**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Man of Honour
Cheers.
Managed to get CC2 @ £539 for 4 (~£135 per tyre) fitted at Costco which is relatively dirt cheap, so going to go for those. I can't find the pirelli's anywhere!
I don't think you can go wrong with either, I suspect the CC2's may be a bit more comfortable/less noisy than the Pirelli's. We had ours done via Kwik Fit mobile and they were excellent to my surprise. BTW do you know what PSI your mum runs her tyres at? On our 2018 car, the sticker says both 32 (or 33?) and 38, with a manual symbol next to the lower number. All it says is 'comfort' but no actual detail. We find 38 really hard going with the R Line suspension.

Soldato
Priced up a set of Continental SC7s for my M440i
Surprised that with discounts they come in at a respectable £621 including valves, balance etc.

Still have the Pirreli run flats on which the car came with, around 3.2mm left on them so will be looking to change them soon.

Last edited:
Soldato
Had the SC7 fitted this morning, no real opinion yet, need to run them in (and clean and dress them!) first.

First impression is that they don't have quite as much rim protection as the AS6 do, if that's your thing. It's there but the AS6 has a chunky lip on them.
Got a picture of the sc7 protection?

Caporegime
Priced up a set of Continental SC7s for my M440i
Surprised that with discounts they come in at a respectable £621 including valves, balance etc.

Still have the Pirreli run flats on which the car came with, around 3.2mm left on them so will be looking to change them soon.
Based on the difference between my Pirelli Cinturato run flats all round and the MPS5's I got in Feb last year the difference will be stark. Quieter and the car rides way better, especially over potholes and uneven surfaces.

Soldato
Based on the difference between my Pirelli Cinturato run flats all round and the MPS5's I got in Feb last year the difference will be stark. Quieter and the car rides way better, especially over potholes and uneven surfaces.
I put mp4s on my previous 430d, replacing the bridgestone RFs & found them very good but just fancy trying something different & have heard good things of the continentals.

Soldato
Soldato
I don't think you can go wrong with either, I suspect the CC2's may be a bit more comfortable/less noisy than the Pirelli's. We had ours done via Kwik Fit mobile and they were excellent to my surprise. BTW do you know what PSI your mum runs her tyres at? On our 2018 car, the sticker says both 32 (or 33?) and 38, with a manual symbol next to the lower number. All it says is 'comfort' but no actual detail. We find 38 really hard going with the R Line suspension.
We have the SEL on 19 inch's, so I don't think these had the 'sport' suspension. 67 plate registered in September, but yes, the suspension is still quite firm at low speed

Here is the sticker:
3ec6J2z.png

I normally go 36/38

Man of Honour
Yeah, the I part in the manual says 'comfort' but it doesn't really say anything else or what the tradeoff (if any) is. There's a significant difference in comfort between the two pressures. I even asked VW when it was in for a service and they didn't know but did state in their servicing spec/manual they would set it to the higher number.

Soldato
Yeah, the I part in the manual says 'comfort' but it doesn't really say anything else or what the tradeoff (if any) is. There's a significant difference in comfort between the two pressures. I even asked VW when it was in for a service and they didn't know but did state in their servicing spec/manual they would set it to the higher number.
On the Skoda the higher pressure was listed as 'eco'.

Associate
PS4S or Contact 7s? 255/35 and 285/30 20s

Camskill have cashback offer which ends today on PS4S works out around £820 for 4 tyres vs Contact7s at £724

Last edited:

V_R

V_R

Soldato
The pictures might not do it justice. There is definitely less than the outgoing AS6, but more than the PS4S. Somewhere in the middle.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
No I do have a picture of the AS6, probably, will see if I can find one. But tbh you need something for scale.

Soldato
Soldato
Cheers.
Managed to get CC2 @ £539 for 4 (~£135 per tyre) fitted at Costco which is relatively dirt cheap, so going to go for those. I can't find the pirelli's anywhere!
Impressively, I have claimed a furhter £100 from Michelin, making these £109.75 fitted each! Bargain

Soldato
Need new tyres on my VW Transporter T5.1 Sportline T32 LWB.

It currently has ditchfinder 255/55/R18s fitted. I’ve just been looking up the correct size and it seems they should be 255/45/R18.

The Michelin CC2’s are £34 more per corner in 45 profile - I assume 55 being cheaper is why the previous owner fitted them.

Am I right in thinking that the 45s will give a harder ride but should handle a bit better due to smaller (thus stiffer) sidewalls?

I always thought it felt a bit imprecise but then we’re talking about a VW van converted to a camper, not a sports car, so I’m wondering whether the softer ride might be a reasonable compromise.

Any advice welcome.

Back
Top Bottom