Web Dev's, Local AMP Stack Environments

Soldato
Hi all,
I've been a big user of MAMP Pro over the years as it's fairly flexible, stupidly easy to get a project going and makes for a super quick workflow but, the devs seem to have gone AWOL and it's getting a bit long in the tooth with me having bodge various aspects with additional Dockers.
Given the licence fees i've spent and with no major update in sight, i'm on the hunt for a decent (ideally all-in-one solution) MacOS AMP stack for various web projects, typically PHP/Phalcon based, Apache and PHP extension heavy (PEAR and APXS support needed), to develop locally on that doesn't take an age to start.

Have tried XAMPP as a drop-in replacement but it's frankly awful under MacOS and a bit of a non-starter given it seems to suffer from permission issues with configuring (virtual) hosts which the devs don't want to fix. It's definitely better under Windows but arguably WAMP is better still.

IndigoStack is again a non-starter as whilst it could be a great solution and the dev is happy to try and fix problems, it (currently) doesn't allow you to build extensions to work under each 'container'/stack and there doesn't seem to be a fix on the horizon for it.

Have looked at a few off-the-shelf Docker based dev environments like DDEV and Lando but they appear to rebuild the environment/image on start-up which delays it 20-30mins when your environment has to build a load of (Apache/PHP) extensions from source every time - maybe i've missed it amongst the docs but i can't see a way to stop the rebuild at start-up or create and restore the 'web' container/image from a 'snapshot' other than DB data. They both arguably seem more suited to WordPress/Drupal/Laravel devs.
And i could be wrong but Docksal looks more the same from reading through the docs.

So, what are you all using for your Mac AMP stack environments for development?

Edit - This post may be more suited to the 'HTML, Graphics & Programming' sub-forum; mods, by all means move it if need be.

Last edited:
Soldato
I do it all in a virtual machine either using VMware Fusion or remotely via SSH on Linode. You get much more flexibility running your web apps on Linux as that is the platform (I assume) you'll be using to deploy in production so you'll need to test before deployment anyway.

Soldato
Use docker with a persistent volume, should be super quick to work. I don't do PHP/Apache, but I have done in the past and I do some fairly large configs in docker with DBs/Metrics/Time-Series stuff and it's always really quick.

Soldato
OP
I was initially trying to keeping it more local rather than delving down the route of VM or containers, hence wondering if there are other off-the-shelf type LAMP stacks, but i think a VM/Docker is the most logical solution at this point and it would offer the flexibility needed albeit initial setup time.
Cheers guys :)

Soldato
I recently got Parallels Pro and one of the things I want to test when I get a chance is how it compares to VMware Fusion for running Linux / BSD virtual machines. It handles Windows 11 really nicely so I'm very curious.

Back
Top Bottom