Your bad driving encounters

Soldato
I'm struggling to picture what you meant by this

I'm assuming your DFM was performing a turn-in-the-road (3point turn) & your neighbour reversed out and turned into DFM.

Neighbour SHOULD be found at fault as the reversed onto the carriageway when it wasn't clear but their insurer will probably try to argue 50/50.
Here's a badly drawn image:

A96WWbz.jpeg

Orange line is my mate driving in, turning right, then reversing back (blue bits are front of cars).

The neighbour then reversed out and turned straight into the drivers side doors as my mate was reversing to then turn right and drive back across my neighbour and my driveways. hope this helps?

Soldato
Yeah roundabouts are terrible these days a mixture of people not even bothering to try and learn how to use them and increasingly rubbish layouts or changes which make no sense or changes which make sense but only after you've used the roundabout from end to end the first time to make sense of them...
The one near us that is a problem is the northern distributor road (as everyone knows it) or "Broadland Northway" as they are now insisting on calling it.

12.3 miles, 11 roundabouts. At rush hour its like wacky races. Every roundabout has these weirdly sharp angle approaches onto and off of them, so people don't bother and just do a lane 1 > lane 2 > lane 1 combo. As well as scrimping on the flyover bridges they also chose not to put street lights on it so quite often people will not expect another roundabout within less than a mile on an NSL dual carriageway and will smash straight through them. Properly **** piece of road design.

Ironically the link road to actually make it useful, a mere £274m 3.9 mile stretch now looks like it won't happen because there are bats living in the trees. The same bats they already knew about hence all the net bat bridges that have been put in.

Soldato
At a 3 way temporary traffic lights with a mini roundabout 30m going left.

BMW was 3 cars behind me drove on the pavement and smacked my passenger wing mirror as he went back on the road. He almost hit a car coming from the mini roundabout.

Mirror from wing fell off and the casing which is the same colour as my car cracked. Electrics have gone too.

What an absolute buffoon this BMW driver was. Wish I had dash cam. I will be out of pocket due to his impatience.

Soldato
Here's a badly drawn image:

A96WWbz.jpeg

Orange line is my mate driving in, turning right, then reversing back (blue bits are front of cars).

The neighbour then reversed out and turned straight into the drivers side doors as my mate was reversing to then turn right and drive back across my neighbour and my driveways. hope this helps?

Based on your drawing, the neighbour not only reversed out of their drive but then out of a junction.

It's the reversing out of a junction that your neighbour is going find difficult to explain, unless it's just a turnaround space, but even so they're still 100% at fault

Soldato
Based on your drawing, the neighbour not only reversed out of their drive but then out of a junction.

It's the reversing out of a junction that your neighbour is going find difficult to explain, unless it's just a turnaround space, but even so they're still 100% at fault
It's not a junction, it's more driveways/end of a cul-de-sac. I should have mentioned that :)
There was also a car parked opposite her driveway, don't know what she was thinking razzing out so crazily

Associate
Had someone the other day as I was driving on the M60 at 5am 60mph cruise control, car on the hard shoulder with hazards on stationary. As I'm about 6 cat lengths from it, indicator comes on and instantly pulls out into lane one at 5mph.
Luckily there was nothing in lane 2 so I could swerve but if there had of been I doubt I'd have stopped in time.
I'm amazed people don't know that your supposed to get up to speed on the shoulder before changing into lane 1.
Had this happen to me, almost caused a very nasty accident. I was driving a Hilux pickup towing a large trailer. Busy motorway, I'm in lane 1 doing about 60. The truck 30m in front passes a vehicle on the hard shoulder, this little Toyota Aygo. The old clown driving it decides that gap is big enough to pull out into from a standing start...
Young kids in the back as well. Hard on the brakes and had to swerve out into lane 2, nearly tipped the trailer. 2 wheels came off the floor.
As I fishtailed around I glanced at the person driving, some proper old coffin dodger peeking over the top of the steering wheel completely oblivious to him nearly getting annihilated.
I still rage about this now!

Soldato
Properly scary one this afternoon.

I was driving at around 85 down the motorway, only a couple of cars behind me, quite a way back. Noticed traffic stopped in the distance so lifted off and coasted for a while before gently braking to a stop, alongside an X3M. Looked at my phone while I was stopped to see what Waze said about the cause of the traffic, and in the second or two while I was looking at Waze a Toyota pickup slammed into the X3M alongside me at over 50MPH. Both cars written off, no obvious injuries, lots of glass and plastic fragments landed on my car. I considered getting out to help but they looked OK so I turned off instead, apparently several other cars crashed there a minute or so later so I reckon I made the right decision.

Man of Honour
Number of people I've seen the last 2 days on their phones, often combined with poor driving is shocking. At one point was in slow moving rush hour traffic and the lady behind me appeared to be doing a video call with someone and twice nearly went into the back of me, second time was considering remonstrating because it was getting silly but then my turning came up.

Yesterday got behind some kind of jeep doing 30-40 in a NSL and all over the place (not in a possible medical emergency kind of way), nearly mounted the verge a couple of times, looked like they were on their phone, then the stupid **** sped up when I was already committed to overtaking... matched me to 55 when they'd not gone over 45 before, fortunately I'd put my foot down to overtake.

