Would Paris be too busy in August, if so alternatives?

Soldato
I'm looking at taking the Mrs away on a Friday to Monday break in August. My initial thought was Paris as she's never been there, but I'm wondering if it would be just ridiculously busy to do anything and to visit Paris in something like May or October instead?

I'm also completely open to alternatives if anyone has any ideas, a city break somewhere, a chilled few days, an exciting few days, anything. We're going to Croatia on honeymoon in June so I'd avoid the Balkans.
The only stipulation is Friday to Monday and a budget up to £1500 for flights and hotel.

Thanks

Soldato
I'm looking at taking the Mrs away on a Friday to Monday break in August. My initial thought was Paris as she's never been there, but I'm wondering if it would be just ridiculously busy to do anything and to visit Paris in something like May or October instead?

I'm also completely open to alternatives if anyone has any ideas, a city break somewhere, a chilled few days, an exciting few days, anything. We're going to Croatia on honeymoon in June so I'd avoid the Balkans.
The only stipulation is Friday to Monday and a budget up to £1500 for flights and hotel.

Thanks
Paris and other major capitals are never really quiet, the honeypot attractions will always be busy.

Personally for a city break I like Valencia. Pretty cheap. Absolutely loads of great food, nice old town to walk around. A nice beach and beachside restaurants. Good public transport, metro from airport to town is like 20 minutes. It's a tourist destination for sure but it's not totally spoiled like some other cities I've got in trouble for criticising :p

Spain can be sweltering in August mind, so bear that in mind.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you don’t like the heat, there’s always Helsinki. Bags of history and very chill vibe.

Don’t miss drinks on the rooftop bar at the Torni Hotel and a visit to Stephan’s Steakhouse.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
My partner went last August for a whistle stop tour. It was busy, but not awful. We managed to do all the main places such as the tower, Louvre, Arc de Triomphe, Place De La Bastille, The Madeleine Church and we also did the Montparnasse Observation Deck (I enjoyed this, nice views, go at sunset!). We were then grounded by the ATC issue so I bought us a day ticket for Disney before our tactical later flight home a day later (I wasn't going to pass up a childless trip to Disney to get on the rides!).

It was not a relaxed romantic break as we only booked 2 nights and cheaped out on the hotel figuring we'd be hardly in there. We had to carry our backpacks for the 3 days we were flying (or supposed to be flying) which got old quick given we did the Louvre just after we landed (what a maze!). It was quite hot most of the time, although we did get rained on heavy on one of the days. Otherwise it was glorious weather. The tower was quite pleasant but we couldn't do the top as it was sold out but it was enough for me anyway. The metro was easy enough to navigate but you still walk a hell of a lot however we're rural northerners so that doesn't bother us. Most of the city is nice but I found a lot of the food places and quite samey. I'd recommend finding at lease one finer rated restaurant in advance for at least one posh night out for some authentic Parisian cuisine.

We winged the whole thing without booking in advance so I would definitely do that if you can plan it otherwise you may miss out. The Olympics is this August so it may be a write off, there was a huge Police presence when we were there and I can only imagine the Olympics will heighten that.

Back
Top Bottom