Unraid docker question/help

Soldato
Evening all!

Having a bit of a tough time getting my head around how Unraid handles paths and docker containers.

I have qbittorrent installed, and would like to use the category sort feature to allow me to:
  1. Add a torrent file to download
  2. Right click and choose the category
  3. The torrent to then download to a directory on the array, but outside of docker?
  4. Allow the torrent to keep seeding through all of this
I know docker containers are usually isolated, but I just can't get my head around how to make this work, have spent most of today googling and researching but feel like i'm missing something simple which will unlock the rest of the answer if that makes sense?

Any help would be grand :D

Soldato
Evening all!

Having a bit of a tough time getting my head around how Unraid handles paths and docker containers.

I have qbittorrent installed, and would like to use the category sort feature to allow me to:
  1. Add a torrent file to download
  2. Right click and choose the category
  3. The torrent to then download to a directory on the array, but outside of docker?
  4. Allow the torrent to keep seeding through all of this
I know docker containers are usually isolated, but I just can't get my head around how to make this work, have spent most of today googling and researching but feel like i'm missing something simple which will unlock the rest of the answer if that makes sense?

Any help would be grand :D
Yeah, containers can be confusing!

However it’s very easy to do this..

Basically you have path mappings to help with this…
If you edit the docket container you may already have a mapping set up, or just add one by clicking on ‘add another port, path, variable, label or device’..
If you add one, set the config type as ‘path’ and all that is important is the container and host path.. these map to each other, the container path is the folder that qbittorrent will see internally. The host path is the folder on your nas that is mapped to that..

I have complete torrents stored on an separate ssd..
In the docker settings for qbittorrent I have a path config item that has
Container Path: /downloads/complete/torrents/ With a value of mnt/disks/ssd1/completed_torrents (this is on a separate ssd accessible by the nas)

In qbittorrent you set the downloads complete folder to the container path, but in reality when it puts anything in that folder that maps to my ssd so the files appear on that…

Hope that wasn’t too over simplified, but the idea with containers is you map container folders to host(external) folders..

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies @Bluecube & @Demon!

@Demon your explanation was perfectly oversimplified, and what I was thinking I needed to do already! So many videos/articles are either so simple they take hours to get through to get the "key" you need to unlock your thought process, or assume a level of expertise and skip over the basics completely!

All set up and working now, despite some torrents being hundreds of GB and taking a few days to move :p

Soldato
Ive got a NFS location on my NAS set as a download volume on my qbitorrent docker container. NAS is seperate to my proxmox docker VM however!

Got to love how flexible docker can be.

Soldato
Thanks for the replies @Bluecube & @Demon!

@Demon your explanation was perfectly oversimplified, and what I was thinking I needed to do already! So many videos/articles are either so simple they take hours to get through to get the "key" you need to unlock your thought process, or assume a level of expertise and skip over the basics completely!

All set up and working now, despite some torrents being hundreds of GB and taking a few days to move :p
Spaceinvader One is the “go to” youtuber for Unraid stuff. Most of the stuff I do with my Unraid NAS i learnt from him.

Back
Top Bottom