what headphones do you own thread - i own dt150's :)

Associate
I gave in to temptation and got the HD 650 along with ZMF pads. I might be biased because it's new and shiny but my initial impression is that I like it, it sounds very clean and natural. As expected comfort was poor with the stock pads, but switching to ZMF pads and bending the metal parts of the headband to reduce clamping force was a huge improvement. However it's not quite as comfortable as the Sundara with ZMF Auteur pads as there's less room for my ears to move around with the smaller diameter. I tested it for gaming and it was better than expected, no issues with identifying footstep locations, though the ZMF pads could be helping with that a bit as the review said they improve imaging and soundstage. I don't like the stock cable so I'll have to replace it with something better.

Man of Honour
I've gone through numerous cable options on the 650s and the only cable I would recommend is the Custom Cans paracord range. They build them to your specs and colour options. They aren't super expensive but not cheap either, but they're so lightweight that they feel invisible n practice. Super high quality terminations too which you'd expect given they're cardas etc.

Associate
I've gone through numerous cable options on the 650s and the only cable I would recommend is the Custom Cans paracord range. They build them to your specs and colour options. They aren't super expensive but not cheap either, but they're so lightweight that they feel invisible n practice. Super high quality terminations too which you'd expect given they're cardas etc.

£66 for a cable! I ordered this for £14, it looks identical to the replacement cable I got for the Sundara but with different connectors. As long as it makes no difference to the sound performance, is not microphonic, not too long, doesn't easily get tangled and will lay flat then it's fine for me.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
£66 for a cable! I ordered this for £14, it looks identical to the replacement cable I got for the Sundara but with different connectors. As long as it makes no difference to the sound performance, is not microphonic, not too long, doesn't easily get tangled and will lay flat then it's fine for me.

I've had this exact cable (just the right end was red instead of black on both sides) and there is noise transfer from the outer cable structure as it taps agianst a desk, arm, itself etc which I found really annoying hence binning and trying something else. It's because the cable is light but the outer sheath is a stiffer structure which moves the resonance of scratching and bumping against the environment all the way up to the earcups which you can then hear, it might not bother most folks, but I don't like cable clatter :p

Last edited:
I definitely need to change the pads on my 6XX's, especially after looking at mrk's photo, mine are a flat as a pancake it seems!

Regarding the soundstage on the 6XX/650 I would concur that they are not very wide and imaging is quite blobby, left, right, and centre, you don't tend to get much instrument imaging/direction between those 'blobs', kind of a studio booth feel, very different compared to something like the LCD-2's which is an example of very good imaging being able to track instruments across the whole soundstage plane, and get a good sense of the space of the venue.

Where the 6XX/650 really shines is the natural timbre of the mid range, it's simply phenomenal, I say it even pips the HD800S on timbre by a couple a few percent but everything else the HD800S walks all over it.

Associate
I've had this exact cable (just the right end was red instead of black on both sides) and there is noise transfer from the outer cable structure as it taps agianst a desk, arm, itself etc which I found really annoying hence binning and trying something else. It's because the cable is light but the outer sheath is a stiffer structure which moves the resonance of scratching and bumping against the environment all the way up to the earcups which you can then hear, it might not bother most folks, but I don't like cable clatter :p
I never had that problem with the dual 3.5mm cable with the Sundara. The HD 650 cable is however slightly microphonic, but not enough to really bother me or spend £66 on another cable. I don't know if the cable itself is different or it's because of the different connectors and plastic earcups on the HD 650.

Soldato
Added the Sony WH-1000XM5 to my collection. Mostly due to travelling. Impressed with the noise cancelling. Not necessarily the sound. Was pretty good once I EQ'd using someones settings on Head Fi forum. Was way too bloated on the bass side of things and sounded rather veiled before. Would not recommend keeping it at flat EQ.

Added to the collection of:
Focal Utopia
Focal Stellia
Sennheiser HD660S
Thieaudio Clairvoyance
Sony WF-1000XM4

Man of Honour
I gave in to temptation and got the HD 650 along with ZMF pads. I might be biased because it's new and shiny but my initial impression is that I like it, it sounds very clean and natural. As expected comfort was poor with the stock pads, but switching to ZMF pads and bending the metal parts of the headband to reduce clamping force was a huge improvement. However it's not quite as comfortable as the Sundara with ZMF Auteur pads as there's less room for my ears to move around with the smaller diameter. I tested it for gaming and it was better than expected, no issues with identifying footstep locations, though the ZMF pads could be helping with that a bit as the review said they improve imaging and soundstage. I don't like the stock cable so I'll have to replace it with something better.

