Tips & tricks for cheap train tickets

Caporegime
Trains should be free, they are going in that direction anyway
I agree all train lines should be modernised to allow double decker trains like some other countries have.
the bottom deck can be used for goods and the top deck discounted for passengers.
We should have night trains in the NE of the UK that travel all the way deep into the EU etc but instead we are a backwards country whos population only exists to suffer the tax burden the elites would otherwise have to pay

They could do the same for power so business accounts subsidize residential accounts instead of being the other way around. where businesses get cheaper rates

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure if you still need this.. but I’ve only discovered this today.

You can get a friends and family railway discount card that will save you a third off tickets from using £15 pounds worth of tescos club card points.

While train is the most convenient way for me to travel when I’m not cycling or driving… I’m still trying to work out if it’s worth me getting for the few times I catch the train to city centre or to my brothers so I can drink.

Caporegime
OP
Not sure if you still need this.. but I’ve only discovered this today.

You can get a friends and family railway discount card that will save you a third off tickets from using £15 pounds worth of tescos club card points.

While train is the most convenient way for me to travel when I’m not cycling or driving… I’m still trying to work out if it’s worth me getting for the few times I catch the train to city centre or to my brothers so I can drink.

Ooooooh, do you have a link? That sounds perfect!

Ahh damn, just googled it and you need to have a kid with you. I don't have kids :p

Here's the link for anyone interested:

Last edited:
Soldato
A couple of things I've learned in my 6 years commuting to and from Nottingham.....
  • Season tickets are an expensive way to use the railways. Even if you attend the office 5 days as week, it's often cheaper to purchase Advanced tickets a week in advance of your journey rather than but a season ticket, although obviously you lose some flexibility.
  • I've also noticed now that a number of banks\credit card companies are doing cashback for purchases of train tickets from different rail companies. For example, Amex give me 7% cashback on tickets purchased through Trans Pennine Express. I've seen them alternate this with Great Western and others.
Hope this proves useful to you.

Man of Honour
Ooooooh, do you have a link? That sounds perfect!

Ahh damn, just googled it and you need to have a kid with you. I don't have kids :p

Here's the link for anyone interested:

Just get a Network railcard as most places you'll go from Godalming will be eligible. £25.50 on Trip.com atm.
I use mine for the return legs from London, which are off-peak. Although obviously check prices on your route, for me it works out cheaper buying a peak single outbound and then a discounted off-peak single inbound, than buying a return ticket.

Soldato
Soldato
American Express often has Cashback on one of the train providers, at the moment there is 5% cash back when you purchase via LNER

Soldato
I agree all train lines should be modernised to allow double decker trains like some other countries have.
the bottom deck can be used for goods and the top deck discounted for passengers.
We should have night trains in the NE of the UK that travel all the way deep into the EU etc but instead we are a backwards country whos population only exists to suffer the tax burden the elites would otherwise have to pay

They could do the same for power so business accounts subsidize residential accounts instead of being the other way around. where businesses get cheaper rates
A German company did actually design one that would work with our infrastructure in 2016/17

Not checked to see what actually happened to it.

Love using the State owned trains in Finland. Can book a little two seat and table compartment with closing doors on a double decker for, what was it, €15 each booking in advance for a one and a half/wo hour trip.

Clean and on time (it's pretty much newsworthy if they're not).

Back
Top Bottom