anyhow.

Associate
OP
Part of the reason I like the 216 is because of how the stock fans are enough for the majority of gaming builds and you're spending more than the case cost on the extra fans here :o

If you're comfortable with that, it is fine.. and not that big a difference in the overall build cost, but I thought it was worth mentioning anyhow.
I appreciate all your help Tetras. Spent a lot of time since posting this looking at all the options offered and the pros and cons. I do really like the case, going air cooling only where as current computer has an AIO I looked a lot into airflow and about positive and negative pressure and getting a good amount of airflow through the case. An option given was to add 2 bottom fans and 2 top fans to bring in air down the bottom and out up the top which helped to bring gpu temps down as it was blowing directly into the gpu. Next consideration was fan noise and after a lot of research it seems the T30 appear to be best when it comes to static pressure and noise. Yes they are expensive. The next option I was looking at was the arctic p12 max but they’re out of stock everywhere that I could see so figured, fheck it let’s just go for it. I’m happy with my choices and feel it’ll do me well for a long time to come :)

Associate
I appreciate all your help Tetras. Spent a lot of time since posting this looking at all the options offered and the pros and cons. I do really like the case, going air cooling only where as current computer has an AIO I looked a lot into airflow and about positive and negative pressure and getting a good amount of airflow through the case. An option given was to add 2 bottom fans and 2 top fans to bring in air down the bottom and out up the top which helped to bring gpu temps down as it was blowing directly into the gpu. Next consideration was fan noise and after a lot of research it seems the T30 appear to be best when it comes to static pressure and noise. Yes they are expensive. The next option I was looking at was the arctic p12 max but they’re out of stock everywhere that I could see so figured, fheck it let’s just go for it. I’m happy with my choices and feel it’ll do me well for a long time to come :)
Tried the P12 max, maybe didn’t let it smooth out long enough, but at low speed, which o use my fans most of the time, was a bit intrusive. Like some Asus PSUs, if you’re familiar.

Back
Top Bottom