Work trip to Bangkok

Soldato
Great trip, although the direct flight was dreadful, 12 hours on a plane isn't my idea of fun. Stayed in the Shangri La which is pretty much central. Got to get out on a few nights with the highlights being the State Tower and a boat trip down the Chao Phraya river.

aDrs3Jz.png

rUPzm3v.png

qAihthv.png

YGg1Wuh.png

iduoTky.png

zgT2Nex.png

rBmM9jJ.png

zdHMtL6.png

QnPXDnK.png

sKT4Iwz.png

DHVHZ3u.png

zZmLVFr.png

0OIrwHb.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Great city, stayed many times on the way down to Koh Samui etc. when it was coach or train then ferry, an epic trip pre-airport days. Crazy cheap in the late 90's!

Don
I never class that sort of area as "central" Sukhumvit is where it's at

Visited BKK around 10 times (though always with the wife :( )

Don
Used to work for a Korean company in the 90's that had a factory in Ayutthaya. I'd work there during the week and spend the weekends at the Landmark hotel in Bangkok.

It was an interesting city.

Stayed in the Landmark about 3 months ago,while not terrible it's not the place it was,not the nicest clientele these days, it that area the Hyatt Regency and Sofitel are my choices now

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I never class that sort of area as "central" Sukhumvit is where it's at

Visited BKK around 10 times (though always with the wife :( )
Admittedly it was my first time over there, so I'm by no means a seasoned veteran of all things Bangkok. It felt reasonably central though, really busy, with plenty of hustle and bustle. We did venture down the Si Lom Road to a few different bars which is heading towards Sukhumvit. I'll be honest I was blown away by the Lebua Club Sky Bar on top of the State Tower, the Distil Bar was pretty good too with some epic views at night.

Don
Admittedly it was my first time over there, so I'm by no means a seasoned veteran of all things Bangkok. It felt reasonably central though, really busy, with plenty of hustle and bustle. We did venture down the Si Lom Road to a few different bars which is heading towards Sukhumvit. I'll be honest I was blown away by the Lebua Club Sky Bar on top of the State Tower, the Distil Bar was pretty good too with some epic views at night.

Sukhumvit isn't posh like Sky Bar but it's great fun

Soldato
Worked in Bangkok for 4 months in 2017. Stayed in the outskirts and got the SkyTrain to work every day. Incredible city!

Soldato
OP
love Bangkok but prefer to head south. I always need a few beers when my brother drives me from Bangkok to Pattaya :D

Unfortunately, I had no time to go south because it was a work trip. I do however intend to visit for longer in the future. I have a friend who visited the south of the country this year, and from some of the pictures I've seen it looks absolutely incredible.

Soldato
I Stayed in the ShangriLa once years ago and Lebua at State Tower about 3 times, always in the club rooms as they were decently priced, the last time I was close to "The Hangover" room , went to the Skybar for an expensive cocktail which I managed to spill half of when a crowd knocked into me heh, the breakfast at Lebua is also great
last time I went to Bangkok I stayed at the Millenium Hilton for a night just across the river from the ShangriLa , also a nice hotel and Right next to Icon Siam , it’s a pretty decent area to stay tbh, ph and the Mandarin Oriental is close too and worth a look in , they have a great dim sum ‘all you can eat‘ there and all freshly cooked to order

can’t wait to go back to BK in a few months but next time will just be in a budget hotel as we just don’t spend enough time inside to warrant the expense although may do 1 night somewhere nice just for a treat

Back
Top Bottom