What is the best road tyre for Sports Bike?

Soldato
So I need to change tyres on the CBR1000RR, I only use it on dry weather, between March and October.
Most of the time it will be B roads and sometimes motorways.

So I need a tyre that has a harder middle compound (for the motorway)
Doesn't need too have many grooves, as I will not be riding on the wet.
But I don't want a tyre that is too soft, as usually they get a puncture easier.

Rear - 190/55-17
Front - 120/70-17

Some people told me to get Michelin Road 6, but it has way too many groves and it is clearly a tyre to be used on all weathers.

On the other bike I use Michelin Pilot Road 4, as I used all year around, even on wet.

Any advices?

Soldato
Pilot power 2CT is what I use when I replace whatever was on the bike when I by them.
That said, I’ve got road 6’s on my S1000R and they’ve been good as gold.

Soldato
OP
I'm thinking about the Pirelli Diablo Rosso 4 and Michelin Power 6
BUT everywhere I look, tells me to get the Michelin Road 6 lol
Anyway, I'm not in a rush, I will be replacing the tyres in March

Soldato
Road 6s will give you knee down action with no issues, and fantastic performance in pretty much all conditions - if you get caught in the rain, you'll (imo) get the best wet weather road tyre out there!

Any 'sports touring' tyre will be what you should aim for - imo they're much more of a real world option, and truly are a do it all tyre. Possibly only crippled of you plan to do loads of track days

Last edited:
Soldato
Road 6 is a god tier tyre imo. Absolutely crazy how much confidence they give you in the wet.

Grooves or not I wouldn't ever have a non-track bike without putting a pair on.
Completely agree. PR6 is awesome and coming off a sports tyre Bridgestone S22 (which I'm a big fan of on road and some track), the level of grip in all weathers is amazing. No compromise in the dry compared to the S22, yet carries on gripping in the wet whilst the S22 used to feel vague. Anyone requiring more grip than a PR6 in the dry is racing or lying.

Given the OP has PR4's, you have some idea on their capability. I'd say the PR6 is slight step up but you should know what to expect.

Soldato
Ive always liked Metzler M7RRs.

I had Pirelli DRCs on my S1000R and didnt like them anywhere near as much.
Had the M9RRs on my S1000R, before swapping to the Road 6s - great tyres, but I just found that they suited fast roads (as in nice smooth sweeping roads) and the dry a lot more than the Road 6. I tend to ride **** B roads with gravel etc, and although the Road 6s certainly feel a lot slower to turn in, they perform brilliantly on my roads

Associate
Had the M9RRs on my S1000R, before swapping to the Road 6s - great tyres, but I just found that they suited fast roads (as in nice smooth sweeping roads) and the dry a lot more than the Road 6. I tend to ride **** B roads with gravel etc, and although the Road 6s certainly feel a lot slower to turn in, they perform brilliantly on my roads
Yeah I tried the 9RRs on my 1290GT. My main recollection is the steeper profile bringing quicker turn in. Was fun but I went straight back to the Roadtecs after. I'll try PR6 in a month or so though.

Soldato
Would the Bridgestone S22/23 be too soft for you?

They’re incredible tyres. Give so much feedback and confidence. I have S21 on the 690 SMC R which then made me get S22 on a CB650R which gave such a profound improvement on the ride and handling I’ve sung their praises ever since.

Currently have Supercorsa SP on the Moto2 Street Triple and they’re so numb feeling until you have above 20*C weather and warmed them up throughly.

Soldato
S22s are incredible - had them on a couple of bikes now, and give easy edge to edge confidence without even pushing the bike! Only issue, they don't last that long - my 765 RS got through a rear pretty sharpish, but I got a load more miles (and equal confidence) on the Road 6

Soldato
S22s are incredible - had them on a couple of bikes now, and give easy edge to edge confidence without even pushing the bike! Only issue, they don't last that long - my 765 RS got through a rear pretty sharpish, but I got a load more miles (and equal confidence) on the Road 6

I think that seems to be the main issue with them! The KTM has only covered about 3k and the rear is squared and ready for a change soon! I think it will get a S23. They’re only used for a hoon!

Soldato

I think that seems to be the main issue with them! The KTM has only covered about 3k and the rear is squared and ready for a change soon! I think it will get a S23. They’re only used for a hoon!
Exactly my sentiment too. S22's are fantastic on road and light track work, but wear out quick.

On my MT10 I loved the S22 but I'm having equal success in wet and dry with Michelin Road 6s for normal use, but I think the S22 (and now S23) would beat it for dry hooligan riding all day long.

Last edited:
Soldato
On my MT10 I loved the S22 but I'm having equal success in wet and dry with Michelin Road 6s for normal use, but I think the S22 (and now S23) would beat it for dry hooligan riding all day long.
Honestly, I reckon someone would have to be in the realms of outright dangerous riding, to push the Road 6 past the point you'd need the extra grip of an S22.

I'm by all means not a great rider, but I certainly exploit a decent chunk on my S1000R when riding, and the Road 6s have done a stellar job every time so far.

Unless you have the disposable income, then the 6s are a perfect blend of do all tyre, with great lifespan. Oh and of course, it probably gets influenced by the roads you like to hoon on - mine are 'technical' little B roads in Dorset

Man of Honour
Honestly, I reckon someone would have to be in the realms of outright dangerous riding, to push the Road 6 past the point you'd need the extra grip of an S22.

I'm by all means not a great rider, but I certainly exploit a decent chunk on my S1000R when riding, and the Road 6s have done a stellar job every time so far.

Unless you have the disposable income, then the 6s are a perfect blend of do all tyre, with great lifespan. Oh and of course, it probably gets influenced by the roads you like to hoon on - mine are 'technical' little B roads in Dorset
You’re right. Nobody is requesting more than the Road 6 can offer unless they’re riding so terribly that they shouldn’t be riding at all.

Back
Top Bottom