Worth paying more for an Audi over a Skoda?

Soldato
I havent owned one, just have you in my pocket for the most bizzarre posts.

Heres a use case. Football boots to wang in boot rather than waiting for a power tailgate to open and close after a game of football in the rain where I've reverse to another car and want to get into the pub to see the second half of Villa Liverpool kick off.

How about that? Thats critical thinking. - PS - I didn't use Google.

Its not to dissimilar to a Range Rover or Discovery split tailgate in that regard but MUCH faster to open!

P.PS Did i have to own it, or would lease use count as valid experience?

Man of Honour
how many estates have you owned - small opening is just a gimmick and I subsequently thought of the samsung washing machines which have the same thing,
with same problems.

Like I said, I don't value it because I don't buy estate cars but everyone I know who has had one thinks it's really useful, especially people with pets.

Last edited:
Soldato
OK coincidentally saw why pet owners like the split tailgate - they can reach in to their pets to stroke / feed them - too embarrassed to ask.
the couple of people I know with a dachund & stbernard neither would be capable of jumping in through the window.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Well yeah, clearly things dont happen in the real world unless theres a youtube video on it.
Clearly!
The opening hatch is very useful and it's a shame more cars don't offer this.
The fact BMW have dropped this from the new 5 Touring is sacrilegious!

Soldato
yes - the new chatgpt functionality to reognise (my) sarcasm announced this week is going to come in useful as an add-on for OC posts.
if I could de-option split on next touring I would do so - just a liability for long term ownership.
I don't know if there are hydraulics in the main boot opening, like for convertible top, but if fixing the former is like cost for the latter, recently discussed in bm thread .. hmmh

Soldato
I have been looking similar skoda vs audi. Mechanic who deals in performance vehicle and 30+ years experience told me to avoid the 1.5 tfsi as they arent reliable. They are also underpower when pulling about a heavier estate.

18k if you look about could land you a 2016 or newer Audi A6 Avant Black Edition

Petrol

Diesel

The 2l TDI engines are robust and there 100s of older ones for sale with 150k+ on the clock so defo a long term option if you do the usual upkeep and serviving

On the Skoda option they aren't as nice interior compared to the Audi in my opinion. On of my mates has put 60k onto his 2018 Octavia (40-100k now) and majority of those miles in last 2 year have been take away deliveries and hes had no issues, showing signs now of need a clutch but expected around these miles.

Get out and test drive and see what suits you better :)
I had the 1.5tsi in a Passat. Needed a new gearbox after 9000 miles and was woefully slow. Awful engine in a car that size.

Associate
I've ended up with a free Skoda Yeti 4x4 1.8 TSI which immediately received a remap.

Honestly I've been really surprised with it, as I would never have considered a cross over if it hadn't been given to me.

Massive space in the back with the rear seats removed, plenty of poke (for what it is) with the 4x4 and 200+ bhp. Good enough offroad for the dirt trails that I go over through the mountains and can tow without any drama.

Given the raised seating position, it actually goes round corners better than it should, only real downside is that it has a pretty mean blind spot.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
yes - the new chatgpt functionality to reognise (my) sarcasm announced this week is going to come in useful as an add-on for OC posts.
if I could de-option split on next touring I would do so - just a liability for long term ownership.
I don't know if there are hydraulics in the main boot opening, like for convertible top, but if fixing the former is like cost for the latter, recently discussed in bm thread .. hmmh
it's literally just a pair of struts....

Associate
OP
I had the 1.5tsi in a Passat. Needed a new gearbox after 9000 miles and was woefully slow. Awful engine in a car that size.
What happened to the gearbox after 9000 miles? Was it an auto or a manual box? 150hp isn't going to move an estate car that size very quickly but with a remap you get a half decent gain which should see it accelerate at a more acceptable level. I rarely drive rapidly these days though. I'm sure I'd miss what I have for nipping past things when needed but 98% of the time I'm just bimbling around now.

Soldato
What happened to the gearbox after 9000 miles? Was it an auto or a manual box? 150hp isn't going to move an estate car that size very quickly but with a remap you get a half decent gain which should see it accelerate at a more acceptable level. I rarely drive rapidly these days though. I'm sure I'd miss what I have for nipping past things when needed but 98% of the time I'm just bimbling around now.
I’m not entirely sure to be honest - it used to clunk when changing gears (it’s was the auto box). It was a 2019 car. VW took one look and said it needed a whole new box….. lol

It also needed:
A completely new head unit / the screen, the software, all of it
New engine management system that sits behind the glove box - the whole lot (costs thousands)
New radar camera system that sits within the rear view mirror including all cameras
A complete wipe and reinstall of all the media software
New brakes dics due to warping

Even then, when you put a postcode into the sat nav system it would completely lock up, emit a high pitched scream through the speakers and reset itself.

The whole car was a mess. It was a brand new company car at the time.

Eventually I just threw the towel in and told my fleet manager I had had enough. VW were willing to keep trying to fix it but I couldn’t be bothered.
It spent months in the garage.

I got rid and ordered a brand new 330e Msport Pro touring and my god….. it’s night and day. It’s refined, fast, the interior is so well made, it handles beautifully and it’s damned economical when it needs to be.

The boots not big though - mind you, at least the Passat could fit a lot in it

Soldato
Any info on what is so unreliable with the VAG 1.5TFSI? I've just been reading and can see that when paired with a manual gearbox there were numerous experiencing a kangarooing effect in 1st and 2nd gear at low speed. It seems there were software updates released and that those problems 'should' have disappeared by now? I wonder if a remap would have fixed that issue? Strange all is OK when the engine is paired with a DSG / auto box.
had you found any more details on this 1.5tfsi problems ... unfortunately seems as common as m*
kangarooing seems to be indicative of dmf issues

Associate
OP
had you found any more details on this 1.5tfsi problems ... unfortunately seems as common as m*
kangarooing seems to be indicative of dmf issues
No. I figured I'd just avoid buying one. What I read though was it was due to software issues but who knows. Why the hell would a 1.5 need a DMF? That said my current Audi, which is petrol, has a DMF. I know it's supposed to smooth things out in a manual car. Never had any issues with a car that didn't have a DMF though. As those kangarooing issues start at not very high miles it'd be concerning if it is DMF issues. Had my clutch changed at around 90k due to the gearbox issue (might as well do it whilst box is out). I still had meat left on the clutch plates and my DMF is halfway gone they said. Something about it's on notch 3 and there are 6. It's not making any dodgy noises, that's all I'd be concerned about.

Soldato
I doubt there’s much mechanical difference between them given they’re both built by VAG using similar components.

Mostly comes down to whether you feel the better interior materials if the Audi are when paying extra for and which car you prefer the design/features/styling of.

Last edited:
Soldato
afaik he hadn't dimsissed other brands ... it's more of a question of if it's a vag is there anything massively better, especially on reliability front, of an audi/vw over a skoda.

Soldato
looks like kangarooing was fixed in evo2 version of engine ..
so will probably have to learn how to distinguish engines from VIN or engine markings you could identify in dealer forecourt.
Not sure if everyone has seen that VW are now putting the new 1.5 Tsi EVO2 engine in the T-ROC and T-ROC convertible. Reputedly it has lower emissions and is more fuel efficient than the EVO 1 engine and puts the kangarooing to bed once and for all. Changes to emissions unit and a redesigned turbo unit allow it to be used with more eco fuels and cylinder deactivation now works more effectively and in many more circumstances than with the previous engine. Plan is to extend it to replace the EVO 1 engine in all VAG models over the coming months. The system is equally applicable to 2 litre version and can be coupled with hybrid technology.

Back
Top Bottom