Wii Gaming

Soldato
What are your thoughts on the Wii becoming a popular retro console like the PS2, Gamecube, GBA and the DS? I dug mine out of the loft, that I bought in 2014 along with Mario Galaxy (which I never played much - it was mostly used for Mario Party I think it is called when my wife had her friends round).

I've seen the big games are relatively cheap compared to DS and Gamecube, with Zelda Twilight Princess being £8 and Skyward Sword being £12. Mario Galaxy £12.

I never really played on the Wii so I'm going to try Mario Galaxy and maybe pick up a Zelda and see how they hold up. I suspect the motion controls will be the main reason I give up (and also the main reason it isn't becoming a desirable retro console beyond gamecube games over 480p component) but we'll see.

Any game recommendations other than Mario Galaxy and 'a Zelda'?

Associate
The Wii was great fun on release, I was able to walk in to a GAME store in January 2007 when they were almost impossible to find due to being virally popular at the time and luckily buy one they'd just had delivered in a small batch.

Wii Sports was incredible for a time as a pack in game, if you really played it to the point you could beat most of the games, especially the boxing game final boss, you knew that the controls were more than a gimmick. Unfortunately Wii Sports games were probably the best use of it and many other games shoehorned waggling or motion it in to the point it became annoying to use, even in Mario Galaxy which is still a great game. Some bad examples of being forced to having to waggle were in games like Metal Slug where you had to waggle it for a grenade or something, really intrusive and annoying use of it.

Many of the Wii's best games haven't aged that well due to forced motion controls and lack of HD graphics, but there's still many great games, the Wiimote was also great for FPS games for aiming. Another downside or upside is that using Wiimote uses more energy and you get a minor workout.

Basically most all the first party Nintendo games are worth getting, well worth trying to complete or at least get really good at all the Wii Sports games as well. Wii Sports Resort comes with the extra motion detector attachment Wii+ for the Wiimotes, a great game as well. No More Heroes 1 and 2 good games as well, as well as any light gun game with a cheap gun attachment to a Wiimote, the Resident Evil lightgun games are great, Ghost Squad, House of the Dead, etc. Also some good games on the defunct Wii store like a Castlevania exclusive.

So in 2024, the Wii games worth playing, I'd say any Nintendo first party, all the Wii Sports games, most FPS and lightgun games due to Wiimote control being good, also some of the 2D Wii store games.

Soldato
WiiU is a great retro system at the mo. Plays Wii games as well and there are some fantastic games for silly cheap. Pretty sure cex has a load recently for about 6 quid each.

Soldato
The main issue with the Wii is that it’s region locked. You can soft mod it to play import games.

There’s some great games that will be forever locked on to that console.

I don’t have many games for it.. nor for the GameCube which the Wii does play. It’s worth trying to pickup a game cube controller and memory card for it while you still can.

Check out madworld (Wii exclusive) and Muramasa (suck on the Wii/wii u and vita).

I used the Wii as my main emulator box for a while with a gc controller.

Associate
I still have mine for 'New Super Mario world' and various others.

Fps games are quite fun with the joystick thing and wiimote. They are a laugh, cheap and well worth having around still.

Back
Top Bottom