Wooting 80HE

Associate
I'm keen to pick one up, had been eying the 60he for a while but wasn't keen on losing the f keys etc

Wonder how long it will be until they're realistically available

pre

pre

Associate
Is the "rapid trigger" a function of the specific switches that Wooting use or is "software?" I ask as I saw that some other vendors keyboards can enable something similar in software?

Associate
Is the "rapid trigger" a function of the specific switches that Wooting use or is "software?" I ask as I saw that some other vendors keyboards can enable something similar in software?
Magnetic switches I think, that can then be tweaked with software, other vendors then followed Wooting

Reactions: pre

pre

pre

Associate
Magnetic switches I think, that can then be tweaked with software, other vendors then followed Wooting

Thanks that clarifies it!

Associate
What are the switches like for general typing?
I'd stick to a different keyboard for general typing if you're used to a full mechanical keyboard - at least if it's a lot of typing you plan on doing.

I have a Wooting 60 but use the Lekker Linear 45 switches over the 60 - incredible for gaming and slightly improved over the 60 for typing - but I much prefer using my full mechanical keyboard when it comes to any actual typing for a proper work day.

It's fine for Discord, replying to messages on forums or writing quick emails but I find that any sustained typing through the day just feels a bit awkward.

I'm sure it's something you could get used to if you stuck with it - for me, it was just easier to have 2 keyboards and to swap depending on what I'm doing.

Soldato
OP
I'd stick to a different keyboard for general typing if you're used to a full mechanical keyboard - at least if it's a lot of typing you plan on doing.

I have a Wooting 60 but use the Lekker Linear 45 switches over the 60 - incredible for gaming and slightly improved over the 60 for typing - but I much prefer using my full mechanical keyboard when it comes to any actual typing for a proper work day.

It's fine for Discord, replying to messages on forums or writing quick emails but I find that any sustained typing through the day just feels a bit awkward.

I'm sure it's something you could get used to if you stuck with it - for me, it was just easier to have 2 keyboards and to swap depending on what I'm doing.
Thanks for the info. I was hoping they would be a good general purpose switch by adjusting the actuation point with the software.

I’m using a Logitech Orion G910 which is a bit meh. Previous to that a Corsair K series with red switches and before that a keyboard that had brown switches. I think that was a Magetouch or something.

I think browns have been the best but the reds weren’t bad.

What switches are in your full keyboard?

Last edited:
Associate
Have a 60HE myself but as above I wouldn't want to use it full time, i just plug it in when its time to game, prefer my full size keychron for work / general use.

I can type on the wooting though so I woudnt rule it out if you're liking the sound of the 80, i just prefer other switches for typing.

Associate
I'm very tempted by the 80HE - the switches are a genuine step forward for gaming and I like the idea of making all adjustments via browser so no need to install potentially bloated software. But I'm just so fed up of keeb manufacturers ignoring ergonomic layouts. For gaming, something like an Ergodox with these Lekker switches would likely be endgame for me personally.

Associate
Thanks for the info. I was hoping they would be a good general purpose switch by adjusting the actuation point with the software.

I’m using a Logitech Orion G910 which is a bit meh. Previous to that a Corsair K series with red switches and before that a keyboard that had brown switches. I think that was a Magetouch or something.

I think browns have been the best but the reds weren’t bad.

What switches are in your full keyboard?
Just as a quick update on this, I ended up using the Wooting as my primary keyboard for the last 4 weeks for both work and gaming partly by chance, partly because I thought it would be worth trialling.

I thought I'd struggle through a few hours and then stop but I ended up sticking with it as I gradually got more and more used to typing on it - and after a few days of only using it I think I'm actually quicker at typing on the Wooting than my regular board now.

I probably make a few more typing errors (that could also be layout switching though, going from 7u space bar / short right shift / backspace moving position) but my overall typing speed is definitely quicker and I adjusted the actuation point in the software (just like you mentioned) and applied the 'typing' profile they have on offer. That's definitely worked well - and I now just swap between that typing profile to my regular 'gaming' profile when I want to actually use it for games.

I've got the other boards out of the box but haven't been tempted to use another board at all for the last month.

Soldato
OP
Just as a quick update on this, I ended up using the Wooting as my primary keyboard for the last 4 weeks for both work and gaming partly by chance, partly because I thought it would be worth trialling.

I thought I'd struggle through a few hours and then stop but I ended up sticking with it as I gradually got more and more used to typing on it - and after a few days of only using it I think I'm actually quicker at typing on the Wooting than my regular board now.

I probably make a few more typing errors (that could also be layout switching though, going from 7u space bar / short right shift / backspace moving position) but my overall typing speed is definitely quicker and I adjusted the actuation point in the software (just like you mentioned) and applied the 'typing' profile they have on offer. That's definitely worked well - and I now just swap between that typing profile to my regular 'gaming' profile when I want to actually use it for games.

I've got the other boards out of the box but haven't been tempted to use another board at all for the last month.
Thanks for the info mate. Looks like the 80 might be a worth while purchase.

I ended up buying a GMMK Pro pre built for a steal of a price and couldn’t be happier. I will still have a look at the 80 once they decide what they are doing with it.

Back
Top Bottom