• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade AM4 system or not?

Associate
Hi folks,

I’m wondering if it’d be worth upgrading my rig as I’ve noticed the Ryzen 9 5900 and the Ryzen 7 5800X3D on sale here coming from a 5600x?

I’m sort of in no man’s land at the moment as I’m gaming on a Samsung TV but I’m looking to buy a monitor at some point.

Is it worth throwing money at this system or should I start again from scratch?

System specs:
5600x
Gigabyte Aorus Pro
16gb ram
3060 12gb
750w G2 EVGA

Last edited:
Soldato
Are you still running the 3060 or have you upgraded to something higher end GPU wise?

Do you mainly game, or use the PC for work etc too?

The 5800X3D is an amazing gaming CPU, but I don't see much point in the upgrade with a 3060 outside of one or two niche scenarios. If you plan on upgrading to something along the lines of a 4070S/7900GRE + then it would be money well spent, I'd also bump up to 32gb of RAM while you're at it.

A 5900 wont do much for you unless you have specific workloads that benefit from higher core counts.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yeah still rocking the 3060.

I use the system for gaming, and it’s usually at the highest resolution I can get away with, so 1440p but the games I play aren’t the most demanding of titles - things like ATS/ETS, Frostpunk and older titles. I’ve got the Ascent and doom eternal when I get round to playing them so I expect the GPU to start struggling.

I would like to upgrade the GPU and I’m thinking of selling my steam deck to help fund it because I just don’t use it to be honest.

I’m just not sure spending money on AM4 is worth it when ddr5 systems are out there.

Associate
OP
5800X3D/7900XTX both second hand, would be ideal in this. I'd do that and enjoy it for the next 3 years, sell it and then go AM5.
That’s not a bad shout.

Unfortunately I don’t have the post count on here, so I’d be reliant on eBay and such places.

I need to get a monitor though too as using the TV on a desk doesn’t work for me.

Soldato
The 5900X would be a lot faster in multi core multi/applications and the 5800X3D would be a lot faster in games and a little in multi.

You hardly ever see the 5800X3D for sale. Or a 7900XTX for that.

I’d say buy the monitor first and then see what the performance is like.

Associate
OP
The 5900X would be a lot faster in multi core multi/applications and the 5800X3D would be a lot faster in games and a little in multi.

You hardly ever see the 5800X3D for sale. Or a 7900XTX for that.

I’d say buy the monitor first and then see what the performance is like.
I think ultimately that’s the right strategy.

I’ve got a PS5 that I tend to use more than the PC at the moment, but that’s partly due to not having a dedicated monitor set up.

Just seeing the 5800X3D on offer though has given me an itchy trigger finger, though I agree it would be wasted with a 3060 so it’s a bit pointless getting it right now. It’s tempting though!

Soldato
The 5900X would be a lot faster in multi core multi/applications...

I swapped a 3600 for a 5900X (after updating the BIOS) and noticed it much faster in downloading photos to my PC and converting the Olympus-OM "ORF" RAW files files to Adobe "DNG" files - does them in blocks of 12 so the adobe converter seems to be using more of the cores

Last edited:
Associate
I was almost in a situation where I had to make a choice like this. 5800x and water ended up in the PC. Luckily the CPU was fine and I just needed a new motherboard.
AM4 seems fine to me but I must admit my GPU is ancient compared to yours and I still play at 1440p.
I guess it depends what you play and you say you've not tried the two games in your list. I imagine Doom will run well enough. No idea about Ascent. Why don't you try before you make a decision to drop money on new gear?

Soldato
Hi folks,

I’m wondering if it’d be worth upgrading my rig as I’ve noticed the Ryzen 9 5900 and the Ryzen 7 5800X3D on sale here coming from a 5600x?

I’m sort of in no man’s land at the moment as I’m gaming on a Samsung TV but I’m looking to buy a monitor at some point.

Is it worth throwing money at this system or should I start again from scratch?

System specs:
5600x
Gigabyte Aorus Pro
16gb ram
3060 12gb
750w G2 EVGA

What path did you go down then?

As mentioned the 5800x3D would give you more FPS if you only game.

5900x might not give you the most FPS, but it's NO SLOUCH and it's also an animal for workloads and heavy lifting tasks.

Associate
Not really worth unless upgrading GPU, and getting a monitor… and all that depending on the games you play.
Getting a monitor will dictate what you need to get the best from it. A 4k 144Hz+ is good but not every GPU, and depending on the game the CPU, will be able to push it.
At the moment I’m happy with the 4080 + 1440p monitor. The little time I game I prefer image quality, and single player games, so CPU less likely to be an issue. Despite that, replaced the AM5 7600 for the 7800x3D when it was on sale. More like a solid system for some time, than needed for now.

Associate
If you're planning on upgrading your GPU then the 5800X3D is definitely worth considering, but with your current GPU I'd just stick with the 5600X to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom