Weight loss - it seems to have stopped

Soldato
Hi

I've been going to the gym since Oct, doing weights, mainly to lose weight.

Until end Jan/start of Feb it was dropping off fast, but now it is has plateaued and I am stuck around the same weight for over 2 months.

I went from 19 stone down to 16stone 2lb in the first 4 months.

My regime was cutting out carbs. Even going as far as avoiding veg with high carbs content; sticking to only low carb veg.
Eating maybe 1800 cals a day, but with plenty of protein.
Weight training 5 days a week for 60-90 mins per day.
My strength has improved a lot, my weight has dropped off from most parts of my body, neck, arms, legs etc.

The main problem I have is that I have a 40s beer belly, still around 40" waist and I'm finding it very hard to shift that. I think that I'm slowly still losing weight, but some level of muscle gains is resulting in the plateaued weight which is fine, but I want to shift my beer gut.

Any tips?

m0k2txs.jpeg

Last edited:
Soldato
use an exercise bike, rowing machine and other machines and quit any food like crisps, fizzy drinks, cakes, deserts or anything resembling nice

Soldato
OP
Yes stopped booze, crisps, choc, cookies, cake etc everything.
I have drank on only 5 occasions since Oct only.

I think I need to focus cardio more than weights now I think you are right dave28. Cardio is so toss though.

Last edited:
Soldato
It’s miserable, but the end justifies the means. I started at the gym in January, and go 5 times a week, but do a lot more cardio than weights, and even when not at the gym I walk at least 90 minutes a day. Track what you are eating in an app like my fitness pal whilst you get a grip of calories in/out too, you might be surprised.

Man of Honour
Options are generally lower your food or up your general output so cardio/walking.

Normally I prefer to do a bit more moving so I'm not on poverty calories

Soldato
OP
Just done a gym session.

All in sets of 20.

Rear delt x 80 at 145lb / 66kg.
Pec fly x 80 at 130lb / 59kg.
Triceps extensions x 100 at 130lb / 59kg.
Seated leg curls x 100 at 115lb / 52kg.
Back extensions x 100 at 220lb / 100kg.
Ab crunchies x100 at 175lb / 79kg.

Man of Honour
Most people will find they can easily change their weight up or down a certain extent then it gets progressively much harder beyond that, especially losing it. You are probably at the point where intense workouts likely will be diminishing gains and it'll be about your lifestyle and level of activity overall.

Soldato
Yes stopped booze, crisps, choc, cookies, cake etc everything.
I have drank on only 5 occasions since Oct only.

I think I need to focus cardio more than weights now I think you are right dave28. Cardio is so toss though.

Yes cardio can be like torture, I used to cycle on a machine until sweat literally dripped from the tips of my fingers.

I got down to 10 st 4 lbs in the end but I was not all that heavy when started, maybe a bit over 13 stone.

What I would do is set up a laptop next to the machine and watch youtube and movies to pass the time faster.

Pet Northerner
Don
Measure your arms and legs as you go along, or take weekly photos under the same light at the same time.

Gotta remember that muscle is heavier than fat so if you're putting on muscle you'll hit a point where it seems like nothing is happening, but it is.

Measure your progress in things that are not the scale and your mental health will thank you :)

Soldato
OP
Measure your arms and legs as you go along, or take weekly photos under the same light at the same time.

Gotta remember that muscle is heavier than fat so if you're putting on muscle you'll hit a point where it seems like nothing is happening, but it is.

Measure your progress in things that are not the scale and your mental health will thank you :)
Yeah my main goal is waist measurement. Better than weight numbers. But that Dad belly is hard to shift for me.

Associate
A few questions:

Gym training - are you doing compound lifts (deadlifts, squats, etc) or just sticking to machines? How often are you working your big muscle groups?
With the weight training, are you progressing in terms of load over time or staying fairly static? (progressive overload)
Do you have any 'cheat days' in terms of diet/meals?
How much are you sleeping per night?
Are you drinking a good amount of water each day?

Soldato
the problem is, a weight session vs a cardio session doesnt burn nearly as many cals. when i cant be bothered doing cardio what i do is aim for 10 mins on one machine then jump straight to another and do the same again.

Back
Top Bottom