What do you clean & what do you just chuck in?

Associate
Curious on everyone's stance on what needs cleaning before installing a loop, and what's fine from the factory.

Rads I think are a universal clean before use, but do you clean out your waterblocks, fittings, tubings, pump, res & anything else?

Soldato
Rads get the boiling water and vinegar treatment. everything else just gets a couple of hours running DI water while leaking testing then drained and flushed a couple of more times before final coolant of choice is used.

Associate
OP
What's your reasoning behind the flushing whilst the loop is built? I've thought about doing it previously, but decided anything left in the loop would probably just end up stuck in the waterblocks anyway, so didn't see much point once assembled.

Associate
Three main things:
Flush your rads. Vigorously shaking it in every direction. Rinse, repeat. You’ll be surprised how much dust/debris comes from a new radiator.
Check if all screws are tightened in the waterblocks. EKWB is quite infamous for shipping waterblocks with loose screws. Visual check if jet plate (if is available and is a separated piece and not inbuil with the top of the block) is positioned perpendicular (90 degrees) to the waterblock’s fins. The idea is that the jet plate should distribute the coolant across the largest fin area as possible. If it was parallel to the fins, just the fins under its opening would “receive” coolant, if that makes sense. Not a common issue, but some waterblocks allows for the jet plate to be installed wrong. And I had new waterblock arriving wrong in the past.
Leaks. The one that can actually cause damage. The others will affect performance, but leak is a serious “detail” to check. Personally I use paper towel around every fitting, and only after a while, turn the loop on. Even then, keep the paper towel in place as, specially coloured coolant, will be used easily spotted. Just make sure if doesn’t interfere with your fans.
If you don’t clean your rad before filling the loop, yes, all the crap from inside the radiator will stop at the first waterblock’s fins. Also, tools used for tightening fittings, like the plastic one from ELWB may scrap itself releasing tiny black bits inside your loop. Using a filter isn’t really a solution, as anything large enough to be stuck in the first waterblock fin won’t make its way to the filter.
From my experience before, EKWB radiator wasn’t too bad, Corsair was quite clean but Alphacool was nasty. Decent radiator, but needs serious flushing.

Soldato
Flushing rads is a must unless its something i'm reusing which i know i've cleaned before storage.

New or old blocks, i always check the screws/bolts for tightness. You'd be surprised how many bolts loosen over time from vibrations. This is something i always do especially new products and with certain brands that tend to have poor QC.

Other than that, i pretty much throw everything in together. I've got to the point now where i don't even leak test if im confident with everything i've installed as i visually check all my orings before i plumb anything in.
To finish i always run the pump from an external power supply to fill so i can quickly switch it on and off and make any adjustments, usually tilting the case to remove trapped air.

Soldato
I dont tend to clean tubing or fittings, maybe a quick ring then generally its pretty obvious to tell if there need it or not.
Radiators, gotta clean all the flux and other gunk out. Definately don't want that floating around your loop. Water and distilled vinegar does the job for me.
Waterblock depends for me. I'll always check the screws and a quick flush through its if got a clear top and you can see inside. If you can see then distantle and check all parts

Associate
As above just clean the rads as much as you can.

Mayhems blitz kit works wonders. Dissolves all the crap inside. I used it a while ago on my Alphacool rads and they come up great.

Wish I had kept a little bit as I wanted to do another clean and use clear fluid going from Mayhems X1 Red. It was a nightmare to get the red out.

I ended up using white vinegar and left them to soak for a day then kept flushed with Di. I now us Aqua Computer Clear coolant and its the best coolant ive used.

One quick tip and im not sure if it effects other rads its the black paint flakes that can get washed back into the rad.

These I found are paint flakes from the G1/4 threads from powder coating that can get washed back into the loop when you start to thread on new fittings.

Last edited:
Associate
I give the rads a deep clean with blitz when they're new. Can be a lot of stuff left inside from manufacturing.

Everything else, when it is new and including tubing, is plumbed up to a hot water tap and I run hot water through it for bit (water going out into the bathtub/sink). Once my loop is assembled I then leak test it whilst running de-ionised water through it, which I then flush out with de ionised again, and then fill with my fluid.

I just like to be extra safe!

Back
Top Bottom