Vostro 1000 or Inspiron 6400

Soldato
OK 2 choices lads and I need some advice! I'm going to be buying my Mum a laptop for Christmas present (awww how sweet). All she will need it for is surfing, e-mails and maybe some Open Office. No games, no video playback, no music either really.
so betwwen the 2 I'm looking at:

Vostro 1000 and Inspiron 6400

Any comments or opinions?

- Pea0n

Soldato
OP
Well probably leaving them as it is, most I'd consider it worth upgrading is the ram to 2 x 1gb sticks.

The inspiron is here:
Inspiron 6400
As for the Dell machine I can't link to it as Dell are mail order also. however base specs are:
Sempron 3500+
1GB RAM (533mhz)
Vista or XP (bonus as i can choose XP)
integrated ATI Radeon® Xpress 1150 HyperMemory
I believe it comes with 60gb standard HDD space

Might be easier to google "Dell Vostro 1000 UK" to get a full spec list

- Pea0n

Soldato
Either would be fine for your mum. I'd just get the one that offers the best saving.

It's not as if your mum will know the difference between the 2 specs and feel the difference.

Both are more than capable of those requirements so just get the cheapest.

Soldato
OP
Aye Guru, the reason why i'm in the dilemma is because if I buy the Vostro, then 60 quid of the total cost is P&P alone, on the other hand if I spend 40 quid extra then I get, in effect, "80 quid of extra PC" if that makes sense, the shipping from OCUK is negligable. If the shipping wasnt such a rip off from dell then id probably get the vostro, altogether it seems the Inspirion is a better PC for that price range, but it is more. I may be getting my relatives to chip in as well, so id be looking more towards a CD2 + 2 gig RAM style of machine with a bigger screen if they did. Any recommendations for something around the 550 - 600 squid mark? weight isn't an issue, so if it would mean getting a slightly larger screen for the extra dosh then that would be worth it for me (easier on her eyes etc.)

- Pea0n

Last edited:
Associate
Aye Guru, the reason why i'm in the dilemma is because if I buy the Vostro, then 60 quid of the total cost is P&P alone, on the other hand if I spend 40 quid extra then I get, in effect, "80 quid of extra PC" if that makes sense, the shipping from OCUK is negligable. If the shipping wasnt such a rip off from dell then id probably get the vostro, altogether it seems the Inspirion is a better PC for that price range, but it is more. I may be getting my relatives to chip in as well, so id be looking more towards a CD2 + 2 gig RAM style of machine with a bigger screen if they did. Any recommendations for something around the 550 - 600 squid mark? weight isn't an issue, so if it would mean getting a slightly larger screen for the extra dosh then that would be worth it for me (easier on her eyes etc.)

- Pea0n
Get a Dell with Linux and save some money?
Dells 3 year cover is legendary btw. Worth it, no questions asked.

Soldato
How about this:

Acer Aspire AS9304
AMD Turion TL 56
17" TFT with Acer CrystalBrite screen
2048MB Memory
160GB Hard Disk Drive
DVD Super-Multi
Nvidia GeForce GO 6100Graphics
WiFi
5 in 1 Card Reader
Acer OrbiCam 0.3MP
Windows Vista Premium

£538.99

Thats with an AMD setup. Cheapest Intel Core 2 Duo was this:

Acer TravelMate 5624WSMi
Core 2 Duo T5600 1.83 GHz, 2 MB - L2 Cache
2 GB DDR II SDRAM - 533 MHz ( 2 x 1 GB )
5 in 1 Card Reader
160 GB HD 5400 rpm
DVD±RW (+R double layer) / DVD-RAM
17" TFT active matrix 1440 x 900 ( WXGA+ )
NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300 TurboCache supporting 400MB - 128 MB
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
Integrated - 1.3 Megapixel
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium

£647.97

Gives you an idea.:)

Soldato
OP
@ Guru: as mentioned not for the lower price, but if one is available in the 550 - 600 quid budget preferably but not a deal breaker.

@ Waxapple:Linux would be ok if it was me using it, although I have little experience with it my mum struggles to use anything more advanced than basic MS menu navigation so i daren't let her loose with anything else, even if it clones Windows. As for the Dell warranty, I work with Dell laptops, which is one of the reasons im not really looking to getting any other brand. I have the support from parts at work if needed and for what my mum wants they are imo the best bet.

@ Guru second post: The second setup you posted there is similar to a dell one I also found. tempted to go along that line for one with the dual core and 2 gig ram minimum, upon reflection its a better investment in the long run. It was the Inspiron 1721, 17" monitor, 120gb hdd, athlon x 2 (fine at stock speeds for her needs) and importantly with the 2 gig RAM, VAT and postage its for 590 quid, so unless i see any reasoning why not this looks like a good deal to me? again cant link as Dell sell also, but its easy to find on thier site for a spec-check. would appreciate any comments on this ^

thanks so far guys

- Pea0n

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom