Windows 95 install FAT32 guide

Associate
So I thought I would create a Windows 95 guide to help others who might not know how to install Windows 95.

There are two ways you can do this either with FAT 16 or FAT 32.

First you want to make sure that your HDD is functioning 100% and that your RAM is 100% good. You can do this by running MEMTEST and you can do a surface scan on your HDD but this can take a long time.

If your hard drive is 2GB or less than you may want to use the FAT 16 option and install Windows 95 from MS DOS 6.22

First you will need your original copy of Windows 98SE CD and your original Windows 95 CD preferably the last release of Windows 95.

Windows 95 will detect up to 120GB of your hard drive if your BIOS supports disks of that size. Personally I try use hard drives less than 80GB for Windows 9X installs.

Right... lets get to the Windows 95 FAT32 install.
Turn on your computer and pop your Windows 98SE CD into the optical drive and select the 3rd option "Start CD without support"

Type FDISK and delete any partitions on the hard drive. Restart your computer and select option 3 like before and create a primary DOS partition and type "Y" for large disk support then restart the computer.

Boot with CD support select 2nd option.

Type D:

Type CD WIN98 then enter

Type CD WIN98 FORMAT C:/S hit enter

The capacity of your hard drive may only be showing around 10GB at this point but ignore it.

Once its done formatting enter your volume label or hit enter for none.

Type CD..

Then pop in your Windows 95 CD and type CD WIN95

Then just type SETUP. You can copy the contents of the CD to your hard drive if you want but Windows 95 does it for you either way so you can just go straight into the setup program.

Follow the install instructions... during the Windows 95 installation you will get an error message about Windows 95 not being able to read from drive A: ignore this and click cancel each time and the Windows 95 installation will continue as normal.

Once installed you'll now have a FAT32 file system in Windows 95.

Soldato
Could be useful for some, thanks.

You could consider using code blocks to format the commands more clearly and separate it from your text:

Code:
Like this

Haven't done this install in years, but pretty sure moving up a directory needs a space:

Code:
cd ..

Associate
OP
Could be useful for some, thanks.

You could consider using code blocks to format the commands more clearly and separate it from your text:

Code:
Like this

Haven't done this install in years, but pretty sure moving up a directory needs a space:

Code:
cd ..
It works without the space. I've literally just done a Win95 FAT 32 install.

Back
Top Bottom