VARcical Decision

Soldato

Just wow. The refereeing and VAR is a complete and utter joke in the Prem. I actually thought this was satire!

Actively decides to fail at his job as a referee and now wants to profit off the headlines and to undermine the system.

He's always come across as an egotistical weirdo on and off the pitch. What a bell end.

I know they're human but seriously VAR should never have been introduced and put in the hands of the FA because they're just incapable of governing to their own rules consistently and without bias. Because of this it's now created a ridiculously more convoluted sport in which they already were fairly bloody terrible at maintaining consistency in decisions.

Spiderman knows the deal - With great power, comes great responsibility *face palm*

Last edited:
Caporegime
One of the very worst referees of all time, this doesn’t surprise me one bit. He’s on Sky Sports as an “expert” as well, drives me nuts.

Last edited:
Soldato
It doesn’t make any sense to say that statement. It just going to ignite the flame.

Didn’t make the right call because I didn’t want the back lash on the ref - Sorry, what? Telling him he’s missed something and getting another decision right is going to make the scrutiny on him even worse? Where is the logic in that?

If anything, it would have been ‘At least they got the hair pull decision right‘ Rather than VAR is an absolute waste of time!

Mental.

Although it does start to form an idea as to why it’s been implemented so badly as well as done awfully and we still get so many bog standard decisions wrong or missed. They just make it so hard for themselves.

fez

fez

Caporegime

If that was United on the receiving end of that goal we would have heard about it non stop for days and days after that. Its a shocking decision. You can see the keeper stutters as the ball is going towards/past the offside City player on the basis he might change the flight of the ball. Yes he probably does see the ball all the way but his decision making is very much impacted by the offside player.

The keeper doesn't have all the time in the world to look at the situation and think "hmm, that player is probably offside so I should ignore him" he has a split second to decide what to do based on whats in front of him. The City player is very much interfering.

Don
The way Howard Webb talks with his hands is quite something. I honestly thought he was signing the last time he was on Sky.

ryu

ryu

Associate
It's like the officials got a different education. Mike Dean stated live on Sky Sports the Ake goal should never have been given.

They are going to have to resort to the referee going to the screen for every goal, penalty, red card decision that is contentious (which will cost a lot more time but should probably be a higher priority than these crazy 10 minutes extra time introduced this season).
and/or they are going to have to have a team of 3 or 5 VAR officials that vote for/against each decision with a majority winner. It's become quite the farcical.

Caporegime
It all just sounds like absolute chaos. The Ake goal in particular is farcical.

They're in such a rush to make a decision they end up just shouting and throwing information all over the place which means decisions take ages to be sorted and end up being wrong.

If they just stayed calm and took their time they end up getting to the right decision and probably taking not much longer than they do at the moment.

Soldato
It all just sounds like absolute chaos. The Ake goal in particular is farcical.

They're in such a rush to make a decision they end up just shouting and throwing information all over the place which means decisions take ages to be sorted and end up being wrong.

If they just stayed calm and took their time they end up getting to the right decision and probably taking not much longer than they do at the moment.
The problem with that is you have media and fans moaning every single time a decision takes a while on VAR so they cant win. They are trying to come to a decision as quickly as possible.

Reactions: fez
Don
I've said it a hundred times before but VAR for subjective decisions is a complete waste of time. There is and always has been clear drawbacks to VAR - it takes up time, supporters (particularly in the stadium) don't know what's going on and can kill the emotion of scoring a goal etc. The only reason for tolerating those drawbacks is if we're getting a lot more accurate and consistent decisions but we're not.

The number of correct decisions probably has increased slightly but not enough to put up with all the rubbish you get with VAR. In terms of consistency things are as bad as ever, in fact from a supporters point of view it's probably more frustrating now because there's no excuse for the inconsistent decisions with VAR.

The only way VAR can be used for subjective decisions is if they forget about this clear and obvious line. Just accept that the qualified official watching an incident 5 times in slow motion is better placed to make a decision than the on-field ref. Telling them that it must be clearly and obviously wrong just causes confusion and is what has resulted in 3 absolutely shocking decisions in the first 4 rounds of the season. Every football fan, let alone qualified official could have told you that Wolves should have had a penalty, Mac Allister shouldn't have been sent off and City's goal was offside but ask them whether it's clearly a penalty, clearly not a red card and clearly offside and you're opening yourself up for stupid answers.

fez

fez

Caporegime
The issue is that they still are making clear and obvious mistakes. There are plenty where they are making a decision that perhaps with the benefit of hindsight was incorrect but are 50:50 or at worst 60:40. Then you have the complete messes where you just cannot fathom how they come to a decision. I can only assume its the sheer amount of pressure and the time constraints. Football is a complex game where quite a few rules are flaky and filled with caveats.

Associate
I wonder if they should remove the conversation element of VAR, as it sounds manic from the audio (as others have said).. as if they're expected to have a conversation with the ref at the same time as trying to concentrate on the video and make a decision..

Maybe it should just be lights on his watch.. (like goal line tech).. checking.. then check complete.. or possible review.. and only on a possible review open up the conversation...

but the absolute panic that seemed to set in, with the on field ref making comments and asking VAR questions at the same time as the VAR officials trying to review the video and talk to the ref.. bonkers..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom