X570 Aorus Elite - ethernet stopped working

Associate
Hi all, earlier in the week I added some more RAM to my PC and upgraded to Windows 11.

All was working as expected until a couple of days later, when I replaced the thermal paste on my CPU cooler

When putting it all back together, I had a message to say that my BIOS settings had been reset.

When booting into Windows, I noticed that there was no internet connection. However, the PC is working perfectly in every other way, as far as I can tell.

When using the Windows 11 network troubleshooting tool, I get this message:

'You're connected using a virtual network adaptor that we can't test.'

When looking at the Network adapters section in Device Manager there are eight listings, each begining with 'WAN Miniport...' but nothing else.

There are no orange exclamation marks next to anything.

It's been years since last looked in Device Manager but I feel like there should be something that mentions Ethernet, LAN, Network, Realtek or similar.

I went back to the original BIOS version and then updated to the most recent BIOS.

I've installed what I think are the latest chipset drivers and motherboard drivers.

I've let Windows 11 update everything but nothing has helped so far.

I can tether the PC to my phone's wifi via USB-C to USB. An ethernet to USB adapter also works, so it's not my router or the ethernet cable.

I'm wondering if I've knackered the ethernet port on the motherboard itself?

Would a kind person mind linking me to the driver(s) that I should be using, just so that I know I've tried the right one(s)? Are there any other things I should try?

AMD 3700x processor
Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM
BIOS F39
BIOS Vender: AMI EUFI BIOS

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Did you check network adapters settings in the bios ?

Have you tried booting into safe mode with network.

drivers
You want Lan driver

I have one of these boards, and haven't had to do anything special with the drivers. Windows has always detected and installed without any effort needed.

As Micky says, go into the BIOS and check the update hasn't disabled the onboard ethernet port. I'd bet that's the culprit too.

Associate
My ethernet port on my X570 Aorus Elite randomly died. Well it started playing up, random disconnections and causing issues, I ditched it before it did fully pack up!

Disabled it and chucked it a cheap TP Link 1GB pcie card and it's been fine since.

Last edited:
Associate
OP

drivers
You want Lan driver

I have one of these boards, and haven't had to do anything special with the drivers. Windows has always detected and installed without any effort needed.

As Micky says, go into the BIOS and check the update hasn't disabled the onboard ethernet port. I'd bet that's the culprit too.

Thank you both - I'll double check these ideas and let you know how I get on.

Soldato
I had issues with the x570 aorus ultra ethernet
It would randomly disappear
Vaguely recollect having to shut down pc
Then disconnect it from the wall socket/or psu whichever
Is easier to reach for a minute or two
Don't remember if also cleared the cmos
It would reappear and work for however long it wanted
Before disappearing again

Associate
OP
Hi all, earlier in the week I added some more RAM to my PC and upgraded to Windows 11.

All was working as expected until a couple of days later, when I replaced the thermal paste on my CPU cooler

When putting it all back together, I had a message to say that my BIOS settings had been reset.

When booting into Windows, I noticed that there was no internet connection. However, the PC is working perfectly in every other way, as far as I can tell.

When using the Windows 11 network troubleshooting tool, I get this message:

'You're connected using a virtual network adaptor that we can't test.'

When looking at the Network adapters section in Device Manager there are eight listings, each begining with 'WAN Miniport...' but nothing else.

There are no orange exclamation marks next to anything.

It's been years since last looked in Device Manager but I feel like there should be something that mentions Ethernet, LAN, Network, Realtek or similar.

I went back to the original BIOS version and then updated to the most recent BIOS.

I've installed what I think are the latest chipset drivers and motherboard drivers.

I've let Windows 11 update everything but nothing has helped so far.

I can tether the PC to my phone's wifi via USB-C to USB. An ethernet to USB adapter also works, so it's not my router or the ethernet cable.

I'm wondering if I've knackered the ethernet port on the motherboard itself?

Would a kind person mind linking me to the driver(s) that I should be using, just so that I know I've tried the right one(s)? Are there any other things I should try?