Soldato
The amount of people I've seen actually HOLDING UP THEIR PHONE to use it while driving lately is bonkers. I've been seeing people obviously prodding their Satnav mounted phone for a couple of years, and often people looking down at their laps while sitting in queues. But literally busying up one hand?

I don't understand how people think it won't negatively affect their driving.

Soldato
The amount of people I've seen actually HOLDING UP THEIR PHONE to use it while driving lately is bonkers. I've been seeing people obviously prodding their Satnav mounted phone for a couple of years, and often people looking down at their laps while sitting in queues. But literally busying up one hand?

I don't understand how people think it won't negatively affect their driving.
TBF I'm not sure some people's driving could get any worse :p .

Man of Honour
Another one earlier - followed them for ~5 miles where they didn't exceed 48 MPH, get a chance to overtake and they speed up to 60 mid overtake and then follow me not far behind until they turn off 2-3 miles later... what is so wrong with them they couldn't just do 60 in the first place...

Man of Honour
People are morons. There is a road between my town and another about 5 miles away.

They’ve just made the whole road 40mph because of a “bad bend” aka one you need to slow down for in the wet.

There are a load of people wanting a massive speed reduction on the main road into the town I work because of one bad junction (well actually 2 but one that is particularly bad) but I've several times seen near misses there not involving significant speed just because of poor standards of driving. To be fair the road layout hasn't been updated in over 50 years and isn't appropriate for modern traffic but still.

Soldato
OP
Stuck behind someone today doing around 20mph in a 30mph, randomly speeds up to what I estimate was 40mph, sees a Police car travelling in the opposite direction (not even one that could monitor what speed he was doing) and slows back down to about 20mph. Takes a turn off a roundabout at approximately 5mph.

Also had a biker behind me this morning on a bit of dual carriageway. Was trying to filter but couldn't get between me and a van (I'd moved to create space). Changes lane, changes back. Changes lane a further 5 times in about 20 metres. Absolutely no idea where he was trying to go. Certainly didn't save any time and didn't end up filtering at the spots he could have.

Soldato
Have had so many dangerously close encounters while riding my bike and caught on cam (even ran into the back of one SUV and the gobby old Londoner blamed me) but that's OK because no one likes cyclists :cry:

Have had far too many distracted drivers (phone) veer into my path while driving, which, like cycling, is for me not a matter of if, but when it will happen.

Man of Honour
Have had so many dangerously close encounters while riding my bike and caught on cam (even ran into the back of one SUV and the gobby old Londoner blamed me) but that's OK because no one likes cyclists :cry:

Have had far too many distracted drivers (phone) veer into my path while driving, which, like cycling, is for me not a matter of if, but when it will happen.

I have quite mixed feelings on this topic hah - the other day I was driving to work at rush hour and there was 2 cyclists about 200-300m apart or so and it was causing absolute havoc and I noticed I was one of the few who passed the first cyclist making use of the other side of the carriageway, second cyclist fortunately turned off just as I was catching them up.

Soldato
I have quite mixed feelings on this topic hah - the other day I was driving to work at rush hour and there was 2 cyclists about 200-300m apart or so and it was causing absolute havoc and I noticed I was one of the few who passed the first cyclist making use of the other side of the carriageway, second cyclist fortunately turned off just as I was catching them up.

Not sure if serious or not.

Problems I see with cyclists in the large towns and cities seems to be the 'I've always done that' and the HO shipping out asylum seekers to the fleet of food deliver cyclists that haven't a clue wtf they are doing.

Man of Honour
Not sure if serious or not.

Problems I see with cyclists in the large towns and cities seems to be the 'I've always done that' and the HO shipping out asylum seekers to the fleet of food deliver cyclists that haven't a clue wtf they are doing.

The road I take to work is an absolute nightmare when you mix in even 1 cyclist let alone more at busier times regardless of their right to be there it just gets silly - you can end up crawling along behind a cyclist for a good couple of miles sometimes before a chance comes to pass them, which frustrates a good proportion of drivers into just brushing past or risky overtakes, etc. especially when there is more than one, or you just get past only for the cyclist to then move up to the front of the queue at the next set of lights LOL.

Soldato
The road I take to work is an absolute nightmare when you mix in even 1 cyclist let alone more at busier times regardless of their right to be there it just gets silly - you can end up crawling along behind a cyclist for a good couple of miles sometimes before a chance comes to pass them, which frustrates a good proportion of drivers into just brushing past or risky overtakes, etc. especially when there is more than one, or you just get past only for the cyclist to then move up to the front of the queue at the next set of lights LOL.

The answer is to buy a German car or Range Rover and just pile through :D

OH and if they are wearing dayglow Spandex they shouldn't even be let out...

At the end of the road I live on (1m long and dead straight) it is closed at the junction and is signed all the way down the road, but does that stop them and the laugh we have as the mostly female drivers struggle to do a 500 point U turn.

Back
Top Bottom