I've not tried the 650s for gaming but the 600s had loads of detail but not as good positioning for gaming as a lot of other options, 650s probably not that much different in that respect.

Sadly I'm struggling with comfort with my 6XX headphones, sometimes even give me migraines if I do longer sessions I think due to the way they are clamping with my glasses - might have to try some different pads as mine are pretty old now and the pads aren't as good as they used to be.

Associate
Sadly I'm struggling with comfort with my 6XX headphones, sometimes even give me migraines if I do longer sessions I think due to the way they are clamping with my glasses - might have to try some different pads as mine are pretty old now and the pads aren't as good as they used to be.
I'd suggest trying the Hifiman Sundara with some bigger third party pads like ZMF Auteur which are extremely comfortable, though I don't wear glasses.

Last edited:
Soldato
I really want a set of K7XX again, regret getting rid of my red ones. I know the K712 are pretty much the same but meh. I've signed up for the mass drop notifications for the red and green variants.
Still got my adapter to connect my v-moda mic to it but I pretty much only use that for the in-line volume as I don't play MP games, and if I do I don't comm.
Got some Fidelio X2, they are ok but a bit boomy. Can't complain for £60 though.
Also thinking about getting reacquainted with some planar magnetics but also I'm kind of not enjoying wires so might be better off with a wireless set (had Penrose before but couldn't wear for more than ten minutes). I grew out of my headphone phase but feels like I always need some 'project' to focus on and can't do much more with my PC.

One thing for sure, certainly not falling for the expensive amp/dac ******** again lol. Though I do like tubes, not for any pretentious audio spiel reasons, purely aesthetic.

Last edited:
Associate
I have had the Audeze Maxwells since February this year and can say they sound amazing, planar are fantastic and I had the penrose as well and the sound is as good if not better. I have been using them to watch films, been watching all the star wars films and lord of the rings so have wore them for at least a couple of hours and they feel great, not heavy or clamping too much, they can move about on the head too much though, I replaced the headband and earcups with Wicked cushions and a bit better but I would say this is likely the only negative I can find with them. Battery life is amazing, as watching films and gaming only charged once :)

DT 990 250, with Antlion Mic
AKG K702
Audeze Maxwell
Hyper X Cloud Alpha
Razer Nari Ultimate Xbox

Last edited:
Soldato
I have had the Audeze Maxwells since February this year and can say they sound amazing, planar are fantastic and I had the penrose as well and the sound is as good if not better. I have been using them to watch films, been watching all the star wars films and lord of the rings so have wore them for at least a couple of hours and they feel great, not heavy or clamping too much, they can move about on the head too much though, I replaced the headband and earcups with Wicked cushions and a bit better but I would say this is likely the only negative I can find with them. Battery life is amazing, as watching films and gaming only charged once :)

DT 990 250, with Antlion Mic
AKG K702
Audeze Maxwell
Hyper X Cloud Alpha
Razer Nari Ultimate Xbox

Yeah no issues with SQ on the Penrose, was literally painful to wear them unfortunately.
I do want some wireless headphones for work so wondering as I don't use mic very often, do I just get a pair that is more suited for work like the Sony WH-1000XM4/5.
In the rare event I do use Comms I can just get out the Fidelios, they only cost me £60 new so I wouldn't bother selling.

Edifier Stax Spirit S3 are wireless Planar without ANC, but tbh not too fussed about the ANC, it's not that loud in office generally.

Last edited:
IMG-20240409-122932.jpg

Just bought one of these, only £28, 200mW into 32ohms!, very powerful for the size, powers any IEMs with ease and even headphones quite well.

maj

maj

Soldato
The K7XX are fantastic headphones but the design leaves a lot to be desired. Both of the plastic parts on the headband have snapped and looks like the only way to replace them is to buy a replacement headband so stuck with my DT 990s till I decide what to do next.

Was contemplating getting 6XX but can imagine the import cost bumping up the total cost by quite a bit.

Back
Top Bottom