AMD 3700x processor
Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM
BIOS F39
BIOS Vender: AMI EUFI BIOS

Thank you in advance

drivers
You want Lan driver

Turns out I had actually already tried installing the above driver - this is the message I get:

This program might not have installed correctly
7z Setup SFX
Igor Pavlov
If this program didn't install correctly, you can try installing the program using compatibility settings.

I couldn't find anything obvious about network in the BIOS.

In the video below (around the 6min 34 mark) Intel(R) Ethernet Controller xyz can be seen on screen at the bottom of the menu.

I don't have that (or anything similar) anywhere in my BIOS.

I'm not great with computers so it's likely I'm doing something/missing something daft!

Man of Honour
This program might not have installed correctly
7z Setup SFX
Igor Pavlov
If this program didn't install correctly, you can try installing the program using compatibility settings.
That's a zip program, not a driver, so not sure why you'd get that message unless the driver tried to install it to extract an archive.

Soldato
That's a zip program, not a driver, so not sure why you'd get that message unless the driver tried to install it to extract an archive.
Think the driver is a self extracting 7 zip file
Standard zip files you need to have
A program installed and associated with zip
Sfx is self extracting
Ie contains what's necessary to unzip itself within the archive

Last edited:
Soldato
Ew, I think I'd be downloading that direct from the manufacturer then.
I think the reasoning behind self extracting
Would be a surprising amount of pc users wouldn't actually know
What to do with a zip,rar,etc file
If there wasn't already something on their pc
That opens them
Latest windows 11 builds are finally able to natively deal
With a load of different zip,rar,etc formats
Yeah self extracting isn't great from a security point you could argue
But then again a lot of anti virus softwares
The default settings are not to scan zip,rar,archives
Only when you open them
Uses less system resources I guess

KABvgN4.jpeg

k81cO6R.jpeg

Here you go. Settings, I/O ports, onboard Ian controller.

Soldato
I had an issue with a Gigabyte X570 Master ethernet controller, a year or so ago but that was the i225v controller, the intel controllers are the worst, I managed to fix it by updating the firmware for the controller, unfortunately I dont think I have that firmware anymore, but I got it from station drivers, it was also lost on that board after a bios update, all I can guess is Gigabyte arnt testing their bioses properly.......although they seem to be in beta forever.........and fixing one thing, yet killing another.

This is it here, you can have a look around and see if it contains the firmware for your controller, or if they have the firmware for yours on that site: https://www.station-drivers.com/ind...Controllers-Firmware-Version-1.79/lang,en-gb/

EDIT: in fact a quick look around looks like this will be for yours, but the fact you dont have it listed in the bios with a mac address says its gone completely, worth a go though, TITLE: Intel Gigabit Ethernet NVM Image https://www.station-drivers.com/ind...-controller-Firmware-Version-3.30/lang,en-gb/

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I had an issue with a Gigabyte X570 Master ethernet controller, a year or so ago but that was the i225v controller, the intel controllers are the worst, I managed to fix it by updating the firmware for the controller, unfortunately I dont think I have that firmware anymore, but I got it from station drivers, it was also lost on that board after a bios update, all I can guess is Gigabyte arnt testing their bioses properly.......although they seem to be in beta forever.........and fixing one thing, yet killing another.

This is it here, you can have a look around and see if it contains the firmware for your controller, or if they have the firmware for yours on that site: https://www.station-drivers.com/ind...Controllers-Firmware-Version-1.79/lang,en-gb/

EDIT: in fact a quick look around looks like this will be for yours, but the fact you dont have it listed in the bios with a mac address says its gone completely, worth a go though, TITLE: Intel Gigabit Ethernet NVM Image https://www.station-drivers.com/ind...-controller-Firmware-Version-3.30/lang,en-gb/
Thank you very much - I'll give it a go in a day or so and let you know how I get on.

It's as though all trace of me ever having ethernet has been scrubbed!

Back
Top Bottom